The logistics of big name DJs

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

The logistics of big name DJs

Postby jobi » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:24 am

I've always wondered about this. When big name acts play some of the larger soundcamps, how do the logistics work? Do they do it like the rest of us? (pay for their own ticket, arrange their own transportation) Or does the soundcamp get their ticket for them and fly them to BRC or have a runner that shuttles them to/from Reno? Are any of the large acts paid to perform by camps?

Just curious.
jobi

Re: The logistics of big name DJs

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:41 am

Rumor has it that they are paid.
A thread in the ticket sub-forum implies that they can't so much as wipe their own butts and have incompentent managers who forget to buy tickets in a timely matter. Other posts in that same thread indicate something different.
Last edited by theCryptofishist on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:12 am

No blue M&M's.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 am

I personally know and talk to one of the bigger DJs.. I would say the second "biggest" appearing at BM.. and I know for a fact that he is not getting paid nor having his ticket bought for him. Both him and his wife come almost every year and camp and he performs because he loves to.

YMMV
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby essjay » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:26 pm

DJs do not get paid and they pay their own way for the burn. The only compensation I have ever heard of is one (major) DJ getting 2 tickets from the camp he was headlining at. For people who like EDM (electronic dance music) it is one more reason why BM is such an amazing place - it is a place where the top DJs in the world want to be and play. They do not get the rockstar treatment that they get the rest of the year - they camp like everybody else.
essjay

Postby patpatpatme » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 am

where can i find what big name djs will be spinning this year and where/when? is there a list ? thanks ! :D
patpatpatme

Postby Igneouss » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:56 am

If a big theme camp wants to use it's resources to pay (in one way or another) big acts/DJs ... so what?

Do they provide cushy pre-arranged motorhomes/trailers? Fancy food? Showers and private toilets? Free transportation to and from Reno? Maybe even a plane ride to BM?

Maybe there are a few exceptions, but I'd guess that the majority do not have to do any planning or radical self-reliance when attending BM.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:57 am

patpatpatme wrote:where can i find what big name djs will be spinning this year and where/when? is there a list ? thanks ! :D

Go look through the theme camp forum at the lineups. Look at posts by Robot Heart, BASSSCAMP, Opulent Temple and Osiris so far. About a week before the burn, the Rockstar Librarian official/unofficial who/what/when/where list of all DJ set times at all major camps will be released.

As with anything, nothing replaces your own research. Read read read everything on this site.
junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:58 am

Igneouss wrote:but I'd guess that the majority do not have to do any planning or radical self-reliance when attending BM.

You do know what ASSUME stands for, right?
junglesmacks

Postby Igneouss » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:14 am

LOL
Yeah, I'm sure all those famous DJs are busy buying tents and trying to figure out how to haul enough water and food out to the Playa...

ROFLMAO!
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:45 am

Igneouss wrote:ROFLMAO!

*yawn*

Keep assuming, they're reloading. (beats, that is)

The road of life is rocky
And you may stumble too.
So while you're laughing at me..
Someone else is judging you.

Judge not
Before you judge yourself.
Judge not
If you're not ready for judgement. Woah oh oh!
junglesmacks

Postby swampdog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:07 pm

wouldja be
couldja be
wouldja be love?
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:44 pm

I know a number of the "name brand" DJ's that perform at Burning Man, as well as the organizers of several of the big sound installation camps. The DJ's aren't getting paid to play, or even getting covered for travel expenses. In a few cases, camp dues may have been waived, but in most cases not. I helped organize the Temple Of Breaks up through 2007, as well as an eclipse gathering that year, and in a few cases artists/performers paid extra to change their flights and travel arrangements, as well as coordinate their rides so they could make sure to be out on the dust early enough to be able to perform. A couple times we pulled some strings with art car drivers so they would make sure somebody could get from our shindig to someplace else they had signed on to play, and another time we provided shelter at our camp for someone who'd performed (in his rush to make it to the playa in time, he traveled separately from his own tent and gear - rather than make him go try and chase it down in the middle of the night we gave him a place to crash).

A number of the performers not only don't get paid on the playa, but they also put in unpaid time off the playa to help with fundraisers for various camps and art projects.

No, they're not all saints, but they're not all posh, self-entitled jerks either.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Of the DJ's/producers who participate that I know, there's a pretty good mix of tent campers and RV campers. In a few cases, the "manager" coordinates some of the camp logistics. I use the term with quotes because while yeah, they do act as business manager off the playa, they're also friends and campmates on the playa. If you're camping in a group of 4 or 5 or 20 people, odds are the camp coordinator is going to be the one who's really good at logistics and has the time to do it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:56 pm

what trilo said.

yes, even the "Big Name" DJ's LOVE to play the playa, and would not miss it for the world and DO NOT get paid to do so....

you would be surprised at how often the contrary is passed off as common knowledge...well, the fact of the matter is, MOST, i wont say all, because i cant speak for other sound camps (root society was 100% volunteer) DJ's do it for the same reason why anyone else brings their "Art" to the playa, because they love to do it, and they love to see you shake your shit.

i'm sure there are many egos, as there is with any profession of art, but in all honesty, i have not had to deal with anyone of this ilk as of yet, and i have been around the sub-woofers a few times...

it's like anything, you can find something to complain about, or something to cheer...

I for one support the sound camps and their enormous hard work to put on a show for YOU...

i've done it, and i worked 100 hours in the damn desert for a number of years for just the smile on their faces when that first "Whooomp" that comes blasting out of the speakers starts people moving.

yea, volunteers get paid....in smiles...

alright, enough fluff, back to your snarking if you must, just remember when i see you at Osiris or Op Temp wiggling your waggles, that it takes all the pieces to make the BM puzzle complete.
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:05 pm

I know Basscamp is just regular burners, because that's all they are at our regional. I know they do spend resources to attract some headliners, but they don't have deep pockets.

Headliner DJs ..... we get a few at our regional. Not everyone is pleased, because while the sound camp can use their art grant any way they wish, it grates some of us to have community funds used to pay the Djs who create aural art we cannot abide nor escape in a smaller venue as compared to visual or interactive art where we can choose our participation levels. Stay tuned for the nascent regional drama.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:49 pm

AntiM wrote:Stay tuned for the nascent regional drama.

This is like opening in Philidelphia before hitting Broadway?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Sound camps don't get art grants.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Niether do mutant vehicles or other theme camps.

I think that's fine. And I think it's fine that the big art does get funded. I don't think the llc can fund everything, and we all make our own choices about where to put our own money and energy.

There is a percieved social heirarchy at play here, and I think that the sound camps end up being rorschak blots for our own experience in previous heirarchies.

We don't have a big name dj on this board. (Or if we do, he or she is not "out" with it.) So it's people like you and Simon, or worse yet, an avid fan without portfolio, who speak for the djs. What I'm getting at is there is a sort of distortion and a lack of corrective direct experience.

(NOthing like taking time to try and make a sensible post, and find that Frogfuffic has posted at the same time.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:15 pm

Ooooo mommy mommy! I got tagged as the "worse yet" today!

I knew there was a reason I got out of bed today..

You never know who is actually speaking from behind the avatar, nor what/who they really know or do not. As such, it would be wise not to make hasty judgements :D
junglesmacks

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:18 pm

hey now, hasty judgments are what this board does best
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby essjay » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
We don't have a big name dj on this board. (Or if we do, he or she is not "out" with it.) So it's people like you and Simon, or worse yet, an avid fan without portfolio, who speak for the djs. What I'm getting at is there is a sort of distortion and a lack of corrective direct experience.

There is less distortion than you are imagining. Eplaya is not the place for name-dropping. . .
essjay

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:20 pm

There really is NO place for name dropping. Bill Murray told me that once.
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:21 pm

trilobyte wrote:Sound camps don't get art grants.

They do at our regional, sorry if I wasn't clear when I switched gears.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:27 pm

essjay wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

There is less distortion than you are imagining. Eplaya is not the place for name-dropping. . .

+10 :wink:
junglesmacks

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks