Playa Play time! Toys and games?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Playa Play time! Toys and games?

Postby Ratpick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:35 pm

I just wanted to discuss a little on play things for the playa. I have read through FAQs and understood that other than leaving moop or being excessively dangerous pretty much anything goes. This will be my first time, so I'm just trying to plan through everything and make sure I don't forget something I'll later wish for. I also am pretty aware that I could show up with just water, shelter and some food and still be thoroughly entertained the entire time. But that being said, who doesn't like some extra play time? It's not like it's a regular work day.
I was thinking about most of the standard outdoor/ camping type games like hacky sack, frisbee, hula hoops (seen a lot these in pics), horseshoes, chess, balls (like foot or volley, or even the sweaty ones swinging under shirtcockers)
What about golf? As long as no balls turn to lost moop right?
Any other ideas? Suggestions? Past favorites?
In high school some of my group of friends would do fireball hack- a sock or rag is knotted up tightly to a ball, then soaked with lighter fluid. Now light it and hack away! It was good fun, but stalls and head hits were usually avoided. If you could. But haven't done that in at least 12 years. Seems like something to bring back for Burning Man though.
I know enough to know I don't know shit. I just wish more people knew that much.
Ratpick

Location: Altadena! (you know, above LA, where the mountains rise up)

Re: Playa Play time! Toys and games?

Postby HandJamMasterC » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:00 pm

I'd bring some hula hoops and call it good. if this is your first time, I have to say that there is some much going on and so much to see, you will never see it all. You won't have that much time for toys. And if you do, go check out the mini golf theme camp, roller disco, the bowling alley etc...................
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Ratpick wrote:I just wanted to discuss a little on play things for the playa. I have read through FAQs and understood that other than leaving moop or being excessively dangerous pretty much anything goes.

....As long as you don't interfere with someone else's trip. :)

Yep, lots of kites, etc. Be creative. I hate to tell you that your "fire hack" has been done before, so I won't. :D
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby The Bee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Last year some guys reserved a huge amount of prime camping space for frisbee golf. All week, people kept driving by asking if they could camp there. Finally, late in the week they set up their frisbee golf basket thingees. Two or three of them played for two or three minutes. That was it. Kind of a let-down. It made the neighborhood feel a bit like "the other side of the tracks." So, please, don't do that :)
The Bee

Burning Since: 2008

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:27 pm

There's PLENTY of entertainment out there, sometimes even the best of default world games can seem dull and uninteresting by comparison. Games? What about Big Game Camp? Not sure if they'll be there this year, but they do massively oversized versions of popular games. Golf? Why not Peep Show Mini Golf? (yeah, that's a real thing). I saw on the theme camp list there's even an Angry Birds themed camp that's building that to play with. You can usually find a few folks bringing trampolines, merry go-rounds, and even DIY human-powered ferris wheels.

I would caution you against golf, though. Even with brightly colored golf balls, I can imagine it's really easy for a ball to catch the wind (gusts can top 40mph at ground level, probably faster a few hundred fee up) and really get away from you out there, and if it goes well beyond the trash fence I'm pretty sure the perimeter guys are going to have a problem with that. But bringing an old putter and a couple balls to knock into cups or bowls at camp, knock yourself out.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Ratpick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Yeah didn't say we invented fireball hack! ;)
I guess about the answers I expected. Just lots ideas bouncing around in my head while I'm sittin at work. Because honestly, these sort of things are far down my list. Besides everything for survival, I was mainly planning on bikes, booze and bud.
Kites! Yes. I need to find a good controllable kite to fly on my bike! Right? I'm sure someone has done this. I saw some pics of windsurfers on those big wheeled skateboards. Looked awesome enough. Kite-biking? Anyone?
I know enough to know I don't know shit. I just wish more people knew that much.
Ratpick

Location: Altadena! (you know, above LA, where the mountains rise up)

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:16 pm

We have a light up frisbee which we've played with a couple times over the years. Too hot in the day to play many games, and too much to do after dark!!!
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks