Have Tools/Talent. Need anythng rigged/repaired/constructed?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Have Tools/Talent. Need anythng rigged/repaired/constructed?

Postby Fabricator » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:44 am

Hi everyone, I'm a first timer this year. I am a professional self employed artist, industrial designer, and custom builder. (Also long time husband and father though I'm coming alone.) I am bringing a ton of tools, fasteners and arsenal of building hardware and supplies. Have a bike trailer to hold a mobile fabricating/tool/repair kit.
I'm also an introvert, Looking forward to camping solo (I think) and taking this awesome experience and cathartic time for myself.
Though I read that gifting is not "formally required", I want to be sure to participate and honor the atmosphere at BM. I will not be a tourist or spectator. Not particularly gifted at socializing and meeting new people (just for the sake of socializing. guess I'm better at "colaborating") I can easily give/participate another way. To get involved and participate this year and am really interested in cruising around on bike and offering help to people setting up camp or meeting anyone's repair or fixing needs on the playa. Whether it's creative help or labor with an art project, or helping to troubleshoot and fixing anyone's transportation vehicle. Much better socially at meeting new people when using my hands.

THE POINT OF THIS TOPIC IS; I think I have enough cordless tool batteries to last the week for anything I get into. Though just in case, is anyone aware of a theme camp or place that I could plug a charger to recharge a cordless drill/driver batteries into? (In the spirit that I am using the battery power to pay forward to others needs) I plan on being there from the beginning. And heat is the enemy of battery life.

Contemplating bringing a "kind-of" quiet generator mounted on the roof of my cargo van, surrounded 4 sides in some sound barriers. But am very self conscious about contributing "ugly" noise and exhaust into the BM environment before I witness first hand this year what is appropriate/etiquette. Plus it means more fuel,$$, and valuable cargo space.
Also for you experienced burners, I look forward to my upcoming autonomy, though I contemplate pushing myself and I hesitantly ask, does anyone know of a group or particular theme camp (with space) that I would seem to fit into?
So... initial question, cordless tool recharging?...or just bring my own generator?
THANKS. Can't wait!
Fabricator

Re: Have Tools/Talent. Need anythng rigged/repaired/construc

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:09 am

Bump.
(Because I'm not going to be very useful.)
You can search the board through google with "eplaya +generator."
I would not be happy offering up other people's generators, however, I suspect you won't have much trouble finding people willing to recharge, because this is the sort of gift that just about everyone approves of. How long does it take to charge these batteries up? Do you think you need more than one charge per battery pack per day? I am with a bar camp, and we use the generator at night. If you found another such, would you be comfortable leaving your charger with them at night?
One thing to watch out for: tool loss. Through forgetfulness (leaving them with someone and they forget what they did with it, or you forget where you/that you, left it.and actual theft. Lock up your tools burn night.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr Helix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:16 am

Fabricator wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a first timer this year. I am a professional self employed artist, industrial designer, and custom builder. (Also long time husband and father though I'm coming alone.) I am bringing a ton of tools, fasteners and arsenal of building hardware and supplies. Have a bike trailer to hold a mobile fabricating/tool/repair kit.
I'm also an introvert, Looking forward to camping solo (I think) and taking this awesome experience and cathartic time for myself.
Though I read that gifting is not "formally required", I want to be sure to participate and honor the atmosphere at BM. I will not be a tourist or spectator. Not particularly gifted at socializing and meeting new people (just for the sake of socializing. guess I'm better at "colaborating") I can easily give/participate another way. To get involved and participate this year and am really interested in cruising around on bike and offering help to people setting up camp or meeting anyone's repair or fixing needs on the playa. Whether it's creative help or labor with an art project, or helping to troubleshoot and fixing anyone's transportation vehicle. Much better socially at meeting new people when using my hands.

THE POINT OF THIS TOPIC IS; I think I have enough cordless tool batteries to last the week for anything I get into. Though just in case, is anyone aware of a theme camp or place that I could plug a charger to recharge a cordless drill/driver batteries into? (In the spirit that I am using the battery power to pay forward to others needs) I plan on being there from the beginning. And heat is the enemy of battery life.

Contemplating bringing a "kind-of" quiet generator mounted on the roof of my cargo van, surrounded 4 sides in some sound barriers. But am very self conscious about contributing "ugly" noise and exhaust into the BM environment before I witness first hand this year what is appropriate/etiquette. Plus it means more fuel,$$, and valuable cargo space.
Also for you experienced burners, I look forward to my upcoming autonomy, though I contemplate pushing myself and I hesitantly ask, does anyone know of a group or particular theme camp (with space) that I would seem to fit into?
So... initial question, cordless tool recharging?...or just bring my own generator?
THANKS. Can't wait!

Look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=703623#p703623

This guy was actively seeking others to use his power, as he had more than enough for his camp. Might connect with him. Good luck
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:24 am

The heat and dust and crappy generator power will eat your tools and chargers. Things get stolen and "borrowed" all the time. Leave your good tools at home.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:37 pm

You are welcome to stop by Brain Freeze / Got Stickers camp and charge your power tools any time you like. Our grid is live 24/7 and we have an enclosed support trailer that is powered up so you won't have to leave your tools outside. We will be on the SE corner of 4:30 and A. Ask for Jack, Tonya or Dave Best. NO! Not that Dave Best, the other one.

If you are bored and want something to do on Friday, we will also put you to work. Our group plans to burn a Trojan Horse at Midnight and produce a unique pyro show for the Flaming Lotus Girls at 10:00 pm Friday night. It will be an "all hands" Friday for Black Rock FX.

Jack
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby Fabricator » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:18 am

What incredible community!
Thanks everyone. I'll stop by and say hi, and look forward to help anyone who needs it.
Fabricator

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks