Contact Lenses

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Contact Lenses

Postby miracle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:14 pm

My husband will be coming this year to the playa with me. Last time he went he had a difficult time with his eyes. He wears contact lenses and glasses. The problem if he wears contact lenses is that the dust get in his eyes and hurts. BUT if he wears his glasses, when white outs happen he is unable to wear his gogges. Besides buying prescription goggles, any ideas on how to make this work?

Miracle
miracle

Re: Contact Lenses

Postby Raymaker » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:55 am

a lot of safety goggles fit over normal specs, I bought these in the UK because they were cheap, have tried them on and I think they will do for when needed, they may get uncomfortable after a while, but they're cheap, more expensive ones maybe more comfortable? I am sure you can get similar from the US, try Amazon?

http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Safety-Goggles/Standard-Indirect-Vent-Goggle.htm
Raymaker

Postby MoonSplash » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:54 am

Yeah, I went to the thrift store and bought a $3 pair of tinted ski googles that fit over my prescription glasses (many of them are designed to do that). A little bit of glitter paint and I was shiny and ready to embrace the dust. They worked perfectly also.
MoonSplash

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:23 am

Here's also an overall thread on wearing contact lenses comfortably (googled eplaya contact lenses; it's faster than this site's Search feature):

Contact Lenses on the Playa
viewtopic.php?t=39256

Preservative free tears like Thera Tears (not Visine) are my new favorite thing for eye comfort. You can also bring a commercial eyewash, or head to medical at 3 o'clock/9 o'clock plazas or Center Camp for an eyewash if necessary.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby RedHeaven » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:49 am

www.cglasses.com

Go to "Over Eyewear" goggles.

I have them, the "All Star Kit". Comes with day and night lenses. THEY ARE SWEEEET

I switch up between contacts and glasses out there. If I wear contacts, I wear the goggles just to keep the wind off my eyes, let alone the dust.
Enjoy!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby RedHeaven » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:51 am

Here are the ones you want.
http://www.cglasses.com/styles/allstarkit.htm

Heck I would get these even if I dont wear my glasses at all. The visibility is WAY better than average goggles with 2 lenses. I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles oh yeaaah
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Galax » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:46 pm

I can't stand contacts, so my solution was to buy a pair of goggles that fit over my glasses. Mine are very old welding goggles that I found and a flea market and have since covered with fake leather and ornamented, but you can find cheap plastic ones for either skiing or welding that will fit over frames, too. Looks like a bunch of people have already pointed this out. :)

My campmate saves contacts all year. When he switches to a new pair he stashes the old ones and, come late August, brings all these used pairs to the playa. This way if he gets dust or scratches in one of the lenses, he can throw it out and pop in a fresh lens without having to worry about wasting money on a whole new pair each time.
Galax

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks