Anyone have playa regrets?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Anyone have playa regrets?

Postby moonrise » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:48 am

Yes, one guy in an RV group basically forced the others to consider leaving early. They found him a ride out to Reno airport and he flew back to the SF Bay Area (you'd think he'd have known something about burning man being from SF Bay Area, apparently not enough to cope with the elements, getting lost, and other accumulated issues)

Wow! There's a LOT of sage advice here in this thread...Wow! (I'm still being wow'ed, often and always)

For those of us living in the shadow of the black rock, we have it made because we enjoy strong burning man regional activity. Then there's always online burning, but I feel going to burning man at least once is important for maximizing online burning (not sure if that's the proper term) and of course for truly understanding the basic first impression of being there, in the flesh. :P :idea: :!:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:25 pm

I highly recommend a non-BM related camping trip if the Black Rock is within the perimeter of your life, or even just outside of it. There is really nothing like it and it gives you a deeper connection to the playa and not just BM.

When you are in the middle of the Black Rock on a clear night, you can look up and the scene that you see will give you a sublime understanding of what "the vault of heaven" really is.

If you choose to do this, make sure you get some form of marking lights for your camp spot and please remember to LNT.

A night or two on the playa off-season will touch you ways you can't imagine.

Playa regrets? Yes - that I can no longer camp there a few nights every year.
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby essjay » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
to see someone find their footing, to suddenly know themselves, and become who they actually are is the best reward EVER for dragging them kicking and screaming across the country to go to some goddamn camping trip in the middle of KnoWhere.

to see the look in their eyes when on wednesday afternoon they stop you , and almost tearfully say "Thank you'...

there is no better gift.

I agree with previous posters that the playa isn't for everybody and should not be forced upon anyone. I sometimes talk about my favorable experiences at Burning Man in daily conversation and when somebody approaches me about wanting to go, I first tell them to read everything on burningman.com and also tell them all the things that are difficult about BM and try to make sure that they have a good warning of the potential hardships.

I've sherpa'd a few burgins over the years as well, and Simon stated it very nicely . . . I've had a couple of tearful mid-week "thank you's" and those have been some of my most rewarding experiences on the playa. There are some people who need to be at BM, and seeing them recognize a few days into their first burn is priceless.
essjay

Postby SouthernExposure » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:to see the look in their eyes when on wednesday afternoon they stop you , and almost tearfully say "Thank you'...
there is no better gift.

Wednesday? We arrived on the playa just after sunrise on Monday and while I was walking over to the PortaPotties to pee I broke down sobbing. The realization that I was standing on the playa at Burning Man slammed into me like a landslide. I got back to camp and hugged the girl that had brought me, thanked her and cried unashamedly. It meant that much to me. I almost lost it when the greeter told me "Welcome home."

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby maryanimal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:21 pm

My regrets are that I didn't create my own burn until it was too late. I wanted someone to share my burn with when all along, I could've and should've gone out on my own, met people see things, just have a fecking good time. It wasn't until I watched the man burn that it hit me...IT hit me. What IT was all about...Next year, It's going to be a lot different. If someone wants to cruise with me, that'll be a plus, and if not, a plus also!

*Oh! I talked to Foxyfurpants about making a small flamethrower, he gave me a new name...MaryAnarchist!! LOL* :lol:
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:36 pm

Jeeze Louise Mary, you only had oh, I don't know, maybe a hundred people who were and are happy to hang with you. Maybe you should look inwards rather than beyond. But then again, maybe I've just been drinking too much wine.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:37 pm

It takes some of us a while to find our "burn legs", maryanarchist.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Jeeze Louise Mary, you only had oh, I don't know, maybe a hundred people who were and are happy to hang with you. Maybe you should look inwards rather than beyond. But then again, maybe I've just been drinking too much wine.

Maybe you're right and you're drunk.

(Enviable.)

Maryanimal, I spent a lot of my first couple of Burns on my own socially quite a bit. Didn't keep any friends until 2008. You'll get it sorted out way faster than I did, by comparison.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby maryanimal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Jeeze Louise Mary, you only had oh, I don't know, maybe a hundred people who were and are happy to hang with you. Maybe you should look inwards rather than beyond. But then again, maybe I've just been drinking too much wine.

I realize that Doc, believe it or not, I'm rather shy.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:It takes some of us a while to find our "burn legs", maryanarchist.

I found mine, just too late in the week fishy. But during the times I was out on my own (which was usually during the day), I had a blast! Or I was in the med tent due to dehydration. Some of us dumb burgins never listen! :mrgreen: 8)
maryanimal

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:01 pm

well, good on ya Maryanarchist........well done.
you've found, more, than some of the crop of burngins did this year.........and, more than some vets ever will............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby maryanimal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Awwww shucks Yg...*blushes* thanks!
maryanimal

Postby jcliff » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:09 pm

I myself have a pretty deep playa regret and I'm hoping that by posting it I can let it go and move on and look toward next year. After 3 Burns of being a relatively solo playa nomad and explorer, this year I stuck mainly to my village. What I mean to say is that I barely got out of my village. Don't get me wrong, I had an awesome time. But, Saturday rolled around and I suddenly realized I had hardly seen any art, I partied way too hard all week, I didn't visit any of the side streets, didn't go to one scheduled activity in the book, missed a couple of my scheduled shifts in my village, only went to Center Camp for a coffee once, and basically had only an awesome hangover to prove that I was at Burning Man. My village has great people partying at all hours and I took full advantage of it this year. I'm really regretful that I didn't have at least one day of exploring the city. I'm trying to tell myself that after 3 Burns I'm allowed a lazy, party Burn....but I don't think I believe myself.

The long of the short is, I did have a good Burn. I got to know people in my village more than I ever had before. But it pains me to see beautiful pictures from the Burn and realize that I could have seen it in person. I believe that we have to learn from our mistakes. I was so disgusted with myself coming back home that I honestly thought it would be my last Burn. Having some time to reflect, I now realize that I need to let it go. Next year will be a better Burn. I miss the opportunities for inspiration that I had this year. So be it. Next year I'll have to set some guidelines for myself. Just because someone shoves a bottle of Jim Beam in your face at 7 am, doesn't mean you have to drink it!

I feel better. Thanks for the opportunity to share regrets.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby maryanimal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:24 pm

*btw, MaryAnarchist is just my nickname, I'm still sweet li'l maryanimall!!*
maryanimal

Postby Nipple » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:30 pm

I have a pretty similar regret J. I went everywhere by bike, and fast. The only times I got out and about on foot were when I couldn't sleep each night. I would walk around until 4 or 5 in the morning. I ended up interacting with quite a few people then.

Being social is work. I'm good at it, but... it takes effort. Any chemicals I introduce to myself make it that much harder to interact. So, while my early morning walks were interactive...they weren't really particularly fruitful.

My recourse for this is that we (one of the other members in the Unicycle Gang, and myself) are building a Pedicab for next year. So between that, and going by foot through town... should be set for some interesting interactions.
Nipple

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:59 am

My regret every year is the same and every year I swear I'll change.. then the same.

I have a hard time stopping and interacting with random camps. My social instinct is that I'm imposing.. no matter how inviting the camp. I end up doing the normal rounds of coffee at camp, visit the one bar I'm comfy with, head to Distrikt until 6ish, back to camp, eat dinner, pony up for the night, go walk the playa until sunrise-ish.

I end up missing out on so much random interaction every year. But.. next year will be different, right?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby MOOP_Czar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:06 am

junglesmacks wrote:My regret every year is the same and every year I swear I'll change.. then the same.

I have a hard time stopping and interacting with random camps. My social instinct is that I'm imposing.. no matter how inviting the camp. I end up doing the normal rounds of coffee at camp, visit the one bar I'm comfy with, head to Distrikt until 6ish, back to camp, eat dinner, pony up for the night, go walk the playa until sunrise-ish.

I end up missing out on so much random interaction every year. But.. next year will be different, right?

I can give you a patch and a bullhorn...

Maybe it will help?

Become part of a Theme Group - you can still be a member of the Camp you are with, but it might broaden your experience.

Just saying...
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby Rabbette » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:19 am

Visit/Walk to MORE camps in the day.

It was weird getting started for the day. I had outfits picked out & had a meal scheduel (so I didn't have to "think" about what I needed/wanted to eat) Yet I still managed to puts about my tent for WAY more hours than I intended.

I would like to be even a bit more organized (at least for getting my crap together and OUT the TENT door) So I could ride about or walk and just enjoy the randomness of it all.

Yes I will DO IT!
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby BBadger » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:25 am

Nipple wrote:I have a pretty similar regret J. I went everywhere by bike, and fast. The only times I got out and about on foot were when I couldn't sleep each night. I would walk around until 4 or 5 in the morning. I ended up interacting with quite a few people then.

In some ways I have the same regret... last year, our bikes were stolen the first night we were out (technically the second, but we arrived at 2AM), so it forced us to walk the remainder of the event. Yeah, it sucked, but at the same time it felt more paced and not so much about just seeing things and taking off like it did this year. We did go on foot a bit this year as well, but again it was more like "oh, uh, let's head towards that thing"... like site seeing rather than just, well, exploring. I like exploring.

junglesmacks wrote:I have a hard time stopping and interacting with random camps. My social instinct is that I'm imposing.. no matter how inviting the camp. I end up doing the normal rounds of coffee at camp, visit the one bar I'm comfy with, head to Distrikt until 6ish, back to camp, eat dinner, pony up for the night, go walk the playa until sunrise-ish.

Just like my schedule (sans Distrikt)! Though I've only gone twice, but it felt the same. The only time I ever set foot into another camp was the very first night, when nothing was set up except a few placed camps. I wandered into some theme tent/camp place with a bar and sat down on one of the nice couches. But it wasn't even social. I didn't talk to anyone, I didn't get a drink (well, didn't have a cup), and really just wanted to sit down with the friends I was exploring with. Maybe I'll visit your camp next year jungle, to compare notes or something.

I guess I just don't feel comfortable walking into some camp with a bunch of people I don't know and striking up a conversation with someone. Come to think of it, I didn't really even visit the bar at our camp, because I only knew so many people. I know I did enjoy it when people would show up at our camp and chat it up (except for that would-be thief), but it just wasn't my thing to visit strange neighborhoods, enter some bar, talk about shit... I'm not sure what would change that either, even now, from behind this keyboard.

Oh well, I had a great time anyway, and those things are only regrets now, not regrets then. I'd be more worried if they were immediate regrets.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:10 am

Exactly. No matter what, it really was the best burn EVAR
:lol:
junglesmacks

Postby ambird » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:41 am

As someone who constantly struggles with regret, I was pleasantly surprised that I regret nothing about my experience at Burning Man. This was my first year and I certainly learned a lot, and there are some things I'd do differently next year, but I am uncharactaristically at peace with the imperfect parts of the week. I think the advice I read on eplaya about trying to let go of expectations helped me to relax and let it be.
ambird

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:56 am

junglesmacks wrote:My regret every year is the same and every year I swear I'll change.. then the same.

JS- honestly, I feel the same way. I get very nervous just heading into camps, even bar camps, if I'm on my own. Just the way I'm wired. Obviously I have none of those issues at my own camp, so bartending at Fandango, esp this past year, has been a lovely day-time excuse to talk to people (and 3am excuse to get my rib fractured, but I digress... :shock: ).

There is nothing wrong with hanging out at the one bar you're comfortable with- you can meet great people and, if you allow yourself the freedom, those people can lead to random interactions.

You are more than welcome to hang out at Fandango as much as you wish.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:56 am

If you moop outside a camp, you'll likely get some invitations to come in.

Or maybe not. Maybe those theme campers were nice to me because they saw me as an inspiration...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:38 am

Lol.. FWIW, the "one bar" I was referring to is Fandango. The girl and I would make daily stops around 1pm. Like a pair of fuzzy, comfy bunny slippers y'all are.. :wink:

Next year though, come hell or high water.. we're making a point of more interaction with theme camps. We made am agreement that each day we visit or interact with at least 5 different camps. Even if it means walking in for 30 seconds before we GTFO, at least we have it that shot..

I think much of it comes from not a shy side.. which I'm not by any means.. but my sheer fear/hatred of ever being "that guy". I hate to be socially offensive in any way.. it's just my nature. As much sometimes as I may come off on here as a snarky bastard, I'm actually a super polite/caring/accomodating person in reality.. just a little sarcastic and playful. I mean well though, I do. Another story altogether.

Where were we?
junglesmacks

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:09 am

junglesmacks wrote:Lol.. FWIW, the "one bar" I was referring to is Fandango. The girl and I would make daily stops around 1pm. Like a pair of fuzzy, comfy bunny slippers y'all are.. :wink:

Next year though, come hell or high water.. we're making a point of more interaction with theme camps. We made am agreement that each day we visit or interact with at least 5 different camps. Even if it means walking in for 30 seconds before we GTFO, at least we have it that shot..

I think much of it comes from not a shy side.. which I'm not by any means.. but my sheer fear/hatred of ever being "that guy". I hate to be socially offensive in any way.. it's just my nature. As much sometimes as I may come off on here as a snarky bastard, I'm actually a super polite/caring/accomodating person in reality.. just a little sarcastic and playful. I mean well though, I do. Another story altogether.

Where were we?

We were right here wondering why the fuck we didn't find your camp, or, vice versa!

Seriously, Barbie Death Camp is easy to find and you do know LOTS of people there...

and, the couches are quite comfortable. 8)

Actually BDC is probably the most physically open and easily penetrable camp on the playa :lol: note the difficulty we had keeping random folks out during the ePlaya Meet & Greet. :roll: And we're extremely diverse. I think the only way to acheive "that guy" status at BDC is to bring in a poorly constructed and hideously MOOPish sequined jacket. I have something to say to THAT guy. :evil:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:14 am

theCryptofishist wrote:If you moop outside a camp, you'll likely get some invitations to come in.

Or maybe not. Maybe those theme campers were nice to me because they saw me as an inspiration...

Stag Camp applauds MOOPers regularly (and sometimes awards prizes).
Savannah

Postby moonrise » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:24 am

HUH, I think I'm an introverted extrovert? Someone once told me that. I find myself meandering into allll sorts of camps and sometimes trouble (yikes) My only regrets I can think of at this moment are not spending more time in the blocks comprised of Terminal City, BDC, and that area. I did spend some time there, but not quite enough due to freinds from my distant past being camped waaaay over on the oppsite side of the city.

Also, I regret not seeking out FIGJAM at his camp, he was only 5 blocks away :oops:

Next year perhaps there could be a thread created with a title for the eplaya neighborhood! (just a thought, I dunno know...)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby graidawg » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:05 am

Hehe, playa regrets? well i dont have regrets as such just things i will do different next time. actually having some sort of plan, nothing major just a list of things to do. but i guess with playa bingo, pirating and BDC duties i should have a fairly packed week anyway.

oh yea i do have one regret not actually making it to the conclave. that kind of sucked. it would of been nice to do the one thing i had planned to do for 8 months or so.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks