Cleaning duffel bags, backpacks etc

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Cleaning duffel bags, backpacks etc

Postby mazatta » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:45 am

Is there really any solution for getting the grimey feeling out of your favourite bag? Thankfully I used totes for most of my gear, but the pack that went with me everywhere is kinda gross now, as expected. If I could clean it, that'd be awesome, as I absolutely love the design of it. Otherwise, I will order another for default world use and toss the playa'd one into the designated BM tote and use it as-is next time I'm on the playa.
mazatta

Re: Cleaning duffel bags, backpacks etc

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:52 am

Include some white vinegar in whatever you wash it in, that should help. Check the post playa tips and tricks page for more info on cleaning and protecting your gear.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:11 am

A cup of white vinigar in the wash load made everything come out just like new, and I wear white all week on the playa! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mazatta » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:17 am

I already started washing laundry with that method, but I guess I never considered tossing my bag in the wash, thanks!
mazatta

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:18 am

May have to soak it a little, too. I leave my backpack in there for at least a few hours..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Don't forget to air-dry. A lot of backpacks don't want to go in the dryer. Their little pleading voices are so sad.
Savannah

Postby boulderburner » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:42 pm

All of my stuff that goes to BM usually just becomes designated 'playa-only.' I'm just too lazy to take the time to wash things properly. Good thing I have a big basement.....
boulderburner

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:11 pm

Savannah wrote:Don't forget to air-dry. A lot of backpacks don't want to go in the dryer. Their little pleading voices are so sad.

Oh, boo-hoo! Those whiny bags need to grow up and become men! This is amerika, damnit!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:24 pm

:lol:
Savannah

Postby creativecstasy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:41 am

I took two backpacks with me. One is a standard Jansport bag with fabric body and leather bottom. I've been using it for well over a decade. It goes in the washing machine and then hang dries a couple times a year. The bag is normally black, it came home from the playa white (no joke!) and is now back to its original glory. I washed it with all my other playa clothes, with regular detergent, vinegar, and oxyclean.

The second bag is a cheap all plastic of some kind bag. I attacked it with the garden hose and hang dried. It came out ok, but not quite as clean as the Jansport bag. I'll probably do a quick round in a sink/tub with water and vinegar.
creativecstasy

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:41 am

Nylon type stuff seems to come out fine if you just soak it in the sink, at least that's what I've been doing. Actually, I haven't cleaned my camelbak yet. oops. :)
Orphan Endorphin Camp - 7:00 and A for 2015
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:51 am

RTFL. Fabric products usually have labels w/ cleaning instructions.

From the Jansport site:

We recommend you clean your pack with a damp cloth as necessary. Do not machine wash or use detergent or bleach. Line dry. Washing leather is not recommended.

From the North Face site:

How do I clean and store my tent by The North Face?

Proper cleaning and storage of your tent will help prolong its life. Before storing your tent, set it up and inspect it. Look for any damage, pulled seams, broken zippers, holes or mildew. The North Face tent warranty covers pulled seams and broken zippers. Other types of repairs, such as patching holes or tears can be done for a reasonable charge.

Once you have inspected your tent, clean all dust and dirt marks with a sponge, mild soap, and tepid water. Rinse with a clean wet sponge. Allow the tent to dry thoroughly before dismantling it. Do not soak your tent, and never machine-wash it. Store the tent loosely, in a large cotton sack or in a cardboard box, in a cool, dry place.

Be sure to wipe down your poles with a sponge or towel. Salt can corrode them, and dirt on poles stored with your tent can contribute to mildew growth. Be sure the shock cord in your poles is dry before storing.

My tent has a musty, mildew odor. What can I do?

A musty odor and/or small cross-shaped spots on the tent fabric indicate mildew formation. Mildew requires a dark, warm, moist environment (with dirt as a nutrient) to grow and reproduce. The fungus actually penetrates the urethane coating of the tent fabric, and grows in between the tent fabric and the coating, eventually destroying the fabric. The damage is irreversible, but immediate action can retard further mildew growth and damage.

Should mildew begin to form, set up the tent and clean it with a sponge and warm soapy water, then rinse with a clean sponge. Next, sponge-wipe the tent with a solution of 1/2 cup Lysol and 1 gallon of hot water. Leave the solution on the fabric and allow it to dry. Then, mix 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of concentrated lemon juice with 1 gallon of hot water. Rub the solution into the visible mildew and once again, allow it to dry.

This procedure will stop mildew growth and eliminate the odor, but it will not remove the stain. Any damage caused by mildew is not covered under warranty. These measures are offered to help you prolong the life of your tent once mildew has set in.

From the Kelty site:

Backpack Care & Cleaning

* Brush off loose dirt with a dry brush.
* As needed, wipe out the inside with a damp sponge and mild soap.
* Rinse only, if possible. Use cold water and a sponge or rinse in a tub without soap.
* Machine wash in front-loading unit (DO NOT use machine with agitator, as agitator could cause damage not covered under warranty) with cold water and mild soap (Ivory Flakes, Woolite, Sport Wash, etc.) DO NOT use detergents.
* DO NOT soak in soapy water, as it may cause delamination.
* Rinse thoroughly to eliminate soap residue.
* Place pack on frame to air dry—air dry only.
* Always store in a cool, dry area.

Zipper Care

* Keep loose threads trimmed.
* Keep free from dirt.
* Spray periodically with a non-greasy, non-staining silicone spray designed for fabrics.
* To prevent salt water corrosion on zipper pulls, make sure you rinse with clear water after exposure.

Etc. I use food-grade silicone spray.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:06 am

The more porous the fabric, the easier of a time I have. Where the dust really seems to stick is certain plastics/nylon webbing/rubber-ish type parts. My bag looks good as new after the traditional wash except for a few random places. Clothes.. easy. Shoes.. not that big of a deal. All of it.. almost a non-issue. :D
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks