Virgin Arrival Gerlach to the Gate Questions

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Virgin Arrival Gerlach to the Gate Questions

Postby shamansjourney » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:35 pm

I've tried to gleen as much insight through these threads about what to expect for arrival process through Gerlach to the gate - but not grasping it yet. I've got nothing better to do then just get to Gerlach as early as Sunrise Sunday morning. How early are you allowed to drive towards the gate to be as close as possible to the 12:00 AM opening on Sunday? I see they don't want people on the side of the road waiting etc. What is typical for crowds gathering in Gerlach before heading to the gate? Is there like some magic Bullhorn that says GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES and you are off from Gerlach in mass? How early can you actually be waiting at the gate? Saturday sometime?

Any protocol or policies for being in Gerlach and hanging out for the day on Saturday night/Sunday? ITs got to be some kind of crazy zoo.

Thanks for any insights - tips - things to be aware of
shamansjourney

Re: Virgin Arrival Gerlach to the Gate Questions

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:51 pm

shamansjourney wrote:Any protocol or policies for being in Gerlach and hanging out for the day on Saturday night/Sunday? ITs got to be some kind of crazy zoo.

Please, don't do this. There is no camping site (the closest is Pyramid Lake an hour away), there are no hotel rooms (LEO's have them all) and it's a Very Small Town that tolerates us at best. They live at the edge of nowhere for a reason. People hanging out in Gerlach will piss off the locals, will draw the attention of local law enforcement to you and anyone around you and will cause problems for the event in the long term.

Hang out in Reno Saturday night & don't plan on heading to the playa until 9 or 10 pm (or even early AM Monday). If you get there to Gate too early you'll be shunted over to the D Lot (first in- last out) and could spend 8-12 hours there until you get in the City. Possibly longer than it would take than if you just showed up to the Gate at the proper time.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby essjay » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:58 pm

Don't hang around Gerlach. There is NOTHING there. Just a gas station and a handful of buildings. You'll find more burners at the costco in Reno.
essjay

Postby shamansjourney » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks Eric - thats what Im trying to do. Figure out what has kind of been established over the years as acceptable or not. Im sure i'll step in a few piles of "OOPS didnt mean to do that" - along the way, but trying to not be a blatant NEWB.
shamansjourney

Postby shamansjourney » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:01 am

ooooooo Costco! There ya go. Stock up. Is it like some sort of unspoken exodus time when people just start migrating from Reno enmasse?
shamansjourney

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:04 am

Eric gave you the Top Secret Reno Exit Time . . . :)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby shamansjourney » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:13 am

shhhhhhhh our little secret. *w*
shamansjourney

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:14 am

Savannah wrote:Eric gave you the Top Secret Reno Exit Time . . . :)

Drats. I always end up doing that- watch, this year I won't have EA & I'll end up regretting it!

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:22 am

If it's any comfort, I almost posted the same until I noticed you did. :D And Google Maps would say about the same (in a slightly more optimistic fashion). But knowing human nature, and that special thing known as last minute Burning Man shopping, most people who try to leave Reno at 9 or 10 will leave at midnight. This is what happened to my group in 2009 when we tried to leave Klamath Falls at a decent hour. Three wimminz, one of us a virgin, tearing apart a full-service Fred Meyer. Hilarity. At least 3 hours in the store (1 full hour more than alloted) including the sandwich break, hanging out in the parking lot, taping the shape of the Man onto the cars (because we like to increase our risk of being pulled over) and at least three trips apiece to the last civilized bathroom . . .
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:37 am

Savannah wrote:at least three trips apiece to the last civilized bathroom . . .

That's a treat for the men-folk as well!

We've stayed in Reno Monday night on the way home since... 2006 I think... my favorite part is the shower. Second favorite is the toilet.

I don't get excited about "real" food until I'm back in SF & I can eat from my favorite restaurants...

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:30 am

Eric wrote:
Savannah wrote:at least three trips apiece to the last civilized bathroom . . .

That's a treat for the men-folk as well!

We've stayed in Reno Monday night on the way home since... 2006 I think... my favorite part is the shower. Second favorite is the toilet.

I don't get excited about "real" food until I'm back in SF & I can eat from my favorite restaurants...

Definitely feel blessed to have early entry. You work hard on a piece of art and it is SO nice to be able to get there early and set it up, ready for folks to look at. And this year is especially significant as i wil be getting MARRIED under our art on Wednesday. Then after the burn, its Reno and some R and R only the Geatest Little City In The World can offer. 2 weeks of bliss. Can't wait!!!!!!!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:42 am

The Gate Crew also has a mini-site with some useful information - here
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby shamansjourney » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:32 am

thanks for the link Trilobyte - that really helped get it in perspective.
shamansjourney

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:57 am

Eric wrote:

Drats. I always end up doing that- watch, this year I won't have EA & I'll end up regretting it!

If I can't scrounge up my EA, can I hang out with you? Our contingency plan is to send MyLarry and Genius in early (ranger plus one), let them set up, while I cool my heels in Reno in a hotel room.

LOL, Gerlach doesn't even have sidewalks. Seriously. Nowhere to wait. Reno or Fernley are your best bet, shoot for a dawn arrival, light enough to see, cool enough that set up isn't brutal.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 am

AntiM wrote:
Eric wrote:

If I can't scrounge up my EA, can I hang out with you? Our contingency plan is to send MyLarry and Genius in early (ranger plus one), let them set up, while I cool my heels in Reno in a hotel room.

LOL, Gerlach doesn't even have sidewalks. Seriously. Nowhere to wait. Reno or Fernley are your best bet, shoot for a dawn arrival, light enough to see, cool enough that set up isn't brutal.

Ooh! Ooh! Me too, me too, me too! Pretty please?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 am

Pity party in Reno?
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 am

Yeah, well, I'm sure we've got lots of new lines of woe off the tickets threads.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby phil » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:18 am

Anybody know what the traffic's usually like at dawn on Monday? For a new person, my suggestion is to arrive Monday morning when it's light so you can see around you. You'll wake a few people up at dawn, but at least you'll be able to see BRC, open spaces, reserved spaces, and such, and actually have some light to set up by. If you haven't been before, having daylight is meaningful.
phil

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:32 am

phil wrote:Anybody know what the traffic's usually like at dawn on Monday? For a new person, my suggestion is to arrive Monday morning when it's light so you can see around you. You'll wake a few people up at dawn, but at least you'll be able to see BRC, open spaces, reserved spaces, and such, and actually have some light to set up by. If you haven't been before, having daylight is meaningful.

It wasn't bad at all when we did it, but it has been a few years.
AntiM

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 am

AntiM wrote:Pity party in Reno?

If we stay in Reno, hell yes!

Literally 10 minutes after I posted that I found out no EA for the first time since around 2005. *sigh*

We haven't decided our departure date yet- probably Sunday, but early, late... who knows? *shrug*. We're still figuring it out.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:58 am

MAybe I should hitch a ride in....
AntiM

Postby Funkpocket » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Bar hoppin' in Gerlach is one of the highlights of our trip. Bruno's is slammed, but the bar with the clarinet lamp rarely has more than two people at the bar. We have a few, play the jukebox, end up at Bruno's.. and all at once one group heads out, and everyone rushes out the door to hurry up and wait.

BM Radio gets me fired up while waiting in line
Funkpocket

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks