One thing you learned on playa this year

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:56 am

Canoe wrote:
Too Early wrote:Cleaning a rental RV afterwards... You'll never get to all those nooks and crannies ...

floor & tables: water & vinegar wipe, then swiffer pad wipe - spotless
walls, closets, doors, windows, mirrors, dash, etc.: Swiffer Duster - one pass
plastic floor under driver & passenger front: PITFA - wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe...

First stop - truck wash. In addition to the outside cleaning (and gort the bikes pretty clean as well, their vacumn reached all the doorways and eliminated the bulk of entry way crud.

Wally mart parking lot - empty entire RV and bag or clean everything before reloading

While empty we did a full pass with the swiffers first, followed by clorox wipes.

Remaining caked in crud on ridged vinyl flooring up front - Cheap scrub brush from Wally mart to break it up, then swiffer, then water in garden sprayer and paper towel.

We got our full deposit back.

Canoe wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:...Bring good boots - I couldn't bring myself to thrash a $200 pair of boots so I bought a $40 pair for the burn. I had several blisters by Tuesday even though I had been wearing them for a month and thought they were broken in. Never again will I bring cheap boots...

Sandels. Broken in. No problems. Light. Cool.

If the condition of my hands is any indication of what would happen to my feet - that is out of the question for me.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Turnip » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Don't try to get emotional revenge when your boyfriend hurts your feelings.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby ibdave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Turnip wrote:Don't try to get emotional revenge when your boyfriend hurts your feelings.

ouch, been in those shoes a few times over the years on the Playa... Just not smart on both ends... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Turnip wrote:Don't try to get emotional revenge when your boyfriend hurts your feelings.

As with most things, cattle prods work much better.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:45 pm

I can't limit it to one:

One can enjoy their solitude and still participate fully. Every interaction was on my terms, no peer pressure, no dealing with douchebags (IRL plonk). I have too much time, energy, money invested to let anyone ruin it this year. I don't think I'll ever go again any way but solo. In short, I learned the true meanin of radical self-reliance and, above all, to like myself.

Waterproof work boots kept all dust off the feet, the only thing that got dusted was the top rim of my socks. I was happily surprised that my feet didn't sweat in them.

If you're going to use a pool noodle for guy lines either thread it through the middle or cut it at home. I used a pocket knife and it was moopy (but everything was collected).

Folk were right about the u posts bending but I had a plan B and found that reinforcing with rebar did the trick (I couldn't find 3' t posts so went with the u posts)

Next time take more food (I don't know how I did it but was short 2 meals) and less clothes.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Foxfur » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:12 pm

An orange reflective safety vest can save your life at night and makes a fashion statement around the clock. Plus, people from all over the playa will recognize you when they see you anywhere else.

Jungle boots are not just for the jungle.

Buying a bike in Gerlach is painless.

Four bottles of Tabasco sauce is just right to last through the burn, but , you should bring an extra bottle if you plan to go camping afterwards :D
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Foxfur » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:47 pm

3M's 8979N Nuclear grade duct tape is worth every penny. After baking in the sun for 12 days, it came right off the fiberglass trailer as well as the truck without leaving a trace of adhesive.

When riding on the Gypsy Queen, yelling down from the crow's nest to people snorting cocaine off the tip of a pocket knife on the fore deck that you are amazed their shit doesn't blow away will result in you being offered a bump (graciously declined).

Food-Nazi hippies will eat food loaded with corn syrup and preservatives once they're stoned enough.

It's actually possible to find brownies WITHOUT pot in them if you look hard enough.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby illy dilly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Foxfur wrote:When riding on the Gypsy Queen, yelling down from the crow's nest to people snorting cocaine off the tip of a pocket knife on the fore deck that you are amazed their shit doesn't blow away will result in you being offered a bump (graciously declined).

LOL!
Where you ever at the Gypsy Queen's HQ? They were camped at 3:30 and G, we were caddy corner across the street from them!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Trusting people will be disappointing.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby graidawg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Foxfur wrote:
It's actually possible to find brownies WITHOUT pot in them if you look hard enough.

I must remember to look for brownies at all next year.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Canoe wrote:
Too Early wrote:Cleaning a rental RV afterwards... You'll never get to all those nooks and crannies ...

floor & tables: water & vinegar wipe, then swiffer pad wipe - spotless
walls, closets, doors, windows, mirrors, dash, etc.: Swiffer Duster - one pass
plastic floor under driver & passenger front: PITFA - wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe...

Only change I would recommend is to use the Swiffer cloths first, not second. Once you use water or vinegar you start the playa-into-clay transformation, using the swiffer cloths (I actually use the cheap Walgreens ones) first gets tons of dust up before you get it wet. It's amazing how much dust one of those babies will grab.

My lesson this year: dehydration is real. More electrolytes next year, and don't be afraid to have your friends haul you to EMT for saline no matter how long you've been going. *ugh*
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 pm

I baked pot free brownies on the playa this year. Had you stopped by you could have had them warn out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a glass of ice cold milk!

graidawg wrote:
Foxfur wrote:

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:30 pm

I prefer my browniies "unloaded"... pot gives them an offtaste that's hard to correct.

WE had Neopolitan Ice Ceam this year... WOOHOO! Ice Cream on the playa!! Go Strawberry and Chocolate goodness!!!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby BBadger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Foxfur wrote:3M's 8979N Nuclear grade duct tape is worth every penny. After baking in the sun for 12 days, it came right off the fiberglass trailer as well as the truck without leaving a trace of adhesive.

This year reinforced my hatred for cheapo, shitty "National" brand duct tape that tears down the center multiple times before you can finally rip off a piece. That shit is the equivalent of single--no, make that quarter--ply toilet paper. I bet I could've put that shit in the porta potties and it wouldn't have caused any problems (no, I did not try it!).

Eric wrote:Only change I would recommend is to use the Swiffer cloths first, not second. Once you use water or vinegar you start the playa-into-clay transformation, using the swiffer cloths (I actually use the cheap Walgreens ones) first gets tons of dust up before you get it wet. It's amazing how much dust one of those babies will grab.

For sunglasses, use wet wipes for the initial wipe, and then force-dry them with toilet paper or some other softer tissue so to avoid spots. Worked great!

-----

What did I learn? Make sure to verify that people are actually with your camp, and or a known friend of people, before inviting them to go with you, lest they be (bike) thieves. Fortunately, the whole incident that spawned that learning experience turned out to have no let loss, except time.
Last edited by BBadger on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Trishntek » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 pm

I've come to terms with the fact I must,,,, as a theme camp sponsor,,,, be an asshole on the playa. Hoping camp mates would cooperatively take on responsibilities was not really naive,,, just hopeful that structure would not be necessary. But alas, people are still selfish in BRC.

I learned that Graidawg is better than he appears on paper/monitor and his heart is more beautiful than I imagined.

Listen carefully to what my soul tells me about certain individuals who seem "obscure" in the phone conversations and emails. My suspicions were proven correct too late. Trust but verify.

Most importantly, I learned that nubile belly dancers are a marvelous addition to our camp!
Edited numerous times to load pic correctly,,,, sheesh!
Last edited by Trishntek on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby graidawg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:34 pm

jkisha wrote:I baked pot free brownies on the playa this year. Had you stopped by you could have had them warn out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a glass of ice cold milk!

graidawg wrote:
Foxfur wrote:

ice cream on the playa oh i would of killed for that and milk yummy (though we had lots of chocolate and strawberry milk)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:34 pm

I learned that expensive gaffer's tape isn't all it's cracked up to be.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby graidawg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:I prefer my browniies "unloaded"... pot gives them an offtaste that's hard to correct.

WE had Neopolitan Ice Ceam this year... WOOHOO! Ice Cream on the playa!! Go Strawberry and Chocolate goodness!!!

neopolitan ice cream? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: AAARGGGHHHH! fuck you are going in my must get to your camp list for next year right now!
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:39 pm

I had an excess of brownies, I gifted some to a very grateful young couple and we discussed recipes. Evidently he had a rep on some Phish tour for some righteous rice krispie treats.

I should have known better, before long I was entertaining some new found friends of theirs asking if I knew where to get all sorts of strange combinations of letters. I sent them on their way with a cupful of wine and best wishes on their quest.

I learned to gift some things to more discreet folk.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:39 pm

I brought a big 5 quart tub of ice cream to the M&G. Please don't tell me you didn't get any. :(
jkisha wrote:I baked pot free brownies on the playa this year. Had you stopped by you could have had them warn out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a glass of ice cold milk!

graidawg wrote:
Foxfur wrote:

graidawg wrote: ice cream on the playa oh i would of killed for that and milk yummy (though we had lots of chocolate and strawberry milk)
JK
jkisha

Postby graidawg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:46 pm

jkisha wrote:I brought a big 5 quart tub of ice cream to the M&G. Please don't tell me you didn't get any. :(
jkisha wrote:
ok I won't tell you.

i will just cry quietly to myself that iwas too busy having fun to run off with my first love (ice cream)
Trishntek wrote:I learned that Graidawg is better than he appears on paper/monitor and his heart is more beautiful than I imagined.
Most importantly, I learned that nubile belly dancers are a marvelous addition to our camp!

oh thank you TnT I dont want to make anybody sad but you give the best fucking hugs i have ever had and i had some pretty awesome hugs at BRC. it was a real privelige meeting you and your campmates. A real oasis of serenity in a world of inspired lunacy.

shit now i feel homesick again.
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby Trishntek » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:47 pm

JK, I didn't have ice cream either, my friend,,, but like my arrival, I was fashionably late for the serving of the vessel full of creamy goodness.
Trishntek

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Trishntek wrote:I didn't either, my friend,,, but like my arrival, I was fashionably late for the serving of the vessel full of creamy goodness.

Hmmm...well, somehow your Chambord arrived before you. I enjoyed it with the ice cream...now that was a treat. :)
JK
jkisha

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Right there with you on the gaffer tape, Jkisha. Stuff is great in the default world, but no good at all on the playa.

Foxfur, I'll see your jungle boot observation and share with you my playa footwear revelation. Doc Marten's Rigger Boots (also called Engineers boots). The model is 2295 Wellington, and probably have to be ordered online (I was able to check the size at the local AirWear store in SF, but they didn't stock them). Fantastic steel toe boot, extremely comfy, and pull-on/slip-off. I brought another pair of shoes, but these ended up being the go-to, most comfortable playa footwear I've ever had. For bonus points I picked up some of the 'wonder balsam' stuff too, once I de-playafied the boots (wet washcloth with white vinegar), I used the balsam (a blend of waxes), and they're back to their normal pre-playa state.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:06 pm

30 scarves is just enough for volunteers
make more shorts with lace
spray on suntan lotion is the bomb
2 bathing events is enough - one mid week and one at the end before leaving
THE BLUE BLINKY LIGHTS ROCK - these have been out at the open playa banks for about 6 or so years. Blue of DPW tells me they're considering funding for all banks to be blinkied.
Brushing teeth and spitting in the porta-potties is not only ok, it's the only way to go imo
paper lunch bags are excellent not only for baby-wipes but they house girl stuff well too
I have a crush on ygmir, but I think he knows that
graidawg - if you want ice cream, just come to Poop-Patrol. Kommissary has a salad bar too.
make more 1/2 aprons for the volunteers - 3 is a good start
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby graidawg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:12 pm

is there some kind of secret about ice cream on the playa. It seems everybody else had some! right next years theme is bring ice cream for English people in top hats!
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby Trishntek » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:38 pm

jkisha wrote:
Trishntek wrote:I didn't either, my friend,,, but like my arrival, I was fashionably late for the serving of the vessel full of creamy goodness.

Hmmm...well, somehow your Chambord arrived before you. I enjoyed it with the ice cream...now that was a treat. :)

You showed me where to put the Chambord and said, "I'll get the ice cream." Meanwhile, about THREE DOZEN PEOPLE distracted me from further gastronomical pursuits.
Trishntek

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Sparkle ponies will get you in the end...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:23 pm

I saw no icecream, either..........dang. or chambord, for that matter.........dang again......but, the MnG was total fun.
I learned, well, reinforced the thought, you're all the best
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Physical stuff I learned:

~Less Drugs is More! WoW I had a great fucking year being more healthy and doing things more sparingly. No alc during the day either. And hardly any weed....At home I am a medical patient but when I get out to the playa my need for the weed is gone. The cops breathing down our necks makes it even harder, but I almost dont mind because I dont even feel like puffing out there. This year I spent Fri/Sat/Sun fairly sober (a little wine) and it was amazing, having a fairly sober playa buddy helped with that though I am not going to lie.

~I need REAL PLAYA BOOTS. I have these awesome lace up combat boots but I found that unless i was going on a big adventure, there were many moments during the day where I would want to take my shoes off. Whether it was the Rhythm Wave dance floor or to step into someones den or what not, next year I am getting slip on Ugg style boots that fit tight. I like having the shin protection too as the playa stings my skin if I dont shower every day.

~Yoga Mat in the tent upon entrance KICKS ASS> you must have one of these if you tent it! That way you can kneel bonzai style into your tent to grab something without scuffing your knees on hard playa or whatever. A nice thick yoga mat or padding with a cotton cover makes knees not scuff.

~Less food, more smoothie like beverages! After 6 years out there I knew what not to pack.....I only packed a 3 bean salad with lots of vinegar (mmmm vinegar on the playa) and a homemade pizza plus snacks. I made it thru the pizza BARELY and tossed half of my salad. (Full salad toss story is banned to protect the innocent ;) ) What I did thrive on were shakes and kombucha, Amazake rice almond shakes, Odwallas, Naked Protien smoothies, that kind of shit. And turkey jerky if Im really feeling emptyness....but its so strange that I don't out there!! SO WEIRD. Of course when I get to Reno I am craving hot food but Im not a big Festival Food person so personally I like to get by on nuts seeds and smoothies.

Mental stuff:
~ FInd a balance between planning and going with the flow. For me, if I go with the flow too much I lose sight, if I plan too much I get wrapped up in that bullshit. A healthy balance of both, like a loose plan, works best for me.

~Let go! I still hold tension on my first couple days out there. I get so ANTZY that I want to do it all and we have SUCH LITTLE TIME to do it!!! Just gotta keep in mind that My Burn is My Burn and it will work out just the way it should. Find a focus, but let the borders blur.

~ Backstreet fever! Felt great to camp in the suburbs again an I am a real music freek so it would be easy for me to get stuck at sound camps, but not when I KNOW there are so many wonderful little things going on, too. Luckily I got elbowed out of Beats Antique thurs night so I never returned to the sound camps. I missed Rab who is my fav but the burn barrel at camp was so fucking cozy :D
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks