Is sunday worth it?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Is sunday worth it?

Postby ajs » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:11 pm

This will be my third burn. The previous two years I've left around 5 am Sunday. This year I have the option of leaving at a similar time Monday. The disadvantage of staying the extra day is that I'll presumably hit quite a bit of traffic (my flight out of reno would be 1:30pm Monday, so I know I'd have to leave crazy early) whereas I've hit absolutely zero traffic between my campsite and reno airport leaving 5 am Sunday. The other thing is I've always been really fried by the time I left, so not sure I'd have much energy to enjoy the extra day. The advantage, of course, is an extra day of burning man, including the temple burn. Though I'll also say that even on Saturday it seems llke things are starting to wind down so I could see Sunday potentially being a little anticlimactic, perhaps even slightly bleak. But I"m just speculating, so would love to hear from people who have actually stayed the duration.

Thanks bunches for your help!

[EDIT: not sure where to post this, sticking it in preparation since the reason I ask is I'm booking my plane ticket, apologies if there's a more appropriate forum]
Last edited by ajs on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajs

Re: Is sunday worth it?

Postby gaminwench » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:59 pm

12th year, wouldn't dream of missing Temple burn... the community in silence is worth it...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Clar-i-ty » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:10 am

gaminwench wrote:12th year, wouldn't dream of missing Temple burn... the community in silence is worth it...

WORD
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:21 am

I've left Saturday around sunset before the Man burns, I've left Sunday before Temple burns, I've left Monday when it's all burnt- it's all good.

If you want to be there when the Temple burns, be completely sober & have your car completely packed & ready, stay for that burn and leave immediately after! If you wait until sunrise there will be lines. Even right after Temple burn there will be Exodus lines.

Personally I wouldn't push my luck if I had a 1:30pm flight on Monday- I'd get to Reno on Sunday, shower, clean, eat, decompress a little (not the best town to do it in, but it's amazing what a shower & a real toilet can do for you)... It will take off the pressure and stress of missing your flight.

I am, however, very non-spiritual.

YMMV
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Sham » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:36 am

My bucket list has one big item I can seem to hit. I want to see the Temple burn at the Burning Man festival. I've heard that it's is a spectacular display, that I've only been able to see in pictures and videos.
Sham

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:40 am

Clar-i-ty wrote:
gaminwench wrote:12th year, wouldn't dream of missing Temple burn... the community in silence is worth it...

WORD

That is my favorite part. Thousands and thousands of people in contemplative near-silence. Next favorite part: the general beauty of the flames in the shape of the structure. I'm slightly sad to be working during it this year, but I've been to enough of them that I was able to give it up this time.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:25 am

I stay for everything else.

I found the most amazing fire experience set up by the dpw on sunday night.
Missed it all week.

Your decision.
I would set a later flight if possible.
gyre

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:55 am

I'm not a very spiritual person, and don't particularly get into seeing the big spectator-burn events. but I wouldn't miss the temple. In previous adventures, it's always been an amazing event, and amazing night. This one looks like it'll be pretty special too.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby deviceone » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:19 am

My favorite days on the playa are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday. Thursday is probably where my coherence on reality starts to slip and the Spring Breakers start to get to me. Friday and Saturday are fun but a lot of the community feeling I had watching the city be built is eroded. During the man burn this year, I think I'm just gonna pop a chair over by the Temple and kick it with the Guardians and have a really good cold beer and a few tugs on some fine whiskey. After that that I'll party like everyone else of course :) But when Sunday night rolls around, I feel like that community feeling comes washing over like a ethereal sponge bath. And I have a really damn good, albeit chill, time. I think it heals a slight wound from the over indulgence and sensory overkill. I wouldn't dream of a burn being complete without seeing that Temple fall.
yep
deviceone

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:41 am

..this year especially. If you haven't seen the temple this year.. WOW!! It's taller than the man, and HUGE.. such incredible work going on. I cannot wait to see it..

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby Igneouss » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:18 am

Temple burn has lots more meaning to LOTS of people than the Man.
Stay and be a part of something other than the big circus that is the Man Burn.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Dust Becomes You » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:17 am

You can do it!

Remember, its the LAST YEAR OF BURNING MAN (according to the ebay scalpers)
Dust Becomes You

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:08 am

I like this thread, its shown a lot of light on the Temple burn
I personally have never stayed for it, mind you this will only be year 3. Just driving out on Sunday is depressing enough for me. The city is torn down, people are not partying, everyone looks hung over, and the place is empty. I can't imagine how depressing it would be to stay for temple burn.
I'm afraid it would leave a bad taste in my mouth at the end of the burn.
But from what I'm reading, it sounds like that bad taste is kind of refreshing and puts a nice close or finishing touch to the burn.
Sadly, this year I have to be back to work on Wednesday. It is a 24 hour drive from BRC to Denver, and that is if you have enough drivers to go non stop. This year its just me driving, so I'll need to spend a night someplace. Or stop every 8 hours for a couple hour nap.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Igneouss » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 am

I'm with a big theme camp. I'd say half of us do not go to the Man burn. We watch from our camp and enjoy some cold drinks.

But we all go the Temple burn.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby ConnieH » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:18 am

I love the Temple burn much better than the Man burn - it's a completely different vibe, not so "showy" but every bit as spectacular. If you have the luxury to hang around afterwards, the feeling of the people is different, too. Kind of sad because everyone is thinking about packing up and leaving, but there's a lot of reflection about the past week, too...the mood in our bar after the Temple burn was very subdued, sort of a like a wake for your favorite uncle, and for once that week we didn't have anyone coming in for drinks. The frat boys are gone. We had the bar to ourselves to reflect, cry, connect with campmates we had hardly seen all week and seal the friendships we made. It was glorious and one of my favorite nights of the week. Wouldn't miss it for the world.
ConnieH

Postby essjay » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:27 am

illy dilly wrote:But from what I'm reading, it sounds like that bad taste is kind of refreshing and puts a nice close or finishing touch to the burn.

I like the temple burn more than the Man burn these days. The sound of silence after a week of noise and anarchy is amazing. Yes, the playa is half-gone, but for me the Temple burn has always been worth it. With the sell-out this year, I expect a lot of virgins and a lot of chaos on Fri. and Sat. - I think that will make the Temple burn that much more essential this year.
essjay

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:15 am

illy dilly wrote:I like this thread, its shown a lot of light on the Temple burn
I personally have never stayed for it, mind you this will only be year 3. Just driving out on Sunday is depressing enough for me. The city is torn down, people are not partying, everyone looks hung over, and the place is empty. I can't imagine how depressing it would be to stay for temple burn.
I'm afraid it would leave a bad taste in my mouth at the end of the burn.
But from what I'm reading, it sounds like that bad taste is kind of refreshing and puts a nice close or finishing touch to the burn.
Sadly, this year I have to be back to work on Wednesday. It is a 24 hour drive from BRC to Denver, and that is if you have enough drivers to go non stop. This year its just me driving, so I'll need to spend a night someplace. Or stop every 8 hours for a couple hour nap.

Actually things kind of revive at night, with some camps soldiering on and staying open.
Naturally they get a lot of attention as others are gone.
One bar stayed open all night on the esplanade.

Sunday is a great night.
gyre

Postby ehcsztein » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:39 am

For me the burning of the man is the end of one year.

The burning of the temple starts a new one.

The hours between the two are very important to me and watching the city fade away has become a favorite activity of mine.
ehcsztein

Postby jojofroyo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:48 am

The Temple Burn is worth staying! last year only about 4 people from my theme stayed for it including me, so we met with some past members of camp and went out with a little group! it was awesome, I love the temple burn!

but if your worried about getting out in time, last year me and my roommate (he was driving his truck, me driving mine) woke up at about 530 and we got into the exodus line as fast as we could. Probably only sat in line for about 45 minutes, this was before the time of the day when they started pulsing or even having staff manning the gate. We were back in town by 9am!

Hope you decide to stay!
jojofroyo

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 pm

the Temple burn this year is going to be amazing (worlds largest temp wooden structure). Gotta stay this year for it
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Rabbette » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:19 pm

I was quite down when my sweetheart said we would be leaving after the burn of the man. I felt like it was not going to give me proper closure. Then later a couple weeks later my honey said we could maybe stay for temple burn I was like - woo hooooo (translation is yes we are staying for temple burn)

I feel like temple burn will really be the best and most beautiful way to end the journey of Burning Man.

You should stay too!
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:07 pm

illy dilly wrote:I like this thread, its shown a lot of light on the Temple burn

Come by Fandango- Esplanade & 4. Last year on Sunday we got an off and on 8ish hour dust storm where we were, and we kept the bar open, the music playing, the megaphone heckling until well after midnight (Mon am, technically). Hell, they served some booze on Monday as they were breaking down the bar!

Dive bars party until we run out of booze.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby jojofroyo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Eric wrote:

Come by Fandango- Esplanade & 4. Last year on Sunday we got an off and on 8ish hour dust storm where we were, and we kept the bar open, the music playing, the megaphone heckling until well after midnight (Mon am, technically). Hell, they served some booze on Monday as they were breaking down the bar!

Dive bars party until we run out of booze.

That's what I like to hear! Sunday after the temple burns is when hardcore party people come out!
jojofroyo

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:52 pm

Leave Friday night. The rest is just meaningless garbage. No community building at all.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LEVLHED » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:59 am

IMO you haven't *really* experienced the WHOLE thing that is Burning Man unless you have seen the Temple fall. I would never dream of leaving before that happened.
It is truly a very powerful experience. It gives me chills and tugs at my heart just thinking about it.
2004 & 2009 & 2011
LEVLHED

Burning Since: 2004

Postby xhoosier » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:09 am

I didn't stay for it the first year and then last year I stayed it was worth the extra time in getting out But to add a few things, remember the dust devils last year! Wow!! It is a good time to reflect and think of others who are no longer with us, friends who could not make the burn, our personal issues, our resolutions and the end to a great time in the desert. Great evening for hugs and a few final beers too.
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Postby jojofroyo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:42 am

xhoosier wrote:I didn't stay for it the first year and then last year I stayed it was worth the extra time in getting out But to add a few things, remember the dust devils last year! Wow!! It is a good time to reflect and think of others who are no longer with us, friends who could not make the burn, our personal issues, our resolutions and the end to a great time in the desert. Great evening for hugs and a few final beers too.

I feel like there are always dust storms right after they burn the Man and the Temple because of the mad rush of people trying to leave kicking up dust on the gate road!
Night time white outs are extremely fun and extremely dangerous! Remember if you cant see them, they cant see you! So be prepared and safe!
jojofroyo

Postby ajs » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:12 pm

Wow thank you so much everyone for the wealth of thoughtful replies! This alone reminds me that one of my favorite things about BRC is how willing most people are to help others.

So you're collectively made a persuasive case, and now I'm working on logistics. One question is how bad very early Monday AM exodus is.

Eric and a few other people seemed to think it could be an epic journey out the gates and into Reno. But jojofroyo, if I read your post right, you said that last year you left 5:30 AM Monday and were in Reno by 9 AM. I'd have to be at the airport to drop off rental by 10:30 AM, so I"m thinking I'd want to leave around 4 AM. Does anyone have any recent experience leaving that early morning Monday?

Thanks.

EDIT: BTW I searched extensively for this info but surprisingly couldn't find anything relevant from the last five years.
ajs

Postby SnowBlind » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:09 pm

If you are asking about specific times, keep in mind that those change from year to year. One year the exodus was particularly bad on Monday, and it seemed next year everybody avoided that time. So sometimes it shifts back and forth from year to year.

That said, people start leaving Sat night after the Man burn and it continues until late Monday. More people probably leave on Mon than on Sun, but Sun has a lot of departures as well. You do see people leave all thru the night, but that's still less than during the day. So leaving early in the am might give you a break. A lot of people get up when the sun rises, pack up their stuff and leave. So it probably peaks between 8am and 12am, stays bad thru the afternoon and falls off at night. Very roughly.

Again, if you have some idea of how to avoid traffic, and that year a thousand other burners have the same bright idea, then you are all in traffic together.
SnowBlind

Postby portaplaya » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:16 pm

The Monday AM exodus is bad. The new process of Pulsing is awesome, because you can shut your engine off while you wait, but it is no faster than the old way of merging eight lanes.

BMIR will have regular updates on the expected wait time to hit the highway, but yes, it can take 3,4 even 5 hours at its worst. 5am Monday still gets you to Reno in time for a 1:30 flight, as long as nothing goes wrong on the highway, even with the worst of Exodus lines. Or you can leave immediately after the temple burn.

As for staying for Sunday, you won't know what your experience is like until you have it. But I suggest that you'll be happy that you found out for yourself.
portaplaya

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks