Flame Cannons

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Flame Cannons

Postby bobby2sox » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:53 am

HI there!

This next year (2012) will be my 6th year, and I am planning on building some flame cannons.

In the past I have built some smaller cannons that shoot 5-8' flames, but they never quite act how I want them to.

I have used old solenoid valves that I had laying around that always leaked a little and I never got the pressure I wanted to get those GIANT blasts that you see out there on the playa.

So here are my questions:

What solenoid valve should I use (hook me up with a McMasterCarr link or something)?
What size pipes should I use?
What volume accumulator should I use?
What pressure should I build the accumulator up to before releasing the propane?
And are there any other good tips or tricks you have for me?

Thank you so much for your help!

Also, I have been searching through ePlaya for quite a while now looking for my answers, if this topic is fully covered somewhere else, please forgive me and perhaps post a link to the thread?
bobby2sox

Re: Flame Cannons

Postby essjay » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:17 pm

bobby2sox wrote:HI there!

This next year (2012) will be my 6th year, and I am planning on building some flame cannons.

In the past I have built some smaller cannons that shoot 5-8' flames, but they never quite act how I want them to.

I have used old solenoid valves that I had laying around that always leaked a little and I never got the pressure I wanted to get those GIANT blasts that you see out there on the playa.

So here are my questions:

What solenoid valve should I use (hook me up with a McMasterCarr link or something)?
What size pipes should I use?
What volume accumulator should I use?
What pressure should I build the accumulator up to before releasing the propane?
And are there any other good tips or tricks you have for me?

Thank you so much for your help!

Also, I have been searching through ePlaya for quite a while now looking for my answers, if this topic is fully covered somewhere else, please forgive me and perhaps post a link to the thread?

eplaya search function sucks. Go to google and search "eplaya flame cannon" and you will find the threads you are looking for.
essjay

Postby Snow » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:00 am

DON'T USE OLD LEAKY VALVES!!!!! :shock:
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby bobby2sox » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 am

Can you suggest a good valve to use? One of my old valves doesn't leak... But I really want to purchase new valves, but I'm curious what other people use. Can you post a link to an online store and a specific valve? Mcmaster Carr or grainger?

Thanks
bobby2sox

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 am

There is a lot more to 'flame cannons' than just the valve.

Davex and Propaniac teach several classes a year about doing this safely. The questions you are asking suggest you should inquire and take one of these classes before attempting this project

Davex is with BMORG, Propaniac is on Facebook and http://www.propaniac.com/Site/Home.html
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks