Your art

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Your art

Postby eigenstates » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:58 pm

I think this is a fine time to remind all the attendees that the art you make on the playa is not really your art. It in part belongs to Burning Man and in order to publish or sell it you must obtain written permission and pay a 10% tithe to Burning Man for the privilege.
eigenstates

Re: Your art

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Paste with Lard

1-1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup lard
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cold water

Mix salt with flour. Reserve one and one-fourth tablespoons lard, work in remainder to flour, using tips of fingers or a case knife. Moisten to a dough with water. Toss on a floured board, pat, and roll out. Spread with one tablespoon reserved lard, dredge with flour, roll up like a jelly roll, pat, and roll out; again roll up. Cut from the end of roll a piece large enough to line a pie plate. Pat and roll out, keeping the paste as circular in form as possible. With care and experience there need be no trimmings. Worked-over pastry is never as satisfactory. The remaining one-fourth tablespoon lard is used to dot over upper crust of pie just before sending to oven; this gives the pie a flaky appearance. Ice-water has a similar effect. If milk is brushed over the pie it has a glazed appearance. This quantity of paste will make one pie with two crusts and a few puffs, or two pies with one crust where the rim is built up and fluted.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 pm

*yawn*
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby eigenstates » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:29 pm

The replies are funny because of the denial. Lest newbies be mislead by this outpouring of banality- it is actually true. Please read about it.
eigenstates

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Geepers, I wonder why that level of control of the rights exists? I mean, I could probably do some research and find out why Burning Man makes photographers & artists get permission to publish works (which they grant pretty damn freely unless you're trying to do a car commercial), but why bother when I can make up gross distortions and feel all puffed up and superior.

Again, *yawn*

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 pm

You know, Eric, what does he care? It's not like he can actually do any art. This isn't even Caco 101.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby eigenstates » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:04 pm

So I am curious, does them owning your art actually change because of the opinion in that blog? No it doesn't. As I said this is merely a statement of fact and I encourage the artist to do the work in reading. Sure that blog should be read along with the part of the contract you enter in to when you buy the ticket.

I am a bit unsure(not entirely unsure as the apologists really come out of the woodwork for this) why this is being met with such hostility and ad hominem attack? I didn't see an FAQ or Q&A addressing this salient point.
eigenstates

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 pm

I am not an apologist. I do tend to rally around the event because so many people take pot shots at it, meaningless cheap potshots, that seem more like deliberate misunderstanding than like honest mistakes.
Smug, superior tone to prose such as:
I think this is a fine time to remind all the attendees that the art you make on the playa is not really your art. It in part belongs to Burning Man and in order to publish or sell it you must obtain written permission and pay a 10% tithe to Burning Man for the privilege.
qualifies. Rephrase into a more neutral tone and we can have a discussion. Otherwise, you came loaded with snark and you shouldn't expect any better from us.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Besides, they don't own your art. They own the right to reproducing images taken at Burning Man, even if it's of your art. This is done to protect the copyright & participants.

However, feel free to twist terms as you like.

wonder if he know's this board is owned by the BMorg?...

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Elorrum » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 pm

In the event of ad hominem attack, wave your arms and shout loudly, bang pans together perhaps, as this has the effect of making you seem larger and more powerful, possibly frightening your attackers away.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby eigenstates » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Eric, the reasons do not change the fact that they own rights to your art. This is not a twisted view, but a factual and legal one. Artists beware. Do your homework.
eigenstates

Postby eigenstates » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"]I am not an apologist. I do tend to rally around the event because so many people take pot shots at it, meaningless cheap potshots, that seem more like deliberate misunderstanding than like honest mistakes.
Smug, superior tone to prose such as: [quote]I think this is a fine time to remind all the attendees that the art you make on the playa is not really your art. It in part belongs to Burning Man and in order to publish or sell it you must obtain written permission and pay a 10% tithe to Burning Man for the privilege.[/quote] qualifies. Rephrase into a more neutral tone and we can have a discussion. Otherwise, you came loaded with snark and you shouldn't expect any better from us.[/quote]

Having been involved with the event for as long as I have I am getting almost exactly what I expected. I am still surprised by it nonetheless.
eigenstates

Postby Dr Helix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:14 pm

eigenstates wrote:I think this is a fine time to remind all the attendees that the art you make on the playa is not really your art. It in part belongs to Burning Man and in order to publish or sell it you must obtain written permission and pay a 10% tithe to Burning Man for the privilege.

Oh, ya mean it's just pitures and movie stuff they git? Wooowee well okay then!!!! I got me a 50 foot pengwin that shoots hell fire otta his ayes! Ahm plannin on sellin him to Vegas folk for the beeg bucks!!!! Yippeeee and land o goshen!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Elorrum wrote:In the event of ad hominem attack, wave your arms and shout loudly, bang pans together perhaps, as this has the effect of making you seem larger and more powerful, possibly frightening your attackers away.

oh, that's lovely!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Dr Helix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Elorrum wrote:In the event of ad hominem attack, wave your arms and shout loudly, bang pans together perhaps, as this has the effect of making you seem larger and more powerful, possibly frightening your attackers away.

oh, that's lovely!

Who is this Ed Homonym and why are we preparing for his attack?
Dr Helix

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Dr Helix wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

oh, that's lovely!

Who is this Ed Homonym and why are we preparing for his attack?

Keep this under your hat...*whispers* he was the 7th stooge...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Turnip » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:49 pm

so if I perform naked spoken word art on the playa, I have to pay BM to go on Broadway with it? :o

The humanity!
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby The CO » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Thank you Bob, for that informative post. Someone seems to have hacked in and tried to jack your thread, but the quality of that paste reciepe shines through.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Dr Helix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:21 pm

The CO wrote:Thank you Bob, for that informative post. Someone seems to have hacked in and tried to jack your thread, but the quality of that paste reciepe shines through.

Now that's funny!!!!! I am crying, I'm laughing so hard. Best thing I've read all day. Thanks CO
Dr Helix

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 pm

The CO wrote:Thank you Bob, for that informative post. Someone seems to have hacked in and tried to jack your thread, but the quality of that paste reciepe shines through.

+1

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby eigenstates » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:09 am

[quote="Turnip"]so if I perform naked spoken word art on the playa, I have to pay BM to go on Broadway with it? :o

The humanity![/quote]

In a way, yes. If you use the name Burning Man or any of the performance reproduced from the playa you must seek and get written permission(in the form of a legally binding contract) after a full review of your works and pay a 10% tithe for the privilege- or any amount under they see fit.
eigenstates

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:25 am

You can "say" it all you want, what you can't do is include the name or imagery on your ads or flyers.

And why are you bothering us with this (misunderstood by you) fact.

And where in the hell IS the Lard at the grocery store?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:11 am

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:42 am

Bob wrote:Image

So that's where my dentures went.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks