What gives you that One Foot On The Playa feeling?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

What gives you that One Foot On The Playa feeling?

Postby TwoHott » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:36 am

Just for fun, what gives you that feeling like you have one foot on the playa? For some it is a precompresion. For others it's unpacking from last year and getting playa dust on your hands. For others it's connecting with an old friend. Every year, there is That Moment when you feel it.

For me this year, it was when I was polishing the dance pole on an art car. It suddenly felt real.

For my partner, I cranked up some dubstep and we sat in the mutant bike with all the lights on.

What triggered that moment for you this year?

Re: What gives you that One Foot On The Playa feeling?

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:32 am

I think my brain's heavily playafied, I can't discern the moment. Strange, considering I haven't been since 2007. If there was any kind of 'kicking it into higher gear' for me this year, it was finally circling on the design for our art project. My girlfriend and I work on all kinds of fun, creative projects together, and have been tossing around lots (and lots) of ideas for camp project and structures throughout the last year and change (we knew fairly early on last year that we definitely were planning to come back this year). Anyway, once we had that sorted, things shifted from theoretical to practical and things have been racing ever since :)
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Token » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:28 am

That would have been exodus back in 2001.

Been feeling it ever since. Always one boot on the Playa for me.
Burning Since: 2001

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 am

Token, Good to see ya back, its been a while!

There have been a couple of things for me over this summer.
First was back in June. I had been working on the RV since April, tuning it up, fixing issues, that sorta stuff. Then finally in June, rolled it out for the first time of the year. Sitting behind the wheel of the RV made me realize how soon I'd be sitting there for 24 hours racing towards BRC.

The second was about a month ago, at the beginning of the heat wave. I was driving back to work from lunch and up here in the industrial district, a lot of the paved roads don't have gutters, just dirt. It had rained really bad the night before so some loose dirt/gravel had been washed over the road. I was driving behind a semi, as his 5 axles kicked up a ton of dust, I was I sitting there in my path finder windows rolled down, sweating bullets in 101 degree heat, in a mini white out. And for 2.5 seconds I in line at gates.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby peachandpapa » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:46 am

Pulling the MV out of storage last month and hauling it home for the two month makeover always gets the playa and creative juices flowing! Then again, now that we're 25 days away from lift-off, the "one foot on the playa" feels more like one foot on the throat to get it all done in time!
Go Forth and Tell the Story...
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: At the Oasis

Postby Turnip » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 pm

watching all my money disappear. <3
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

Postby Boijoy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:44 pm

the smell of hand sanitizer always does it for me. weird.
don't forget to floss
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:51 pm

At this point I've got playa dust in the fluid of my spinal cord, and it doesn't take much in the way of stimulus to loosen a particle and send it flooding into the bloodstream. Two or three weeks ago, I was simply sitting at a bus stop, reading. The day was warm. And suddenly there was a specific sound and frequency to the passing traffic--it must have been slow and moderate, human voices over machinery must have--for just a moment--been emphasized, perhaps some music was playing from multiple cars . . . and for just a moment, it sounded very much like a busy night on Esplanade and 9, and the sensation was so distinct that I looked up from my book in recognition and surprise. Then it faded.
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:*sigh*

How about the non-anatomical "back on the playa feeling"?

Having a couple of dinners with Fishy this past month has gotten me excited about seeing everyone, so that got me started.

Last night was our planning dinner to finalize details (we've all been sharing an RV for years, we don't have to meet early), last night was the first night of endless playa dreams.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks