Another crop of Canadian Virgins for 2012

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby remi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Greetings burners.

A small group of us are comming for the first time next year. We have gone to quite a few festivals, and done a fair amount of research to know there is no better place in the world to be the Burning Man. We're going to be set up with a bunch of RV's with AC and a Playa Dome shelta as seen on http://www.shelter-systems.com/playadomes.html for our main camp. The only part we're having trouble with is our mutant vehicle project, however I'm confident that we'll have something down there that will benefit everyone that loves to dance.

I was wondering, for those of you with experience dealing with the DMV, what are some tips you can give me to ensure my vehicle get registered (apart from the obvious criteria given on the website at http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... teria.html . I don't want to give away too much of what I'm working on, but I'm guessing the #1 thing to focus on is the first thing on the list: Level of Mutation. Any tips on specific things they look for, or tips for helping a vehicle run in the desert in the evening.

Sorry for getting carried away there... I really just wanted to say hi to everyone, and I'm looking forward to seeing you all on the Playa next year!

Cheers,
:D
Remi
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Re: Another crop of Canadian Virgins for 2012

Postby jkisha » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi, and welcome to ePlaya. I'm giving this thread a nudge over to Q&A, since I think that's a better fit for the majority of the post.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:34 pm

I was wondering, for those of you with experience dealing with the DMV, what are some tips you can give me to ensure my vehicle get registered (apart from the obvious criteria given on the website at http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... teria.html . I don't want to give away too much of what I'm working on, but I'm guessing the #1 thing to focus on is the first thing on the list: Level of Mutation. Any tips on specific things they look for, or tips for helping a vehicle run in the desert in the evening.

Dr Helix's reply:

Good luck on your MV project. Having brought two small MV's to the playa in the past four years I would tell you that the vehicle must be radically altered. You have touched on this but I can't emphasize it enough. Large MV's do get more leniency here, but it still is vitally important. Make sure you have a good plan and pictures of what you're proposing and submit it to the DMV as soon as they take applications (This will be on the BM website) Don't wait! If you do it early, they generally can critique and give you suggestions if they feel you haven't done enough. Wait till the last moment, and they'll just say no. Safety is paramount. You'll need entrance and egress plans, first aid and safety procedures and with many of the larger vehicles, monitors who walk along and clear the way. The second is to make sure the MV has some sort of interaction. If you plan on a large MV, then talk to the nature of the experience you want to provide on board. Don't just say its a party platform.....plenty of those out there. Be creative and emphasize that this is for the playans to interact with and enjoy. Having said that, there is no guarantee that it will be accepted. MV's are getting harder and harder to get on the playa due to the huge amount of applications sent in each year. And if you're going to run at night, It has be REALLY lit up and enhance the evening. Have fun and hope to see you out there!!!!!!!!!!!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby essjay » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:35 pm

remi wrote: We have gone to quite a few festivals, and done a fair amount of research to know there is no better place in the world to be the Burning Man. We're going to be set up with a bunch of RV's with AC and a Playa Dome shelta as seen on http://www.shelter-systems.com/playadomes.html for our main camp. The only part we're having trouble with is our mutant vehicle project, however I'm confident that we'll have something down there that will benefit everyone that loves to dance.

Cheers,
:D
Remi

You are off to a good start with that sentiment above. Hope you enjoy your first burn!

One word of caution: it is a massive event, it takes lots of work just to get there and can be overwhelming. You sound like you are up to task, but know that the world will not be over if you don't have an MV and that is a tall order for a first year's burn. BM is only a week long, requires lots of work to set-up and tear down, and since you are coming from Canada, you have the extra chore of a very long voyage.

That's great if you can bring an MV down with you - just keep in mind that it will be lots of extra work and most camps don't attempt that on their first year. Again - more power too you if you guys can pull it off. I would just caution you to think through all of the logistics and determine whether it is really a good idea for your first year. I've had an MV in the past and they can sometimes consume your week - may take away from some of the freedoms that you would like on your first year (to explore and see other things) depending on the effort the MV will require. You don't want to be tied to it for the week.
essjay

Postby remi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks for all you help guys. I understand this perticular festival will need a lot of planning.. that's why I'm on the forum 49 weeks prior to the festival. I'm lucky in the fact that one of my buddies that's comming with me owns a shop with all the tools needed to weld, bend pipe, store vehicle, etc. I guess the one thing I'm going to keep in mind while proceeding with this project is 'radical mutation.'

Cheers,

Remi
remi

Postby ygmir » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:40 am

welcome!! we love our northern neighbors, and with your arrival, the CQ will go up dramatically. That's a good thing.
I'm not sure if there is any sort of quota on Canadians this year, but, I know for the sportsmen (and sportswomen) on the playa, more is better. "catch and release" Canadian stalking is huge there.

and, good on ya, for coming in early, and planning/asking questions.
Never mind the snark......it just means we love ya!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:26 am

Hi Remi!
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby remi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Savannah wrote:Hi Remi!

Hi Savannah!
remi

Postby Sail Man » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:39 am

ygmir wrote:welcome!! we love our northern neighbors, and with your arrival, the CQ will go up dramatically. That's a good thing.
I'm not sure if there is any sort of quota on Canadians this year, but, I know for the sportsmen (and sportswomen) on the playa, more is better. "catch and release" Canadian stalking is huge there.

and, good on ya, for coming in early, and planning/asking questions.
Never mind the snark......it just means we love ya!!

Hippy :wink:

Welcome to the board Remi, it's all in fun :mrgreen:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks