Greetings from Las Vegas

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Greetings from Las Vegas

Postby VegasBella » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Hello All,

I will be attending my second year (Gosh Im as excited as a school girl) and I have a few questions please. My boyfriend who drives the fabulours Soul Train suggested I start here. We will be at Esplanade and 7:30 this year at Black Rock Roller Disco so come on by..Anyways the reason I am here is because I love burning man and because I need help. I need to know the best suggestion on proper eye wear for the playa. Last year I had a horrible time with allergies and spend alot of time inddors because my eyewear didnt fit well and I suffered alot. I need something snug against my eyes to work during the whote outs. I have a good painters mask I will be wearing but need good eye wear. Please suggest wear I should go please. Thanks to all.
Signed
Tired of spending time in the Med Tent
VegasBella

Re: Greetings from Las Vegas

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:38 pm

VegasBella wrote:Hello All,

I will be attending my second year (Gosh Im as excited as a school girl) and I have a few questions please. My boyfriend who drives the fabulours Soul Train suggested I start here. We will be at Esplanade and 7:30 this year at Black Rock Roller Disco so come on by..Anyways the reason I am here is because I love burning man and because I need help. I need to know the best suggestion on proper eye wear for the playa. Last year I had a horrible time with allergies and spend alot of time inddors because my eyewear didnt fit well and I suffered alot. I need something snug against my eyes to work during the whote outs. I have a good painters mask I will be wearing but need good eye wear. Please suggest wear I should go please. Thanks to all.
Signed
Tired of spending time in the Med Tent

Hey VegasBella, Welcome to the board.

Some of the best dust goggles are ones designed for soldiers in desert conditions. I googled army surplus vegas and got 10 hits (once I clicked on the red marker on the map it showed me ideas A through J). First two were Mad Man Army Surplus & Hip Hop, and Hahn's World of Surplus, but there are lots more.

It will help to try these suckers on, so shop local if you can. Get a pair of tinted for day, and clear for night.

Mine are very much like these:
http://www.amazon.com/10347-Type-Wind-G ... B002SDCIPM

The foam is comfortable and thick and nothing got past them.

You might want some preservative-free artificial tears (as opposed to redness remover, which you can also bring). Preservative-free tears feel so much better. Thera Tears are my current favorite; I believe Ugly Dougly swears by Systane (also has a Preservative Free variety). You can't keep those drops forever, but they make "single serving" vials (handy gifts) or you can bring 1-2 full sizes, never touch them directly to your eyeball or lashes (or anything) and toss them after a few weeks.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Hey Bella, welcome to Eplaya!

I don't know how much you're willing to throw down on eye wear, so I'll throw out some different ideas that come to mind.
Dougly (I think) uses these Image
Yes, swim goggles. They are tight and fit well, I imagine. But I don't know if they would get really foggy.

Here is my next idea, if cost isn't a big issue
There are some really cool looking ones on the market! But, they are expensive.
Though, think of the possibilities. You could decorate the out side with lights, or on the bottom half of the lens you could draw some sorta funny face. There are cheaper ones on ebay.
I think this one looks really cool! http://cgi.ebay.com/MSA-Advantage-3000-Full-Face-Respirator-/120753956845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1d7f27ed

These aviator goggles SUCK! They don't breath at all, fog up instantly.

But now its time for me to tell you to go check out the Q&A forum because there are a ton of threads all about goggles.
Last edited by illy dilly on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Hello and welcome! I'm going to move this thread over to the Q&A tips and tricks section, since it may be more appropriate for your questions :)

For eyewear, there are a couple suggestions I'd make. First is military surplus - goggles for soldiers are readily available and fairly cheap, plus you could have fun decorating them if you want. They're large enough that you can wear them over any prescription glasses (if you wear them), and they do a good job keeping dust out. Where motorcycle and snowboarder goggles can leave you wanting is that they're usually ventilated, and those tiny vent-holes are what lets in that pesky playa dust that causes all the problems for you.

You may also care to look for Refresh (or similar brand) eyedrops. They're not medicated, just a refreshing saline eyedrop that works to help moisturize dry eyes or flush out any irritants. My girlfriend first discovered them when she got laser eye surgery a couple years ago, not only were they helpful for her speedy recovery but she's sworn by them ever since. Hope that helps!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Triple concurrent post! Damn were good!
The point still goes to Savannah
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby danibel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:12 pm

I have a pair of birdz googles that I bought new off a burner two years ago. They have 3 different lenses that snap in and out, clear, grey, and yellow. They came with arms to be sunglasses or a strap (which I prefer). This may be their last year because I noticed the foam is wearing out, but they have lasted through two burns, so it was worth $20. Any dust goggles should work. Try a motocross store if you want to check them out in person.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby phil » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:55 pm

May I ask what it's for? There may be workarounds.
phil

Postby VegasBella » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 pm

Thanks everybody, youve all given me some excellent suggestions to start with. Im gonna try the Army Surplus first and go from there. See you all soon on the playa.
VegasBella

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks