Leaving directly after Temple Burn Sunday night.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Leaving directly after Temple Burn Sunday night.

Postby Turnip » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:56 pm

The plan is to have all our gear packed up, go enjoy the Temple Burn, then hightail it to our vehicle and sneak out before traffic gets terrible.

Sound like a good plan? Do you have better suggestions for me?
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Re: Leaving directly after Temple Burn Sunday night.

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:17 pm

All depends on when you need to get back. Some leave when you do, some don't. It all depends on your travel needs with regards to timing. Any way you cut it, there will be a line. There are lots that do the exact same as you are proposing.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Turnip » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:20 pm

junglesmacks wrote:All depends on when you need to get back. Some leave when you do, some don't. It all depends on your travel needs with regards to timing. Any way you cut it, there will be a line. There are lots that do the exact same as you are proposing.

Well in 2009 we left directly after the man burned and there was hardly a line. I'm talking less than ten minutes getting out.
Turnip

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:29 pm

I did that three years ago, It added an extra 4 hours to the regular driving time due to traffic to the pavement, and then accidents on 447 that closed the highway for a bit.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Lol if it worked that great and you have experience with it, why are you asking? :lol:

Personally, I take it easy and stay through Monday and help cleanup, get a good night sleep and leave camp by 6am Tue.

Turnip wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:All depends on when you need to get back. Some leave when you do, some don't. It all depends on your travel needs with regards to timing. Any way you cut it, there will be a line. There are lots that do the exact same as you are proposing.

Well in 2009 we left directly after the man burned and there was hardly a line. I'm talking less than ten minutes getting out.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Turnip » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:24 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Lol if it worked that great and you have experience with it, why are you asking? :lol:

Personally, I take it easy and stay through Monday and help cleanup, get a good night sleep and leave camp by 6am Tue.

Turnip wrote:

I'm assuming there is a difference between Saturday and Sunday nights.
Turnip

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Turnip wrote:I'm assuming there is a difference between Saturday and Sunday nights.

After the Temple Burn is going to better than Monday, but there's no way to know exactly how Exodus is going to be; there's some variation every year. If you really want to beat Exodus leave before the Man Burn. No line at all!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:13 pm

We've departed at midnight after the Temple Burn for the last 5 years. Every year it was about a 3 hour traffic jam prior to hitting the blacktop. So mebbe if you go immediately after it burns you'll do better.

Be prepared, tho, in case the Temple Burn is delayed due to weather or technical problems...it's happened. If it's imperative that you leave at a set time, better stick with the plan.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby andromeda23 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Last year we left during the temple burn. it was brutal. at least 2 hours until we hit the pavement. but, we were exhausted from packing up camp all day and I had to pull over 2 times for a little snooze (i was the only driver). not the safest idea, but better than driving and falling asleep. this year we will pack up on sunday, watch the temple burn, get a good night's sleep and then hit the road early monday (after some clean-up of course!). leaving tired is not a good idea and i don't recommend it to anyone. do you have more than 1 driver to split the driving if someone gets tired?
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ Christopher Robin to Pooh
andromeda23

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks