BMan on a fractured foot advice

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

BMan on a fractured foot advice

Postby rubymermaid » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:30 pm

I recently fractured my foot. Of course this is devastating for me. Does anyone have any advice? Should I sell my ticket? Should I still go? Any experience attending in an air cast / crutches would be helpful.

Last year was my first year. I got much more involved in a theme camp and have been planning and working and spending money for the past 6 months. I was fully prepared until now. I am so devastated. I know it's all biking and walking. I really am crushed right now.
rubymermaid

Re: BMan on a fractured foot advice

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Apply--now! Don't give up. Note: Looks like you will need a city or state issued disability placard. A doctor might be able to help you get one. I don't know the standards for these placards, or whether you have to have the placard actually issued to you by the 31st. But inquire! If you get approved, you can still take time to make up your mind as to whether you feel comfortable going. Those with disabilities may actually (with approval from the event) drive around Black Rock City, at 5 mph in a car that has passed inspection, etc.

Disabled Persons Vehicle Application: Open until July 31, 2011 at 12:00 noon, Pacific Time
http://forms.burningman.com/

dmv at burningman dot com

Also, if you can stand (I don't know if you can) what about a small, low-power scooter?

Scooters and Go-Peds

Large, seated, street-legal "Vespa" type scooters, like motorcycles, are not allowed to drive in our pedestrian and bicycle city.

Small motorized scooters (two wheeled, lightweight, standup, small, no-seat, off-street type) and go-peds are allowed in Black Rock City but they are subject to the same rules as any other motorized vehicles - drive 5 MPH and have front and rear lights at night. BLM Rangers will issue citations for non-compliance.

Found that 2/3 of the way down this page:
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... afety.html

I have to admit, if I fractured my foot, I'd probably still go. :) But that's a pretty personal decision, and you have my sympathy.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby rubymermaid » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks Savannah. I was already looking into a handicap pass before I knew it was broken. I hope I can get it together in time. I think I'm still going to go. I think they said air cast. Maybe I can get a walkable one in four weeks.
rubymermaid

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Good luck!
Savannah

Postby Jax Dee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:52 pm

I have been through the handicap process with the dmv, it is simple. You download the form from your state dmv website. Take it to your doctor and have it filled out. Go back to the dmv and get your placard (Not plates for the car! Placard is easier, cheaper, and faster). They issue you a temporary one until your perm ones come in the mail. You can get 6 month temp or 5 year perm ones depending on your needs. Your doctor will sign off on what is needed. Then you get your app into Burning Man and make it happen!
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:55 am

Has to be done by July 31st. I think you'd be lucky to get the (state) dmv to work that fast.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Jax Dee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:29 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Has to be done by July 31st. I think you'd be lucky to get the (state) dmv to work that fast.

Actually prolly harder to get the doc appt in time. My dmv placard I got the same day I went in the dmv. In and out in 30 minutes.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby ConnieH » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:31 am

I had a friend who broke her ankle the week before the burn, couldn't put any weight on it - her boyfriend rigged a yard cart to his bike and hauled her around most of the time ;-) He also fashioned a little cart from a padded wheeled stool that she could put her knee on and push with her other foot - I think it was one of those mechanic stools - this was much easier for her than crutches. It was tricky for her getting around, but it certainly didn't ruin her burn. Good luck...and you're still 30 days out, maybe it'll heal enough for a walking cast by then.
ConnieH

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:36 am

There is a whole very knowledgeable crew on these boards who are experts about motorized wheelchairs and that sort of thing including the ins and outs with playa DMV which may have some flex under various disability laws. The participant on these boards Powerchair also runs the alterabled camp on the center ring which many people participate in, and does alterabled mutant vehicle charging. An electric wheelchair, freely available on craigslist, makes a great MV base, and a good donation after your burn to the Department of Mobility. I have seen a really nice chair powered MV for 2, one sitting and one standing, chariot style, shaped like a turtle.

Best regards to Big Dale and Linda who started that playa service but are now retired. Cool peeps to chat with if you meet them on playa. Many stories that illustrate the very best BM can be!

Of course, depending on the injury. you could be much better in a month!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby rubymermaid » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks for all the advice fellow burners.

Unfortunately I will not be able to afford any type of motorized anything or able to transport it to the burn. I have been on my foot for the past ten days since I injured it and just now found out it was fractured. It doesn't even hurt, just still swollen and apparently fractured.

I got my handicap placard today. I am getting some help from a co-campmate in registering their vehicle since I don't have anything for the playa.

I have my appointment later. I will find out more then...
rubymermaid

Postby StaceyS » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:02 pm

I fractured 2 toes about 3 weeks ago. Not much you can do about fractured toes, and a much simpler break than breaking your foot. (way to go, btw... :roll: )

At this point, they are still pretty sensitive, but doing ok. You may be healed enough for it to be an annoyance and something you'll need to be careful of, but think of the playa cred! Broken foot and still managed to make it! Catch a ride across the city on an art car, then tell the bartender you hobbled all the way from your camp for a free drink! Decorate your crutches with EL wire. Stick LEDs on your cast.

Good luck!
StaceyS

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:10 pm

I'm seeing more of these around... wonder if something like this would work on playa.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby rubymermaid » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 am

Thank you for all the responses. I got a pre approval for a handicap pass from the DMV. I am thankfully using a car that has been used as a handicap vehicle for the past two years (a fellow campmate was battling cancer) so I think it will pass inspection again.

You get accustomed to crutches faster than one would think, but it makes time go slow. Heal please body. You have 3 weeks till playa time! I will report on my experiences after the Burn.
rubymermaid

Postby Savannah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Nice work!

I'll bet you'll find a receptive audience for your Afterburn report. :)
Savannah

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Driving on the playa is extremely difficult, so be prepared for that.
I can give you more advice if you need it.
Remember that you can't drink.
Someone can drive you, as long as you're with them.

Speed limit is 5 mph or LESS.
No dust.
Expect less, except when on the open playa.
You will be the slowest thing on the road.

I suggest lighting the sides of the vehicle, if possible.

Remember to adapt to normal speed when you return to the highway.

Take enough gas.
gyre

Postby rubymermaid » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:36 pm

I have returned from spending Burning Man 2011 on a recovering fractured ankle!

I have to say my ankle did not hinder me as much as I thought it would. I did get a handicap pass but I only used the handicap vehicle once to say goodbye to a friend on Sunday.

I was able to climb the man, ascend the temple and pretty much get on anything I wanted. Therefore, I don't believe I can give an accurate account of attending Burning Man in a handicap state. I know people do this regularly so I hope if anyone has questions they will be of more help.

I am missing home terribly. Already counting down the weeks until next year.
rubymermaid

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:53 pm

I love hearing the results of such ventures. I'm glad it barely held you back. :)
Savannah

Postby gyre » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Glad it went so well.
gyre

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks