How to get to burning man with a bus

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

How to get to burning man with a bus

Postby idoharto » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:43 am

Hello People,
Sorry if this was posted in the past.I was sure there would be something about this question in the QA, but couldn't find anything about i.
My name is Ido, I am coming to Burning Man for the first time this year which is awfully exciting but also awfully confusing since everything seems to be so complex.
I don't have a car, and I was checking the possibilities for getting to the Playa with a public bus.
I found the Green Tortoise Adventure Travel bus, but as far as i could tell, their package is not only for the but but for a whole camp, and is way too expensive for me (almost 700$ for the 5 days package), since I am already meeting up with other people in the playa.
I also found out that there is a bus shuttle going to the burn from Gerlach-Empire. However, I don't know how to get to Gerlach-Empire.
Some people told me that they saw buses leaving to the Burn from Haight-Ashbury last year, but I don't know what they meant, because they didn't have anymore info on that.

So, does anybody know have any information on how it is possible to get to the Burning Man with a bus at a reasonable price from Los Angeles orr San Francisco?

Thank you,
Ido
idoharto

Re: How to get to burning man with a bus

Postby bobushka king » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:32 am

check (or post up on) the rideshare section!

http://www.burningman.com/calendar/year ... hp?id=4526
bobushka king

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:08 am

There is no public transit to the BRC. The bus from the Haight Ashbury is either a privately owned/chartered thing, or it's the Green Tortoise. The bus to Gerlach/Empire is GT again, and is designed for burners who need to pick up groceries or make a phone call, not as the way for someone to get through the gate with his or her luggage.
check the rideshare.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:41 am

Bus to Reno, then ride share.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby idoharto » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:22 am

The bus to Reno won't be a problem but the rideshare situation seems pretty precarious, also from Reno. Since I will be coming from NY on the 28th, and still don't have a concrete plane ticket I'm actually checking all rideshare possibilities: LA, San Francisco, Reno or anything else that might work.
Is there any other place where rideshares are posted?
The girl who mentioned the buses going for Haight-Ashbury insisted that last year when they got there there were offers for bus rides with no need to purchase tickets in advance - but I'm still reluctant to count on that bit of information and risk getting stuck without a ride.
Any other tips on the subject?
Thanks!
Ido
idoharto

Postby Token » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Ido dear, you will have to do what tens of thousands of people have done before you, just let go.

Either arrange a rideshare in advance, or make it to Reno to one of the many rideshare pickup spots, gas money in hand.

It's really hard to imagine that you could stand on any number of freeway ramps in Reno at BM time and pretty much get a ride to the Playa within an hour or two, but it's true.

If you don't have a reliable ride you can trust from SF/Oakland etc. my bet would be to fly to Reno then arrange a ride there. Usually there is a shuttle from the airport to one of the rideshare spots, or you can share a cab with folks doing the same maneuver.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:30 pm

In addition to the rideshare link posted above (use it!), there should be a rideshare desk on the first floor of the Reno airport near the baggage area. It's informal, run by volunteers, and does a brisk business. The best of luck to you!
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby idoharto » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Ok, People!
Now I understand what you mean!
Indeed, if thousands and people manage to get by hitchhiking from Reno each year I will as well.
I will have complete faith and someway, somehow, i'll find the way to the Burn.
So now I let go. Reno, here I come.
Thank you buddies, your help was appreciated :)
Ido
idoharto

Postby Turnip » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Don't say 'hitchhiking"

That is a bad, and illegal, word.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby idoharto » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Why?
(Just asking innocently)
idoharto

Postby Raymaker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:11 am

Turnip wrote:Don't say 'hitchhiking" That is a bad, and illegal, word.

I found this… maybe what they are thinking about?

"During these last 3 years I've learned that many people believe hitchhiking is illegal in the United States. This is simply not true. While some states may have quirky laws that can make hitchhiking more difficult, there is no state-wide law that outright prohibits hitchhiking. It's the legal definition of the word roadway that throws most people off."
Raymaker

Postby chaZarlotte » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:04 pm

These guys still had seats the other day:
http://www.biotour.org/content/events/2 ... s2011.html
chaZarlotte

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks