Frequently Asked Questions: Look here first.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:54 pm

Thanks for the info. I am going to reduce my water down to appx 2 gallons a day.
Thanks again, cheers!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby CLARKcon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:10 pm

Bounce530- also calculate water purposes (if apply): cooking, washing dishes, handwash/showers, etc.) There was three of us this year, dusted through 70 gallons of water no problem (then again, we also made a shit ton of coffee, too :D )
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby erri2000 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:28 pm

Last year was my first and I found that two gallons a day was good for ONE person. You want to bring at least two gallons a day. One to drink and one for bathing.

Water is a big commodity. There is always some drunk "Frat Clown" that will need a glass so you can get him sober enough to leave.
It is alot like sex,
Some people just don't get it

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
erri2000

Postby falk » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Hmmm; ePlaya ate my post. I'll try again.

Bitter Dan speaks truth about reading the survival guide. Read it and re-read it until there's nothing in it that makes you think "Oh, I didn't know that".

I couldn't go more than a day or two without a shower; I hate sticking to myself. On a hot day when I'm working hard, I'll take several very short showers. No shame in that. Those camping shower bags only hit you with a light sprinkle; you'd be hard-pressed to use a gallon of water in a shower. You can shower with a quart if you're careful. Save even more water and shower with a friend.

Melted ice is not greywater as long as it's not contaminated; it's ok to dump on the playa. But then, if it's not contaminated, you could drink it so why dump it at all? Keep your cooler clean and seal the food so it doesn't get into the water (and so the water doesn't make your food soggy). Drain your cooler into a drinking bottle or your shower bag.

If you have no experience camping, definately try out your gear before you get to the playa. Then remember that the playa is not like any environment you've ever been in. If your gear came with cheap little 6" stakes, throw them away and get real ones or make them from rebar. Make sure you bring a hammer sufficient to hammer them in.
falk

water......waaaaaaaaaaattaaaaaaaaaaa!!! ahhh

Postby tinkereese13 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:10 am

Lets see. We had three adults and one child. we brought 4 containers at 5 gallons, we also had a case of bottle water too, a piece for three days and had one gallon left over when we left. I would say we made it out alive and well hydrated. You can never have too much water. You can always donate what ever you don't , and use to another camp who needs it. 8)
"Follow the directions and directly you will be directed into the right direction" - Lewis Carroll Alice in Wonderland
tinkereese13

Postby Fried_Eagle_Mind » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:13 am

This thread seems a bit dead but I will ask anyway.
What style of tent best hold ups to the playas wind?
I'm sure the stakes matter more than the frame shape, but still, and suggestions would be nice. Also any suggestions on a portable (fit in suitcase,or obtainable in Reno) shade structure would be GOLDEN!
Fried_Eagle_Mind

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:27 am

Stop at Twin Cities Surplus if you can't figure it out ahead of time.

http://www.twincitysurplus.com/
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Fried_Eagle_Mind » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 am

Thanks a lot, I'll probably be picking up my supplies from there.
Fried_Eagle_Mind

Postby brickmaster » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:17 am

Fried Eagle,

I noticed that you posted earlier in this thread that you are unable to rent a vehicle because you are under 25. This is not so. Almost all the rental companies will rent to people aged 21-25 but they will charge approx 25 dollars/day extra for the privilage. However most companies do restrict what vehicles you can rent. For example avis won't let me rent a minivan but hertz or national will.
brickmaster

Postby Fried_Eagle_Mind » Sun May 25, 2008 12:09 pm

Brickmaster:
Yeah, some negative people were just putting that false idea in my head.
I heard about this service near reno called rent a wreck.
It is supposedly cheaper becuase you arn't getting cars with bells and whistles. Has anyone had any experience with this company?
Fried_Eagle_Mind

Postby AmelieChimere » Sun May 25, 2008 1:11 pm

This will be my first time to Burning Man, and I'm doing my best to get everything in order. I'm super pumped to responsible for my own 'survival', sounds like a blast.

What worries me, however, is that I may be going by myself. I'm a 19 year old female, and while I don't plan on getting into any activities that may lead to dark allies and things of the sort, I would like to know if you think it would be, generally, safe for someone like myself to go stag.
AmelieChimere

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun May 25, 2008 1:47 pm

Burning Man is a very safe place, there are way fewer problems there than in the normal world. You'll be fine, and I guarantee you'll be glad you came.
The only part you need to worry about, safety-wise, is the trip getting there.
I prefer to travel with at least one other vehicle, so you always have help if anything goes wrong. It's a long way into the middle of nowhere!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby MozyBonz » Sun May 25, 2008 1:48 pm

AmelieChimere wrote:This will be my first time to Burning Man, and I'm doing my best to get everything in order. I'm super pumped to responsible for my own 'survival', sounds like a blast.

What worries me, however, is that I may be going by myself. I'm a 19 year old female, and while I don't plan on getting into any activities that may lead to dark allies and things of the sort, I would like to know if you think it would be, generally, safe for someone like myself to go stag.

Yes …but I would suggest joining a camp like stag camp. Just because its good to have some experienced support around your first year out on the playa. But people do it alone all the time so you can to.

People do get dosed out there so be careful. Bring a kids sippy cup to drink out of.

Read read read read. Ask questions and don’t be put off by snarky replies. There is usually some good info in the snark.

Very sexy My space picture by the way.
MozyBonz

Postby mdmf007 » Sun May 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Burning Man is a very safe place, there are way fewer problems there than in the normal world. You'll be fine, and I guarantee you'll be glad you came.
The only part you need to worry about, safety-wise, is the trip getting there.
I prefer to travel with at least one other vehicle, so you always have help if anything goes wrong. It's a long way into the middle of nowhere!

i wouldnt go as far as to "Guarantee" your safety, but Bonz is right - it seems and feels safer than the default world.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby AmelieChimere » Sun May 25, 2008 5:48 pm

That's good to hear. As it turns out, however, I'll probably have to find someone 21 from nearby to go with me. It's a 3 day drive from Indiana, and I'm not old enough to rent a car.

Ah, well, where there's a will...
AmelieChimere

Postby CLARKcon » Sun May 25, 2008 7:25 pm

BINGO :D Find 1-2 other friends with a car to camp with (hopefully non-judgemental, fun, creative folks with a love for life/exploration). The crowd is way cool---just remember your sense of awareness and you'll be o.k. Unless, specifically want to go alone, GreyHound is probably out of the question, 1). Cause' then your just in Reno, and 2.) Can't bring enough supplies unless you can hook up with someone who brought more gear. Hope you can make it out. it really is dreams in motion...
"DRINK IT!"
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Postby AmelieChimere » Sun May 25, 2008 8:36 pm

erk, double post. >.>
AmelieChimere

Postby AmelieChimere » Sun May 25, 2008 8:36 pm

Thankyou so muchly for all the advice. :D

I'm hoping against hope that I'll find some people soon.

I have a great love for conversation, so if anyone feels so inclined, message me and we can exchange some brilliant ideas.
AmelieChimere

Postby mojo » Mon May 26, 2008 11:43 am

There is a fairly large burner community in Southern Indiana. Check the regional contacts page.
mojo

Postby fciron » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:27 pm

mojo wrote:There is a fairly large burner community in Southern Indiana. Check the regional contacts page.
There are also a lot of folks on Tribe.net look for the Southern Ohio Burners tribe and the Kentucky Burners tribe, lotsa overlap there.
fciron

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:31 am

I have a question: For Theme Camps and Villages (not DPW) how and when do we apply for Early Arrival passes?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

bleeding on the playa

Postby serendipity » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:41 pm

No one's asked yet, but seeing as this is a FAQ list, a lot of new folks might read it...

if you are a menstruating female and if there is any chance whatsoever that you might get your period while you are at the burn, make sure you bring yourself a system for storage/disposal of bloody products. you can not put tampons, pads, baby wipes, or other garbage in the porta potties. you will need some kind of portable container (like a handful of ziploc bags) for stashing used stuff (and then taking it home with you). if you're a DIY girl and you wash out your own gear, bring something to keep it in. you're not going to want to dump bloody water in your grey water pond (if you want to keep your campmates as friends), so think ahead! having a ziploc bag of wet wipes, plus a spare bag to collect used ones, makes the bloody trip to the porta potties much nicer. don't forget the hand sanitizer!
serendipity

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 pm

AmelieChimere wrote:That's good to hear. As it turns out, however, I'll probably have to find someone 21 from nearby to go with me. It's a 3 day drive from Indiana, and I'm not old enough to rent a car.

Ah, well, where there's a will...

Steal one? just bring it back full of gas, and cleaner than when you got it. Then your ok Karma wise
mdmf007

Postby CLARKcon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:44 am

Good call mdmf007...and don't forget a new Pine tree air-freshner to hang on the rear view mirror.
"DRINK IT!"
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Postby CLARKcon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:11 pm

TIP/TRICK: Just remembered a trick used last year to know if a porta potty is clean (even in the dark!) before you go in to it...go in after a female. This tip worked without failure once. It just seems so damn nice & sanitized after a lady leaves. I'd wait in line longer just to see if my theory was correct...

and along the potty theme, remember folks:
DON'T STICK F*CKED UP STUFF IN THE TOILET!!
Rule of thumb: Before you drop it in, ask yourself "Would I stick this in my toilet at home? Would I drop baby wipes in if it would clog it? WOULD I STICK A TOY RECLINER IN!?
and you may say to yourself "Well, I don't have to deal with it" or "I was shrooming" or "I felt compelled/inspired to make cave drawings out of my own poo on the wall and fling my defical on the ceiling like a monkey".
True. You probably won't have to deal with it...b u t for the love of truth, s o m e b o d y does have to deal with it. Just don't be a dirty little shit about it :wink:
"DRINK IT!"
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Postby CLARKcon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:36 am

TIP/TRICK: Might have been said before, but in case not, also remember dropping a glowstick in a water jug to help you find it in the middle of the night. NOTE: Try not to swallow the glowstick :D Aslo handy if you have multiple jugs around (i.e- cig butt jug, pee jug, etc.) and don't want the ("gulp--AhHH Motherfu...) confusion
"DRINK IT!"
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:55 am

all good tips..........

mdmf007:
do you think it advisable to steal a 21 year old, and, return them flatulent and clean?......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby CLARKcon » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:48 am

GROSS, BUT EFFECTIVE TIP: Using the instant coffee sticks (the single use aluminum package-just tear and Pixie Stix it) for a quick picker upper. Neighbors from the Army suggested it (the sticks are also in the MRE's). Gross, bitter paste when swallowed, but helped on the walk back from the Sunday night Temple Windstorm. :lol:
"DRINK IT!"
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:22 pm

ygmir wrote:all good tips..........

mdmf007:
do you think it advisable to steal a 21 year old, and, return them flatulent and clean?......

I would have to say yes, but only if you joy ride the 21Y/O only.
mdmf007

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:07 am

mdmf007 wrote:
ygmir wrote:all good tips..........

mdmf007:

I would have to say yes, but only if you joy ride the 21Y/O only.

seems fair........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks