Frequently Asked Questions: Look here first.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

I've been fortunate so far...

Postby honeyfire » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:40 am

serendipity wrote:make sure you bring yourself a system for storage/disposal of bloody products. you can not put tampons, pads, baby wipes, or other garbage in the porta potties.
you will need some kind of portable container (like a handful of ziploc bags) for stashing used stuff (and then taking it home with you).

I've been lucky with this in terms of timing, so i've never had occasion to test this myself, but:
I'm told that crushing up aspirin and sprinkling the powder in with the used whatever-you-use will help keep the smell down.
I heard this for backpacking, where it's suggested that one sprinkle the aspirin powder over the whatever, and then wrap it snugly in aluminum foil for minimum smell.
In the woods, it's all about keeping the bears disinterested, on the playa, it's just make for a nicer-smelling camp...
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!
honeyfire

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:28 am

I find that simply squishing the air out of a zip-lock baggie full of lady trash contains the smell well enough.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

raised fire pit ???

Postby nightingale » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:42 am

Hi!
Just wondering is it okay to have a raised fire pit, such as what it is sold at Lowes or Home depot for garden use???
nightingale

Re: raised fire pit ???

Postby ygmir » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:07 am

nightingale wrote:Hi!
Just wondering is it okay to have a raised fire pit, such as what it is sold at Lowes or Home depot for garden use???

just don't use it in the tent..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

LOL

Postby nightingale » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:20 am

OMG too cool!
LOL
I hope not!! TY!!!
smiles
nightingale

Re: raised fire pit ???

Postby ibdave » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:16 pm

nightingale wrote:Hi!

Open flame in camp for the most part is not allowed (rules change all the time) The problem with it, is that sparks float away and land on tents, and that is where the issue is.. Gas fireplace are better. Tiki lamps are not cuz they fall over.. Blaa Blaaa blaaaaaaaa
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Grazie...on the No raised fire pits!!!

Postby nightingale » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:40 am

I am so glad you replied to my post ...makes very good sense!!
I was already thinking it was waaay too heavy and bulky to waste my valuable space with it anyway!!
thanks ,
Sarah
nightingale

Postby ourania » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:41 pm

What about BBQ's? I was thinking grilling way the way to go for cooking most of our meat in camp. Would this qualify a open flame?
ourania

Postby ibdave » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:30 pm

ourania wrote:What about BBQ's? I was thinking grilling way the way to go for cooking most of our meat in camp. Would this qualify a open flame?

BBQing is ok. Common sense is important. Gas is great but using coals is fine. Keep the bbq away from traffic and tent/shelter is wise..

The small bbq using the 2lbs canisters of propane are great for small camp and the gas will last a few days if you manage it right. I have been known to hand out canister to those that run out mid-bbqing... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby ourania » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks for the info ibdave. I just re-read my last post and realized how ridiculously sleep deprived I actually am. Perhaps, given that the sleep deprivation is likely to continue once I'm in BRC, an open flame may not be the way to go... :lol:
ourania

Postby FLETCHER » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:13 pm

I want to set up a fountain (not to be used for bathing). How can I get water delivered to my site?
I love you just the way you are.
FLETCHER

Postby Barbie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:40 pm

Fletcher, Do you have your own fountain OR will you need to rent that ALso?? Do you know wher you'll be camping??? You figure that out first - then you Just call ahead for water delivery... They can also deliver Hookers and Blow if you need IT!!!

Okay I'm kidding... they won't deliver water!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby FLETCHER » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:00 am

I have the fountain. To whom do I call ahead for water? I've Googled it, but come up with nothing. I'll look into the hookers later, thanks.
FLETCHER

Postby FLETCHER » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:03 am

I have the fountain. To whom do I call ahead for water? I've Googled it, but come up with nothing. I'll look into the hookers later, thanks.
FLETCHER

Postby ourania » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:48 am

As far as I understand it (and I must have read and re-read the BM site a hundred times) there is no water delivery on the playa. You'll have to bring in whatever you need.
ourania

Postby SonOfUgly » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:05 am

what kind of fountain, how well will it work with playa dust/mud?
SonOfUgly

Postby Elderberry » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:58 am

Yup...there is no water delivery on the playa. If you want to drink it or use it for your fountain, you have to bring it in with you.

I did see another thread on here somewhere about a guy renting an 18 wheeler from his boss so he could bring enough water for his hot tub and he was looking for others to go in on the truck with him; you could search for that thread and see if he could add extra water for you.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:46 pm

FWIW--the format of this thread as originally conceived was to ask and answer a question yourself, one that you thought was fairly common. Newbies are supposed to read this thread through or skim it for their interest. It was, I believe, supposed to be a solution to the endless asking of the same few questions over and over.

That was years ago and maybe this htread should be "de-stickied" and left to die.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Alenigma » Mon May 25, 2009 3:18 am

I hope they don't let this thread die. I read through all.....hmm let me check..... it looks like 9 pages?..... of this thread and got some really helpful advice some of which I may have thought of asking on my own. This will be my first time and I am looking forward to being a prepared as I can be so I am not just focused on merely surviving, but can focus on having a blast!

Thanks all for the helpful info so far :)
~*~Live long and Burn well~*~
Alenigma

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat May 30, 2009 5:19 pm

If I am going to get two Coleman extremes (one for freeze and one for fridge) for my small camp, should I get two 50 quarts or two 100 quarts?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=8580
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat May 30, 2009 7:16 pm

I believe Costco has large coolers that beat that price(assuming the listed price is what you are paying) and are more durable than the coleman's. They are the big white ones that you see frequently used by river rafters. I always run out of cooler space so I would go large. Most of my cooler issues revolve around being able to get enough ice in the cooler to have it maintain for at least two days. I'd rather go to Ice Camp every other day than every day.

FYI,
Elevating your cooler off of any solid surface will help it keep ice longer. I use two short pieces of 2x4 for this. Putting a blanket around it will help keep ice longer too.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby AntiM » Sun May 31, 2009 7:41 am

My first year out, I sewed covers for my coolers out of quilted cloth; we still toss a blanket over them during the day. The trick with cooler cozies is getting the rest of the camp to put them back on. Our ice lasts a couple days, longer in the "uber-cooler" which holds the food.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Sun May 31, 2009 11:20 am

Water delivery is possible.
Some large camps have water brought in.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:49 pm

Will Martha be coming this year?
Ugly Dougly

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:40 pm

I hope so...I might need to borrow her fish spatula.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:50 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I hope so...I might need to borrow her fish spatula.

You plan on spanking Crypto?

:D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Igneouss » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Q: I can't wait to get drunk/trashed/etc on all the great alcohol and other things people will share with me at BM. Won't there be lots of other people doing the same?

A: Sure people do but it's a bad idea. Imagine lying in your tent (easy bake oven in the sun), all hung over, and you gotta throw up. No one, you included, will ever want to go back into that tent. Say you make it out of the tent, your friends are gonna love your spew all over the campsight. Who do you think will clean it up? This is not the dorm bathroom.

But lets just say you are only hung over but not tossing cookies. Any idea what it's like to be hung over in the high desert? Altitude heat and dust. Friends that do not want to miss stuff cause you are sick.

Oh, and that cool dude that wants to toke it up with you? He's a cop.

Be responsible for your actions. Plan ahead. Be prepared to take care of yourself. If you lose it be prepared to be the subject of ridicule for the rest of the week.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:10 pm

Then I won't be mooching off of you, that's for sure, party pooper. :evil:
Ugly Dougly

Postby Igneouss » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Puke in your own tent, cro magnon.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:01 am

Anybody heard when the Calendar Of Playa Events for 2009 will be up and running? I know by the beginning of June last year it was already accepting submissions. They seem to be running behind this year. Perhaps Larry ought to rethink the logic of depending upon "volunteers" who may or may not be high, and instead pay some college student (who you know for sure is high) $8.75/hr to input this information.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks