Solo or not solo, NY virgin burner needs advice

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Solo or not solo, NY virgin burner needs advice

Postby Charlienyc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Hello fellow burners. This is my first burn. I never felt like I was ready for BM for all these years. But now I am ready mentally finally. Very excited to experience this.

I just been told by my friends that their camp is completely closed. I can't join them (founder is very strict about the capacity). Since they have duties for preparation the week before, now all the sudden I am all on my own from transportation to camping (can't really camp next to them). I might have to go solo. But since this my first time, it's quite a daunting task to have everything ready. And learning from the veterans would be a great thing for me as well. Should I join a camp? Still have enough time? I would like to come up with a game plan this week to move forward. I have read a lot on this forum. I am sure any way is a good way but I am sure there are better way for the solo virgins. Any more advice is always welcome.

Thanks!!!
Charlie
Charlienyc

Re: Solo or not solo, NY virgin burner needs advice

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Hello, and welcome to the ePlaya! There are several camps out there that are still taking new members that you could throw in with, or you could camp on your own. I'm going to move this message over to the Q&A board (so more folks who might be able to help can see it), but also take a look at the 2011 Theme Camps board to get an idea of some of the theme camps that may also be around. Hope that helps, and good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby phil » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Going alone is not an issue. Drive up to some likely looking spot that seems propitious to you based on whim alone. Ask around if you can camp there (someone might have some objection based on some whim), ask neighbors if they'll be noisy, plop down, ask for help if necessary, offer help if you want, and you'll be there.

Check this page: http://www.cieux.com/bm/things.html for things you'll need that you don't know about. Read the BMOrg guide for newbies here: http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/ (including the links in the menu to the right). You'll be fine.

If you ever need help, just ask and it shall be given. Go solo, and we'll see you next year, too.
phil

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:04 pm

All good advice.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby caught a glimpse » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:48 am

All good advice indeed, I too am a Virgin Burner from NYC, and tonight (and all the Wednesday nights till we gather on the Playa) there is a NYC Burner's Happy Hour at a bar called "Revival" its near Union Sq (on East 15th between Irving and 3rd). Good people show up, they've all been extremely helpful, and it's the added bonus that a good deal of them are part of the NY Based Camp Whiskey and Whores. But even if you don't feel it's the place for you, they are good people to talk to.
caught a glimpse

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Tangoed up in Blues

Postby Charlienyc » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks for all the advices!!

Whishky and Whores...two of the most important factors to propel the mankind! :) If I get off work early, I will swing by the happy hour.

My two trains of thoughts are either go solo so that I just float around to get more experience with different camps for future reference, or I join one be more deeply involved with. It's my first time. So I really don't know. It's just theory at this point
Charlienyc

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 am

Hi Charlie. If you can stake down a tent and shade structure really well, you can camp solo (and will have neighbors immediately). I'm a big advocate of being accountable only to yourself your first time out.

It's hard to know what kind of challenges you're facing in terms of set-up or transport or whathaveyou, so if you want to be more specific about what concerns you, we might be better able to make recommendations. My favorite way of searching eplaya for advice is to cheat and use Google, with keywords like:

food eplaya
rebar eplaya
contact lenses eplaya

As of yesterday there were still camps in the 2011 Theme Camps forum that were looking for members. Look at their websites (many have links where you can read about them, including their concept, their fees, and how much work vs. play there is) and then write a nice email or PM explaining what you have to offer and why their camp appeals.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby melodiousdirge » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm going solo... this is my first burn.

A valid question at this point though is: do you have a ticket?
We wouldn't want to alarm the flock, they might start asking questions.
melodiousdirge

Burning Since: 2011

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Welcome to the great experiment in temporary neighborhood.

One thing that is too little stated is how valued first timers are. The standard online line is encouraging preparedness and self sufficiency in a fierce tone loud enough to scare off a T-Rex, but in person it's different. BM is too large for any individual to experience everything. So much of our experience comes from stories from people in our camps and friends after. Sitting around dinner, the bar, breakfast and hearing "This happened to me...". The first timer stories are a vibrant way to experience the fantastic thing we weren't personally at, through the eyes we once had as first timers.

It's an even exchange, with a camp, you can have suggestions and a premade team for setting out on playa adventures.

I would get on your regional board and ask about burner parties and fundraisers. Then ask in person if camps need participants. You could also send email to ? volunteer at burningman.com? Please correct that email, those in the know, about volunteer positions accepting virgins that have camps, or camp spots. Extra points for useful skills you probably have.

If you don't find a camp, spot out larger villages that you feel commonality with and see if you can find a solo spot nearby. You may get adopted and end up moving your tent sometime in the week, or just hanging in their shared space as a virtual camp member.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Charlienyc » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:54 pm

After reading all the advices and meeting a few peeps, I decided to join a camp. A bit easier for me so that I don't stress about the survival necessities. I can't wait!!! Thanks for all your helps!!
Charlienyc

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks