virgin question: is it REALLY that hot?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: virgin question: is it REALLY that hot?

Postby graidawg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:50 pm

i sufferrred a lot my first few days, seriously i lost a lot of eloctrolytes in spite of bacon for breakfast and eating slim jims all day, plus a camelback with cordial in it. drinking milkshake like 3 times day, only 1 coffee in the morning and generally taking all the warnings very seriously. if there hadnt been so many warnings i would have had ashitty week. thanks to v8 bloody marys, a beer and about 2 litres of water i only lost a day to feeling crap.
so some of you may find it easy I DIDNT. lets continue to err on the side of caution if these posts had been up when i started reading i would probably of got heat stroke
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Are you sure it was a lack of electrolytes or just plain ol' dehydration? Specifically, was it in your muscles that you felt bad?

(Note that I'm not saying you're wrong, but sometimes it's just having the water or fructose that makes you feel better).
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Trishntek » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:21 pm

Bbadger wrote:
The 1.5-2.5gal per day estimation is a bit high for my standards. Plus, I'm rarely doing much during the day when I'd be sweating, and as stated before, being in the shade mitigates that. To stay adequately hydrated: drink when you're thirsty, and always have the water on-hand,,,

Just a couple comments, the 1.5 gallon per day per person is TOTAL water needs for hydration, cooking and cleaning.

Also, as a healthcare professional specializing in the area of urinary issues, if you FEEL thirsty, your body is already about a quart low. Keeping the kidneys flowing prevents sediments collecting and the formation of kidney stones. SIXTY-PERCENT of all kidney stones are caused by dehydration. Under dehydrated circumstances, a kidney stone can form instantaneously.

"Peeing too much" is better than the alternative. Lytes are easily replaced, a kidney stone will fuck your burn like nothing else.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Trishntek wrote:SIXTY-PERCENT of all kidney stones are caused by dehydration. Under dehydrated circumstances, a kidney stone can form instantaneously.

"Peeing too much" is better than the alternative. Lytes are easily replaced, a kidney stone will fuck your burn like nothing else.

Talk about "fuck yer day"!!!
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Trishntek wrote:"Peeing too much" is better than the alternative. Lytes are easily replaced, a kidney stone will fuck your burn like nothing else.

Can I get an "Amen"? Luckily I haven't had one at the Burn, but flying with one last year was one of the worst experiences of my life. Sadly I have the genetic kind (uric acid buildup), not the dehydration kind. So far the pills have kept them in check for the last year...

Since I did actually get dehydrated this year, I'm bringing an arsenal with me next year: cocoanut water, electrolytes, vitalyte... anything I can find...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Cute boy with saline drip on tap...

I know you, Eric...
(I just wish I had your seductive skills.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby graidawg » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:58 am

BBadger wrote:Are you sure it was a lack of electrolytes or just plain ol' dehydration? Specifically, was it in your muscles that you felt bad?

(Note that I'm not saying you're wrong, but sometimes it's just having the water or fructose that makes you feel better).

i had drunk about 3 litres of water in the morning, and was constantly sipping on my camelback, i felt like i had the 'flu - sore back generally achy bit of a headache. i was really suffering with acclimatizing till tuesday, once i had i was ok and was ok with drinking a litre before i left the camp and carrying about 1.5 with me (2 small bottles and a flask with 70cl in)
now i know it takes me awhile to get to speed back home i will make sure i have a bottle of something other than water or booze at all times.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks