One thing you learned on playa this year

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Sail Man » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Mr.Coffee wrote: Anybody know how well those pewter steins hold up? I'd hate to MOOP one of those because the handle wasn't strong enough to stay clipped to my backpack.


I have one and it holds up just fine, binered to my belt. I think it still smells of Killians :lol: Nice Irish joint around the corner lad's
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.
_______________________________________

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
User avatar
Sail Man
 
Posts: 4500
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am
Location: 20 Minutes into the Future
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Snow wrote:
Dustdevil wrote:I learn lots of thing every year, but one item really stood out this year. I learned that ExpressoDude is one hard working, never say quit, don't stop until the job is done type of a guy. He worked with the Black Rock FX team on the Trojan Horse. He brought his SO and the two of them contributed a great deal to that project. We were faced with several adversities and the team managed to work through them all. He never once complained or slowed down. OK, maybe around dinner time he slowed down a little, we all did. We had a small team as most of the BRFX crew were at the Flaming Lotus Girls show. He worked well with the pyro team as well as the demolition/burn team. His ideas and creativity helped make the burn what it was. Black Rock FX would welcome ExpressoDude back on any show we produce.

Jack
Same goes for Jack and the rest of the Black Rock FX team. You made our horse burn better than we ever imagined!!!!! It was great to work with you again and look forward to the next time, whatever that may be mwahahaha :twisted:

I totally agree, Jack, Dave and Chris and crew completely kicked ass.
User avatar
chiefdanfox
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:14 am
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Tiahaar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Dustdevil wrote:I learn lots of thing every year, but one item really stood out this year. I learned that ExpressoDude is one hard working, never say quit, don't stop until the job is done type of a guy. He worked with the Black Rock FX team on the Trojan Horse. He brought his SO and the two of them contributed a great deal to that project. We were faced with several adversities and the team managed to work through them all. He never once complained or slowed down. OK, maybe around dinner time he slowed down a little, we all did. We had a small team as most of the BRFX crew were at the Flaming Lotus Girls show. He worked well with the pyro team as well as the demolition/burn team. His ideas and creativity helped make the burn what it was. Black Rock FX would welcome ExpressoDude back on any show we produce.

Jack

Thank you Dustdevil Black Rock FX and your team (go ExpressoDude!) for the wildly successful Trojan Horse Burn!
As part of the perimeter guard on the Horse from the time of its pullout till its demise I learned what a challenging, patience-trying, and rewarding job Safety Perimeter is. Most folks were cool with staying back, a few dim bulbs were miffed, diplomacy had to be used on a couple 'but-we-wanna-get-closer-just-for-a-pic' types...and what is it with the ones riding full-speed on a bike right through the crowd into the burn perimeter???!! idiots. But for the great folks who helped and stood in awe at the spectacle, thanks :D
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
User avatar
Tiahaar
 
Posts: 1042
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Goleta, CA (also Forever via Pandora)
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby The CO » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:57 am

I learned off-playa that the more you mod the electric trike you drive for work, the more it feels like BRC while you are driving it.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
User avatar
The CO
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:59 am

Sail Man wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Take LESS drugs


No, seriously. It's a new found high in and of itself.




Don't take drugs Junglesmacks gives you because he wants to try it sober this year!!




Now now, no need to get THAT dramatic!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby skibear » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 pm

jkisha wrote:I brought a big 5 quart tub of ice cream to the M&G. Please don't tell me you didn't get any. :(


It was GREAT . The ice cream at M&G made my day.
You Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally made it to M&G this year!
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:21 am
Location: Silver spring Md

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Rabbette » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:35 am

Bring gloves to wear ALL the time. Possibly a satin pair for day and a knit pair for night. (I read about satin gloves 2 days before we were going to leave, so not enough time to get them) However, upon mentioning how I wanted a pair of gloves to my sweetheart while we were at the burn, he says wait here and returns with a pair of lightweight cotton knit gloves. I happily put them on, at this point I didn't care if they were knit, even in the middle of the blazing ass sun they were GREAT! They kept my hands from drying out too much, which apparently is quite a problem for me, no matter how much pampering I do to my hands to take care of them.

Pack a THERMOMETER! When I realized my husband had a fever, I knew it was probably a pretty high temp, b/c he thought he was freezing and he was getting upset at me for getting worried. If I had a thermometer I could have at least proved to him he had a high temp instead of trying to convincing him that I needed to set a bag of ICE on his head to make him better and break his fever.
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
User avatar
Rabbette
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:46 am

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby thelionking » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:46 am

I like Chef Boyardee canned raviolis!
User avatar
thelionking
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:14 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:22 am

thelionking wrote:I like Chef Boyardee canned raviolis!


I like the mini canned raviolis, as I like their ratio of filling to wrap. They also need to have some Kikkoman soy sauce and some garlic powder in them to make them flavored good.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Foxfur » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:47 am

I like Helga's food (Espressodude's wifey)! She insisted that good nutrition from complete meals would keep you going strong. I was still yelling YAY as I crossed the Nevada / Oregon line :).
The US Army could feed any two soldiers on one of her servings...
Steak fajitas with Porterhouse steak, 3/4lb servings of enchilada lasagna, bacon-eggs-taters-toast to kill a small elephant.

I brought home so much food...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Image
User avatar
Foxfur
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 am
Location: Banks, Oregon
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 am

As I have learned over the years, the playa can be a lousy place for a diet.
User avatar
Dr. Pyro
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Location: Newcastle, CA
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Foxfur » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Lowz wrote:I'm done with chasing unicorns

Don't give up :wink:
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Image
User avatar
Foxfur
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 am
Location: Banks, Oregon
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Dustdevil » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:56 am

Foxfur wrote:I like Helga's food (Espressodude's wifey)! She insisted that good nutrition from complete meals would keep you going strong. I was still yelling YAY as I crossed the Nevada / Oregon line :).
The US Army could feed any two soldiers on one of her servings...
Steak fajitas with Porterhouse steak, 3/4lb servings of enchilada lasagna, bacon-eggs-taters-toast to kill a small elephant.

I brought home so much food...


Well that explains a lot. Helga worked with the Black Rock FX Pyro & Arson crew on the Trojan Horse all day long. She never slowed down until it was time to press the button.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:10 pm
Location: West Oakland
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby skibear » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 am

Rabbette wrote:Bring gloves to wear ALL the time. Possibly a satin pair for day and a knit pair for night. (I read about satin gloves 2 days before we were going to leave, so not enough time to get them) They kept my hands from drying out too much, which apparently is quite a problem for me, no matter how much pampering I do to my hands to take care of them.



Don't know about all the time, but I wore cheap disposable plastic gloves during setup and teardown.

That's when you are handling rebar and other playa dust encrusted stuff that dries up your hands.
Did lots of vinegar & water hand/foot cleaning -followed with body lotion applications.
Hands & feet stayed in great shape post-playa
hth
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:21 am
Location: Silver spring Md

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Rabbette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:11 pm

skibear wrote:
Rabbette wrote:Bring gloves to wear ALL the time. Possibly a satin pair for day and a knit pair for night. (I read about satin gloves 2 days before we were going to leave, so not enough time to get them) They kept my hands from drying out too much, which apparently is quite a problem for me, no matter how much pampering I do to my hands to take care of them.



Don't know about all the time, but I wore cheap disposable plastic gloves during setup and teardown.

That's when you are handling rebar and other playa dust encrusted stuff that dries up your hands.
Did lots of vinegar & water hand/foot cleaning -followed with body lotion applications.
Hands & feet stayed in great shape post-playa
hth


I had work gloves on for setup and teardown no doubt. (i was about to wear those all the time there if my sweetheart didn't show up with the knit gloves for me.)

It could just be my hands are overly sensitive to the playa dust. I'm not sure I can even put into words how dry my hands were dry all the time. I could have just washed them and about 5 minutes later the would be overly dry. My feet were fine I kept the feet in socks and shoes did the lemon juice baths (really dislike the smell of vinegar)

Wearing light gloves in the day wasn't hard at all there. My hands never got hot in the gloves there like they would in the default world.
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
User avatar
Rabbette
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:46 am

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:10 am

As an aside if you do end up with dry, cracking fingers and cuticles (I usually get a couple of hot spots on my fingertips) stuff like Liquid Bandage, New Skin and things of that ilk work wonderfully. It stings momentarily but a little bit will do you for several days. I wouldn't leave home without it.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:13 pm

*bump* for all the Birgins!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7108
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Fidget » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:12 pm

I learned that crazy glue works wonders on minor flesh wounds!
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
User avatar
Fidget
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:33 pm
Burning Since: 2013

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:50 pm

playa and spit: not a good lube
Playa and bacon grease: deliciously edible, still not a good lube
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby VultureChow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Siestas are WONDERFUL!

ygmir wrote:playa and spit: not a good lube
Playa and bacon grease: deliciously edible, still not a good lube


I am so turned on right now.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:37 pm

VultureChow wrote:Siestas are WONDERFUL!

ygmir wrote:playa and spit: not a good lube
Playa and bacon grease: deliciously edible, still not a good lube


I am so turned on right now.



GET A TENT.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby FossaFerox » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:58 pm

Fidget wrote:I learned that crazy glue works wonders on minor flesh wounds!


Typically the only major difference between store bought cyanoacrylate glues (krazy, super, etc) and surgical grade liquid stitches is the solvent used. The store bought stuff tends to use methyl alcohol as opposed to ethyl alcohol. That's the stuff that can cause health problems like blindness in extreme cases. Fortunately, the way you treat methyl alcohol poisoning is pretty straightforward, you administer ethyl alcohol.

In layman's terms, if you have to krazy glue shut a major wound you'd better drink up. Also, you know, irrigate the shit out of it first with saline to reduce the odds of infection and what have you, but I'm not a doctor, so do what you will.

I actually got a nasty cut to the webbing between my thumb and index finger stitched at an urgent care place a few years back, but we went to a shitty place in south central LA (long, hilarious story) and the hack doctor washed the wound with iodine then stitched it way too tight so it didn't heal at all. When I removed the stitches 12 days later the wound was exactly the same size with no improvement at all.

Krazy glue to the rescue.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
User avatar
FossaFerox
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:33 pm

FossaFerox wrote:
Fidget wrote:I learned that crazy glue works wonders on minor flesh wounds!


Typically the only major difference between store bought cyanoacrylate glues (krazy, super, etc) and surgical grade liquid stitches is the solvent used. The store bought stuff tends to use methyl alcohol as opposed to ethyl alcohol. That's the stuff that can cause health problems like blindness in extreme cases. Fortunately, the way you treat methyl alcohol poisoning is pretty straightforward, you administer ethyl alcohol.

In layman's terms, if you have to krazy glue shut a major wound you'd better drink up.


Ummmm...no.

Fossa: There is no solvent used in superglue (cyanoacrylate). It doesn't need a solvent because it works by water-catalyzed polymerization. Pull any MSDS sheet and you will see no ethanol/methanol listed. The reason for this is ETOH and MEOH are both very hygroscopic (absorb water from the air). This behavior is exactly what you do not want in a product that is already aggressively hygroscopic and only requires a few dozen milligrams/liter to polymerize. You don't want the customer to open the cap for a minute and then have the entire tube go hard a day later. This is what ETOH/MEOH would give you in spades. Further, it's darned near impossible to get moisture-free alcohol, so just adding the stuff to the glue would cause it to fire before it ever got bottled. So not only doesn't super glue contain either alcohol, it can not contain it.

The only "solvent" in superglue is actually a stabilizer (hydroquinone) and it's just a tiny fraction of the total volume. It's a weak scavenger designed to keep the glue from firing in the tube.

Next point: the dermal toxicity of methanol (17,000 mg/kg) is about twice that of isopropyl (31,000 mg/kg). Why is this comparison important? Because you can buy isopropyl by the gallon at any pharmacy... for direct application to human skin. It's called "rubbing alcohol" for this reason, and every diabetic in the world spends a few minutes each day basically soaking in it. Toxicity via the dermal route for either ETOH or MEOH is almost unheard-of.

Finally, the only difference between WalMart "crazy glue" and the stuff used by surgeons (other than a long review process and a ton of FDA paperwork), is the consumer superglues use either a methylacrylate or an ethylacrylate base, while most FDA-approved glues use an octylacrylate (or in some places a butylacrylate) to prevent possible irritation. (Note that in other countries, including much of the EU, ALL THREE are approved for human and veterinary use. Only butylacrylate isn't approved anywhere anymore to my knowledge, and this was strictly an irritation problem and not a toxicity problem).

So, by all means booze it up if you want to (and this may be good advice as a pain-relief.. hehehehe...) but since there isn't any alcohol of any kind in superglue, (and assuming there could be, with the dermal LD-50 of MEOH sitting at a whopping 17,000 mg/kg), there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of getting enough on you to allow methanol toxicity to occur. :mrgreen:
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
User avatar
GreyCoyote
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 am
Burning Since: 2000

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby kittyrodriguez » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:39 pm

@GreyCoyote: You are so knowledgeable on so many complicated subjects, I'm beginning to develop a complex regarding my inadequacies. :D
User avatar
kittyrodriguez
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:09 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:45 pm

kittyrodriguez wrote:@GreyCoyote: You are so knowledgeable on so many complicated subjects, I'm beginning to develop a complex regarding my inadequacies. :D


Ignore me, Kitty. I'm just a pudgy, over-the-hill smart-ass who spent WAY too much time playing trivial pursuit. :)

I will however point-out that Fossa is young, cute, smart and single. (Yes, I'm playing Yenta. heheheh). :mrgreen:
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
User avatar
GreyCoyote
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 am
Burning Since: 2000

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby kittyrodriguez » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:58 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
kittyrodriguez wrote:@GreyCoyote: You are so knowledgeable on so many complicated subjects, I'm beginning to develop a complex regarding my inadequacies. :D


Ignore me, Kitty. I'm just a pudgy, over-the-hill smart-ass who spent WAY too much time playing trivial pursuit. :)

I will however point-out that Fossa is young, cute, smart and single. (Yes, I'm playing Yenta. heheheh). :mrgreen:


HAHA!!!!!!! I am very happily married, 13 years this August. I wasn't flirting, I was being serious. But, thanks for making me smile. And no hard feelings, Fossa, on my rejection. :lol:
User avatar
kittyrodriguez
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:09 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:07 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:(Yes, I'm playing Yenta. heheheh).

Have anyone in mind for me? :colonel mustard:
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37422
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby FossaFerox » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:25 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Ummmm...no.

Fossa: There is no solvent used in superglue (cyanoacrylate). It doesn't need a solvent because it works by water-catalyzed polymerization. Pull any MSDS sheet and you will see no ethanol/methanol listed. The reason for this is ETOH and MEOH are both very hygroscopic (absorb water from the air). This behavior is exactly what you do not want in a product that is already aggressively hygroscopic and only requires a few dozen milligrams/liter to polymerize. You don't want the customer to open the cap for a minute and then have the entire tube go hard a day later. This is what ETOH/MEOH would give you in spades. Further, it's darned near impossible to get moisture-free alcohol, so just adding the stuff to the glue would cause it to fire before it ever got bottled. So not only doesn't super glue contain either alcohol, it can not contain it.

The only "solvent" in superglue is actually a stabilizer (hydroquinone) and it's just a tiny fraction of the total volume. It's a weak scavenger designed to keep the glue from firing in the tube.

Next point: the dermal toxicity of methanol (17,000 mg/kg) is about twice that of isopropyl (31,000 mg/kg). Why is this comparison important? Because you can buy isopropyl by the gallon at any pharmacy... for direct application to human skin. It's called "rubbing alcohol" for this reason, and every diabetic in the world spends a few minutes each day basically soaking in it. Toxicity via the dermal route for either ETOH or MEOH is almost unheard-of.

Finally, the only difference between WalMart "crazy glue" and the stuff used by surgeons (other than a long review process and a ton of FDA paperwork), is the consumer superglues use either a methylacrylate or an ethylacrylate base, while most FDA-approved glues use an octylacrylate (or in some places a butylacrylate) to prevent possible irritation. (Note that in other countries, including much of the EU, ALL THREE are approved for human and veterinary use. Only butylacrylate isn't approved anywhere anymore to my knowledge, and this was strictly an irritation problem and not a toxicity problem).

So, by all means booze it up if you want to (and this may be good advice as a pain-relief.. hehehehe...) but since there isn't any alcohol of any kind in superglue, (and assuming there could be, with the dermal LD-50 of MEOH sitting at a whopping 17,000 mg/kg), there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of getting enough on you to allow methanol toxicity to occur. :mrgreen:


Ummm....yes? Well, partially yes? Or maybe? Let's go with maybe. This is all concerning the solvent thing, specifically. You've got me on the rest of the tiny text as far as I can tell.

Wikipedia entry on Ethyl cyanoacrylate wrote:Ethyl cyanoacrylate is used for gluing of various materials. It finds applications also in medicine, for liquid bandages and for suture-less surgery, but it is used less often than the less toxic n-butyl and octyl cyanoacrylates. Off-the-shelf non-medical-grade glues are unsuitable for medical applications, as they may contain solvents (e.g. methyl alcohol)


I'd post their specific source but it's not particularly well cited. Still, a spot check of most of the sites that show up on these Google searches seems to support the presence of solvent? Google: Cyanoacrylate glue methanol or cyanoacrylate glue "methyl alcohol"

Did the internet lie to me en masse?

Either way, if I've got cause to glue my own wounds shut I've probably got plenty of reason to drink that doesn't involve physical pain.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
User avatar
FossaFerox
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Fossa: check out the MSDS sheets. If it's in there, it has to be disclosed. Start here: http://www.supergluemsds.com

There is one thing I have to retract: since the last time I looked (a decade ago?), the FDA has now cleared a BUNCH of butylacrylate compounds for surgical use. It didn't use to be that way, but now they actually dominate the surgical market.

So I learned here something too! :mrgreen:
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
User avatar
GreyCoyote
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 am
Burning Since: 2000

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby FossaFerox » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Damn, so the internet lied to me. It's amazing how much misinformation there is out there. Thanks GC!

Incidentally, I find it hilarious that they provide an oral LD50 value, and that it's as high as it is.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
User avatar
FossaFerox
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests