First Aid

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

First Aid

Postby semiautomagic » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:00 am

I'm putting together a first aid kit. Below is a list of items I've come up with so far. Please add to, steal from, and criticize at will. I apologize in advance if there is already a thread on this that I was unable to locate.

strip bandages,
gauze pads
roller bandages,
paper tape,
tincture of benzoin
butterfly strips
Ace bandages
adhering and non-adhering gauze rolls
chemical cold packs
splint
basic household meds (painkillers, anti-diarrhea, etc.)
tweezers
eye drops* if someone can think of a more effective eye-flush to have on hand, let me know
electrolyte replacement tabs
aloe
topical pain killer
semiautomagic

Re: First Aid

Postby Raymaker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:51 am

scissors
Raymaker

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:56 am

Great list, radical self reliance and all.

Remember though that there is also a great first aid tent/service out there, so it's not like you're left in the dust with an arm dangling should the need arise.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby waxpraxis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:04 am

This might sound a bit odd, but when I was in the boy scouts we always included an extra pair or two of tube socks in our kits. Many of the injuries on the playa and out in the woods tend to be foot-based so having something to help hold bandages in place or even just cut up for other uses is just-plain-handy.

I'm also a big fan of always having extra rope.
waxpraxis

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 am

You might try nasal spray instead of eyedrops; you'd get a steady stream for flushing. I"m sure you could go to a medical supply store (and they are everywhere, or at least in bigger towns) and get saline. Or try ordering from Gall's which was my EMT husband's favorite on-line supply source.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:02 am

At my age, the most important item in the first aid kit is a portable defibrillator. :shock: :cry:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 am

That's a good kit, semiautomagic . You & I have some overlap. I admit I leave out splints & slings, because these can be improvised until one gets to Medical near Center Camp, or the 3o'clock and 9o'clock Stations; plus they take up more space than I like, so between the two factors, if I have to leave something out, it's going to be those. (ESD also has eyewash, although I bring ordinary eye relief). Saline does not go in the kit either; I already have it out on the nightstand for my eyes--and then a little up my nose, nightly. Prevents nosebleeds in that dry climate. If you don't have contact lenses, pick up a bottle of nasal saline; hell, even if you do. (Because I don't mind doing it the cheap & easy way, but nasal saline designed for the purpose has an easier, more sophisticated delivery system.) Here's my kit:

Pepcid
Laxative
Ibuprofen
Aspirin - safer for hangovers
Ginger candy - by "The Ginger People" (great for upset stomach)
Glucose tablets for diabetics (Juice boxes are in the cooler)
Immodium
Pedialyte powder

Tweezers
Scissors
Finger cots - finger condoms; keeps bandaids cleaner & drier when one is working on something
Liquid bandage - this is great for hangnails, papercuts & other tiny cuts often received during camp setup
Cotton balls
Alcohol wipes
Neosporin
Peroxide

First aid tape (1 flexible waterproof roll; 1 classic)
Rolled gauze (2)
Solarcaine
Sanitizer pump
Preservative-free single use Tears (I like Thera Tears; it's not a redness reducer . . . redness reducer goes in cosmetics!)

CPR mask (for use if you've had basic training) http://www.amazon.com/Laerdal-Pocket-Ma ... B001DSLHIW
Extra vinyl gloves
Bandaids, assorted
Gauze squares (2"x2" and 3"x3")
Ace bandage

Not in the kit, but great: 8 oz (?) bottle of lemon juice & wipes with which to treat my feet at night. Lotion follows.

The kit stays in camp. In the playa backpack goes a tiny version: a 2nd CPR mask, gloves, bandaids, Neo-to-Go, Ibuprofen, sanitizer.

waxpraxis wrote:This might sound a bit odd, but when I was in the boy scouts we always included an extra pair or two of tube socks in our kits. Many of the injuries on the playa and out in the woods tend to be foot-based so having something to help hold bandages in place or even just cut up for other uses is just-plain-handy.

Love that idea! Cut the toe end of the sock off and you have a nice tube to protect a bandaged arm.
Savannah

Postby phil » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:02 am

The first item in a first aid kit is a trained user of the kit. Having all the kit doesn't mean much if the person holding it doesn't know what it's for and how to use it.

Sterile saline solution works better than eye drops at flushing stuff out of the eyes. Big bottle, lots of water.

Also add saline nasal spray. A bottle per person in your camp, and use it daily.

I'd suggest a mild acid to counteract the base pH of the playa powder: vinegar, lemon juice, and the like. If you have cracks in your skin from the dryness, use a mild acid solution (vinegar or juice in water) to rinse out the cracks and counter the burning by the base. That black stuff in and around the crack is dead skin burned by the playa powder.

SAM splints seem to work well and are portable without being a pain to have around. If you're going to splint a limb, it helps to have had training on how to fit the splint without torturing your patient and on how to effectively immobilize the limb. I _highly_ recommend splints for broken bones. It's incredible how effective a good splint is in keeping pain down while transporting someone with a broken leg or arm.

Triangular bandages (cravats) work well for lots of things, including holding on splints and being slings for arms. Make your own cravats from old sheets and shirts and such.

Most people get into trouble on the playa from encounters with rebar and the sun.
phil

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:15 am

Incidentally, if it appears that I was somehow advocating not-splinting, please know that that is not the case. :) Splints can be made from many things.
Savannah

Postby Sail Man » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:12 pm

jkisha wrote:At my age, the most important item in the first aid kit is a portable defibrillator. :shock: :cry:

Ohhhhhh, the sound of a defib charging up for a shock just get's me soooo excited :mrgreen: It's when your the one who can't hear it that you should be worrying :wink:

OP, add duct tape for splinting and blisters, popsicles for splinting, steri-strips and/or super glue for lacerations
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby waxpraxis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Savannah wrote:Love that idea! Cut the toe end of the sock off and you have a nice tube to protect a bandaged arm.

Yep, that's exactly what they got used for quite often. They're also useful just to quickly mop up a lot of blood (not on the wound of course, since socks aren't sterile). This can help limit the amount of water used (water usage is of concern out in the woods too!)
waxpraxis

Postby Rusted Iron » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Kotex pads make great pressure dressings. Just wrap them down with a roll of gauze or an ace bandage. (I keep a couple of sterile wrapped peri pads from OB, Kerlex and Coban in my first aid kit... Never know when our going to run into an arterial bleed...). Tampons don't work as well, except for nose bleeds.
Rusted Iron

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks