Spinning yarn at BM 2011

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Spinning yarn at BM 2011

Postby vaddynwashere » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:07 pm

I was wondering if anyone's made plans to bring their drop spindle to the playa and spin some yarn over a cup of tea or a glass of infused tequila? I'm fairly new to spinning, so I'd appreciate if a seasoned spinner would give me some tips/advice. But I've also outgrown my first spindle, so I'd be glad to teach someone who's never spun before and pass on my spindle to them.
Hooray, we're less than 10 days away from the playa!!!
Nadia
vaddynwashere

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Twinkii mm)'(ii

Re: Spinning yarn at BM 2011

Postby Quickthorn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:40 am

I have a decent amount of drop spindle experience, though I plan to bring a knitting project for my fiber fix on the playa rather than a spindle & wool. But I'd love to do a little crafting over drinks (alcoholic or non-) and share some spinning tips or just chat! I camp with the Mystikal Misfits at 4:30 & B; we're a large camp with a big ol' sign and we're right on the corner, you can't miss us! Let me know if you'd like to set up a specific day/time to meet up, whether at my camp or yours!

Are you on Ravelry by any chance? There is a group there for crafty Burners called "Burning Sticks and Hooks." There's a on-playa planned meet-up at This Ain't Halfway Camp (4:20 & J), on Thursday from 1-3 PM. Here's the URL for the event listing: http://playaevents.burningman.com/2011/playa_event/5215/
Quickthorn

Postby vaddynwashere » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:26 pm

No, I'm not on Ravelry yet... I've heard a lot about it and I might join eventually. I do so much random crafting that I doubt I would have enough focus to settle in a community dedicated to something specific :))
But - hooray - I found you!! We have a tiny camp, called "Twinkii PDX" (Twinkii is a magical unicorn that grants wishes, and PDX is short for Portland :), it's not pre-registered, but we'll sign in with the Center camp once we find a good spot. Also, every year we bring a few gallons of pineapple infused tequila to the playa. Feel free to drop by whenever you feel like it, with yarn or without it. For the most part, I will probably be watching over my camp and mercilessly marinating my brain cells in alcohol while mini-braiding hair for people camping nearby :) In my playa experience, it proved impractical to plan anything, it's easier to just play it by ear.
Nadia
vaddynwashere

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Twinkii mm)'(ii

Postby headquarters » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:02 pm

My wife is a spinning machine. She is not good with drop spindle but is pretty fond of her wheel. She's been looking for other fiber enthusiasts so i'll pass this along maybe we'll come say hi! She decked out her bike in some handspun yarn, it's pretty sweet. I'll write down both of your camps.

ALCOHOL + YARN woot.
headquarters

Postby spygeek » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:10 am

I plan to bring my spindle and some fiber, although I'm more likely to be knitting. I hope to make the Ravelry meetup, but if you're wandering by the 3:00 Plaza you might find me at the Bureau of Unclaimed Secrets.
spygeek

Postby dcweas » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:56 pm

I am also hoping/planning on going to the ravelry m&g - I don't spin (although I have a spindle & wheel & intend to learn) but I am bringing some knitting projects for sure :)
I'd rather hit the books.
dcweas

Postby mariamagrn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Hooray!

Apparently I am a "spinning machine". :) According to my hubby.

I love to spin, but have never spun using a drop spindle. Although, I have managed to acquire a couple. I plan to bring a knitting project. I will also throw in a spindle and some fiber if someone is willing to teach me??

I'll look for you lovely fiber nuts out there. I will be camping with a small group and our camp name is The Bus Stop. When we get there we'll post our location at Center Camp. We'll also be having some birthday cocktails at some point in the evening on Tuesday if you would like to stop by.

Maria
mariamagrn

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks