Is sunday worth it?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Is sunday worth it?

Postby peacefulhuman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:57 pm

ajs wrote:Eric and a few other people seemed to think it could be an epic journey out the gates and into Reno. But jojofroyo, if I read your post right, you said that last year you left 5:30 AM Monday and were in Reno by 9 AM. I'd have to be at the airport to drop off rental by 10:30 AM, so I"m thinking I'd want to leave around 4 AM. Does anyone have any recent experience leaving that early morning Monday?

Last year, I stayed for the Temple burn - wouldn't have missed it for anything! I spent Sunday packing up my camp and loading my car, and then went out to watch the Temple fall. Afterward, I said goodbye to my campmates as most of them were leaving right then. I got in my packed car and slept for a couple hours. At 3:00 am, I headed for the exit. It took me about an hour and a half to reach the highway, even at that hour, but once I did, it was clear sailing all the way home.

I suspect that leaving the playa feels sad no matter when one chooses to depart.
peacefulhuman

Re: Is sunday worth it?

Postby jojofroyo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:29 pm

portaplaya wrote:The Monday AM exodus is bad. The new process of Pulsing is awesome, because you can shut your engine off while you wait, but it is no faster than the old way of merging eight lanes.

BMIR will have regular updates on the expected wait time to hit the highway, but yes, it can take 3,4 even 5 hours at its worst. 5am Monday still gets you to Reno in time for a 1:30 flight, as long as nothing goes wrong on the highway, even with the worst of Exodus lines. Or you can leave immediately after the temple burn.

As for staying for Sunday, you won't know what your experience is like until you have it. But I suggest that you'll be happy that you found out for yourself.

I think if you leave a 4am or 5am you should be ok! They dont start the pulsing until 7 or 8 in the morning, but it still flows pretty well! But like they said it does change from year to year, so it could be different this year!
jojofroyo

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks