How to Approach a Bar?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: How to Approach a Bar?

Postby wh..sh » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:08 am

Igneouss wrote:
lemur wrote:dude broseph.. the tshirt, cargo shorts and beer are my costume... pssshhhhh

people these days!!!

Dressing like a frat boy does come with risks. There ya go... I have seen burners dress intentionally like sparkle ponies.

Whatever happened to radical inclusion? Sheesh! Frat boys are humans too... even though some haven't fully evolved :roll:
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Elliot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:20 am

wh..sh wrote:Whatever happened to radical inclusion? Sheesh! Frat boys are humans too... even though some haven't fully evolved :roll:

Well, there is radical, and then there is preposterous.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby remi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:29 am

As a burgin, I was unaware of the 'akwardness' that can be presented at these bars. It seems as people choose to forget to be self reliant and rely on other people for alchohal. I think I'm just going to bring a 60lbs of spiced rum everywhere I go. Plastic bottle = awesome. Speaking of, since i've never been to the playa, is the ground hard enough that if I dropped a bottle from hand height, would it break?

I think I'm going to bring a tv dinner table, and a backpack with mix, booze and ice and set up a mini bar whereever I see a bar that's been over crowded... just to take the pressure off. Spiced rum and cola or bust.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Elliot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:11 am

...alchohal...

No more for you, Remi!

DO NOT BRING GLASS! It's probably that simple. :D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:20 am

I've never run a bar, but I wouldn't refuse a drink to someone who dressed like a frat boy, whatever that means. I wouldn't stare them down and ask them if they are relying on me for a drink. Wouldn't be right.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby wh..sh » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:29 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:I've never run a bar, but I wouldn't refuse a drink to someone who dressed like a frat boy, whatever that means. I wouldn't stare them down and ask them if they are relying on me for a drink. Wouldn't be right.

Yeah, one night I ran into 4 really young people who might easily qualify as "college" students. As I started talking to them, I realized that one guy in the group has been there 3 weeks before the event and has been volunteering to build the city. Very intelligent and fun group. I can't quite figure out how to tell a so called infamous "frat boys" from rest of the young crowd if I can't quickly make judgements. Some people I met have been truly surprising. Burining man is not only for people going through mid life crisis you know...

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Savannah » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:32 am

remi wrote:As a burgin, I was unaware of the 'akwardness' that can be presented at these bars. It seems as people choose to forget to be self reliant and rely on other people for alchohal. I think I'm just going to bring a 60lbs of spiced rum everywhere I go. Plastic bottle = awesome. Speaking of, since i've never been to the playa, is the ground hard enough that if I dropped a bottle from hand height, would it break?

Bring some of your own alcohol, and either a flask or small canteen to decant into, plus your water canteen/camelback and a camping cup. Then you're ready for anything. :lol:

Will a bottle break from hand-height? It might. (The one such party foul I have seen involved one bottle actually hitting another, though). Glass is officially frowned upon, but hard to avoid entirely. Minimize problems by bringing a broom and dustpan, keeping control of any glass you do decide to bring, and not gifting beer in glass bottles to others. (This is why there is a fashion for Guinness, PBR, La Playa and other canned beers.)

I think I'm going to bring a tv dinner table, and a backpack with mix, booze and ice and set up a mini bar whereever I see a bar that's been over crowded... just to take the pressure off. Spiced rum and cola or bust.

This is probably obvious, but if you want to do this in someone else's bar, ask first. If you accidentally serve a minor, the bar could get in trouble for it.

Setting up a random tv tray bar somewhere is hilarious, though. If there's any question about age, make sure to check IDs and ask people if they can legally drink in the state of Nevada.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby 5280MeV » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 am

remi wrote:As a burgin, I was unaware of the 'akwardness' that can be presented at these bars. It seems as people choose to forget to be self reliant and rely on other people for alchohal. I think I'm just going to bring a 60lbs of spiced rum everywhere I go. Plastic bottle = awesome. Speaking of, since i've never been to the playa, is the ground hard enough that if I dropped a bottle from hand height, would it break?

I am going to say no. Most 750mL/1.5L bottles are easily tough enough to survive such a drop. However, if that bottle hits a rebar stake or something else metal holding up the bar you are at it will definitely break.

I don't even want to think about dealing with that sort of killer MOOP at a bar halfway across BRC from my camp. The responsibility to pick up the shards is huge as not only is it MOOP, but it is sharp, invisible, and littering a high traffic area where it will eventually end up in someone's foot. Even if you do manage to search out and pick up all those shards, you then have to figure out how you are going to get them to your camp and keep them from poking holes in your trash bag. Not fun.

With a plastic bottle - you can feel free to throw it on the ground on purpose - for dramatic effect.

I like your micro-bar idea. You could have a lot of fun setting it up in all sorts of crazy places - not just in front of overcrowded bars. The big soundsystem art-buses tend to like to go to the deep playa in the morning and throw parties - a bar there would be loved by all. Maybe with permission you could actually set up on top of a bar and have a meta-bar. Make sure to paint/decorate/mutate your table and give the bar a cool name.
5280MeV

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:26 am

Take the mini-bar up in The Man, and the temple!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby lucky420 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:01 pm

I took my mini bar cart all over the place. Shot in the DArk was a wonderful way to meet people and offering them chilled shots of booze brought many surprised smiles. Look for me again in 2012...

remi-if you do this we can have a shot off :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Nipple » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:29 pm

5280MeV wrote:I don't even want to think about dealing with that sort of killer MOOP at a bar halfway across BRC from my camp. The responsibility to pick up the shards is huge as not only is it MOOP, but it is sharp, invisible, and littering a high traffic area where it will eventually end up in someone's foot.

One of my favorite things to do is surf on the back of a campmates tall tandem bike. He has a platform over the rear wheel. (Almost like an Xtracycle deck) You just hop on as he's moving, and hold on the the anal beads on the back of his seat. We'd ride for hours in the deep playa just looking at the lights.

One night we came across a couple, on the ground, unlit in deep playa. He hit something on his bike, and landed hard on his shoulder. The 5th of whatever in his hand also was destroyed. We hung out with his crying girlfriend and loaned her some light while her jackass drunken boyfriend walked around in circles saying "FUCK THE GLASS, MY SHOULDER IS DISLOCATED...(It wasn't) IT MIGHT BE BROKEN! (It's not.) LETS GO."

So... we helped with the glass. Her boyfriend ... probably still her problem.

Edited to add: Forgot where I was going with that.

Oh yea... glass is bad.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:48 pm

I wouldn't put the boyfriend on my "heroes" list either.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby lemur » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:08 pm

just earlier that day i was talking to the boyfriend.. he had been there for 4 weeks and not only helped build the man, the temple.. but he saved 4 lives.

you never know when someone is just gonna go full out drunkard!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby wh..sh » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:40 pm

lemur wrote:just earlier that day i was talking to the boyfriend.. he had been there for 4 weeks and not only helped build the man, the temple.. but he saved 4 lives.

you never know when someone is just gonna go full out drunkard!

The boyfriend told me he also saved 4 aliens in Area 51 before his 4 week shift. True story.
What an interesting, fun fella!

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Nipple » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:52 pm

lemur wrote:you never know when someone is just gonna go full out drunkard!

You only get a first chance to make a best impression.
Nipple

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:38 am

Nipple wrote:

You don't even get that long before someone on the internet decided you're an asshole...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Comrade Bunny » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:47 am

What would be the best mixers to bring. Be specific please. I'd like to get this right. :D
"This is good, old-fashioned, nightmare fuel." -Crow T. Robot
Comrade Bunny

Postby wh..sh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:18 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Nipple wrote:

You don't even get that long before someone on the internet decided you're an asshole...

Story of my life... sigh!

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Nipple » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:29 pm

wh..sh wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:You don't even get that long before someone on the internet decided you're an asshole...

You're the right kind of asshole.
Nipple

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Comrade Bunny wrote:What would be the best mixers to bring. Be specific please. I'd like to get this right. :D

Blood of a rabbit always works.

Past that, hm. You what, you're going have to find out for yourself. There are Bloody Mary fundamentalists. There are those who want Margarita mix. There are sluts who will take any fruit juice. There are people who will toss your offering of Clamato into the nearest burn barrel. There are hard-drinkers who have been on the playa so long they will cut the booze with anything gifted. There is the Kantina where the law is: Drink it neat or drink it nyet.
In other words, you're fucked. There is no right way.
Bwahahahaha!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Bwahahahaha!

:lol:

. . . Canned Coke, Sprite, Tonic, etc are also nice.
Savannah

Postby wh..sh » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:56 am

Nipple wrote:
wh..sh wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:You don't even get that long before someone on the internet decided you're an asshole...

You're the right kind of asshole.

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me **wipes happy tears away**

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:15 pm

i find if you wear a name tag, it's easier to start up a conversation.

Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Comrade Bunny wrote:What would be the best mixers to bring. Be specific please. I'd like to get this right. :D

Agave nectar. Its organic. My 55 Gal drum may run out. :mrgreen:
2 parts tequila, 1 part agave nectar, 1 part lime juice.
Serve over crushed ice.
So simple, so good. - Visit my bus if you agree. I should have plenty.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Savannah wrote:
Bwahahahaha!

..Cranberry Juice Cocktail (don't get the diet shit), Lemonade, Limeade, Mango Juice, Pineapple Juice, OJ....

Just think of things that mix easily with multiple liquors- bars can & will use anything basic as a mixer. One suggestion- hold on to them until around Weds night or Thursday & then gift them to your favorite bar(s)- it helps them restock for the weekend.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:15 pm

Eric wrote:
Savannah wrote:
Bwahahahaha!

..Cranberry Juice Cocktail (don't get the diet shit), Lemonade, Limeade, Mango Juice, Pineapple Juice, OJ....

Just think of things that mix easily with multiple liquors- bars can & will use anything basic as a mixer. One suggestion- hold on to them until around Weds night or Thursday & then gift them to your favorite bar(s)- it helps them restock for the weekend.

Not to mention that some of that can be consumed with or without alcohol. As if.....
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby Bexx » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:49 pm

mixers mixers mixers!! more so than booze - is usually greatly welcome! - BUT not expected. Just a friendly face is all the gift you need to bring. - and a willingness to drink something that looks like PISS! ;) - which was the drink I served @ My camp's bar. - It was Whipped Vodka and Diet Sun Drop... and believe you me, I had people leaving the bar saying they had just drank the best PISS in all the world.!! So that made it even better when people would walk up and REQUEST IT! ;) hehehhee.

Bring your own cup and or shot glass - and tell us how your day is going!
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby JStep » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:46 am

lucky420 wrote:I took my mini bar cart all over the place. Shot in the DArk was a wonderful way to meet people and offering them chilled shots of booze brought many surprised smiles. Look for me again in 2012...

Still have my shot glass! :) <3
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby lemur » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:14 am

if ya ask me one of the best mixers to bring to the playa is powder based mixes..

stuff like COUNTRY TIME LEMONADE mix.. that shit mixes with lotsa stuff, lotsa people will drink it.. takes up not so much space.. just add water .. and we all have that.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby gyre » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:17 am

There are powder mixes for all kinds of things, including mango.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks