Tip- Keys and IDs

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Tip- Keys and IDs

Postby hookahdude » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:42 pm

I am always amazed when I see the dozens of posts every year that lament of lost keys or IDs on the playa. I may be the most absent minded person I know and often make to work on time by the skin of my teeth because I am looking for my keys.. That being said - for close to 10 DPW weekends, 4th of Juplaya, being on Playa a week before and the entire week of a burn, I never misplaced either my keys or my ID/Drivers license. What are my mystical secrets for not losing this shit?
1) Passport Holder for ID - These are nifty plastic ID holders attached to a lanyard that go around your neck. Advice - keep your head on your neck - you won't lose your ID. Lose your head - u won't give a fuck either way. This is good for when you leave camp.
2) Backpack, Ashtray, Rear View Mirror - The point is - make one spot your ID spot and put your ID there every time u take it off your neck. When I was there, I kept my passport holder around my rear view mirror.

The synergy of 1 and 2 is that if you are too drunk or "altered" to a)get back to your camp or b)to remember to put it in its "special place" - guess what!?! YESS campers that's right!! It is around your neck!

3) Keys - why the fuck are you carrying your keys around the playa? Seriously - put them in your glove box or a pouch in your pack and forget about them. If you absolutely HAVE to carry your car key with you because u HAVE to lock your doors - either put them on your ID holder or get a snaplink for them and attatch them to you. Personally, I left them in my ashtray for a week.

4) Camera, trail mix, water, assorted crap - I had a map case I put everything into and just kept it there and replaced or refilled as needed.

Honestly, about a month before I started going out to the playa I started using the neck holder and the key snap so it kind of became a habit.

i might be totally full of shit, bit these worked for me. :P
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Re: Tip- Keys and IDs

Postby essjay » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:46 pm

+1 on passport holder/travel wallet. Works for me, too. Keys, ID & other essentials always around the neck.
essjay

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Every year there's this "what do I do with the purse" thing that goes on. I empty it of trivial stuff, but prefer to keep basic id and credit/debit cards, and money. Useful stuff to and fro, if not at the event. Then it's where do I stash everything? Maybe I'll leave the purse and just take the billfold and cards. Always something else to fuss about...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby The CO » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Yeah, I don't get the lost key thing either. Put them on top of your favorite tire and forget about them til it's time to leave.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:07 pm

We drove in with a truck, so we just kept the valuables locked up in the cab for the duration of the trip. I had brought one of those around-the-neck ID badge holders, but never needed to use it. If you're in an RV, maybe just bring a lockbox, put your goodies in it, and lock it up inside the RV. If you look young and need to carry your ID around, get an ID holder attached to a chain or something very secure and just keep it in your pocket. Carabiners (good, real ones; not cheapo job-fair ones) are helpful too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby mazatta » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 am

I used a photocopied ID all week and only had one place where I met any sort of resistance. I was going to laminate it, but I just made two copies and kept them in my pack. My keys stayed in my friend's locked car the whole time and the keys to that car stayed in the tent trailer.

If only I used a lanyard to keep my bike around my neck...
mazatta

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks