Stowaways!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Stowaways!

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:12 am

My experiences with BRCPO deliveries have been awesome.

A couple times, we brought postcards with stamps out to the playa and sent them out to a few folks from the playa (they can get mail out to the default world)! Have stamps, and have postcards (and if possible a few extra to share with campmates/friends).

A couple other times, we were on the receiving end. Once was a letter from friends at another camp, a couple other times were letters and parcels from the default world. All the deliveries had our approximate camp location from placement as well as the camp name. The BRCPO carrier arrived in the neighborhood, and started asking around.

If only the default world post office was as good as BRCPO :)
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:18 am

Savannah wrote:Are delivery people looking for specific addresses, or are they distributing on the fly? If the latter, even better. :)


BRCPO has specific addresses/ camps things need to be delivered to.

BRC Weekly generally just asks where your going to see if that's okay. I.e.: we never need papers delivered to Center Camp, rarely to the camps around us. The plaza's generally get hit at least once during the week. However, if you want to take papers to somewhere like 8:00 & H or J or anywhere along the back streets where most likely none have gone, we'll love you!

Our paper people get gifts, booze, meet new people... It's a great way for newbies to break the ice & learn how to go into camps and get used to talking to strangers.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8214
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Stowaways!

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:31 am

Savannah wrote: I hope you accept only a commitment only to your own enjoyment, safety and exploration. :)


Hey shouldn't that be "enjoyment, exploration and safety (third)" ??? :wink:

Count me committed... 8)

And you know Yggy, I work hard around here not to flash my thonged butt in these short skirts... but I don't have to worry about that in BRC, eh? Yay!!!

:D :D :D
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
User avatar
MyDearFriend
 
Posts: 3435
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Location: Washington, DC
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Re: Stowaways!

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:02 am

Savannah wrote:Are delivery people looking for specific addresses, or are they distributing on the fly? If the latter, even better. :)


One might assume, especially on the 9:00 side, "delivering in the fly"...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27044
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:52 am

Savannah wrote:
tamarakay wrote:This does make me want to work gate. Or perimeter. But there is SO MUCH i want to do and i've been sitting on my hands cause everyone keeps telling me my virgin year I should just show up and enjoy, and check out and see what I would really enjoy for volunteering my sophomore year. Still true?


I hope you wait 'til next year. You really need time to acclimate. And indeed, so much else you want to do. (It is a popular piece of advice for a reason.) You can always do Lamplighters on a walk-up basis once you're there (reporting several hours before sunset), or Postal Delivery on a whim if you're feeling like it's right at the time (orientations twice a day; google BRCIPO).

The idea of someone working too much during their first burn gives me the cold chills. I hope you accept only a commitment only to your own enjoyment, safety and exploration. :)


<chuckling> I worked 30+ hours for Gate my first year. And it hasn't gone down since...lol

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:22 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Minxy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:56 am

Eric wrote:If you want super simple, BRC Weekly is always looking for delivery people- esp. people who want to hit the 9:00 side and the backstreets. Great way to meet people.


This sounds really fun, actually. 8)
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
User avatar
Minxy
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Minxy wrote:
Eric wrote:If you want super simple, BRC Weekly is always looking for delivery people- esp. people who want to hit the 9:00 side and the backstreets. Great way to meet people.


This sounds really fun, actually. 8)


The paper offices are at the Slow Burn lounge in Fandango, right about Esplanade & 4. Just come by, say hello & grab a stack. Hell, I might even be bartending (though I'm more likely to be drinking...)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8214
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Minxy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Eric wrote:The paper offices are at the Slow Burn lounge in Fandango, right about Esplanade & 4. Just come by, say hello & grab a stack. Hell, I might even be bartending (though I'm more likely to be drinking...)


I will. =) I'll be riding all over the city this year to visit very spread out groups of friends so delivering papers at the same time sounds perfect. I love multi-tasking! :D
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
User avatar
Minxy
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Stowaways!

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm not going this year, but this policy addresses the exact situation where I was riding with a not close but generous friend who was contrabanding their SO in. I didn't know the plan until a little before the gate. Suggest this policy needs to be much (much) more widely broadcast, publicizing a whole series of sample questions/ dialogs that need to occur between drivers and riders very early on. We want green carpooling but not a red recrimination bath, which would be harmful to the community.

Found stowaways statistics would be cool.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
User avatar
some seeing eye
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Location: The Oregon
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Mojojita » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:11 pm

I would love to see some found stowaway stories!!!!!
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
User avatar
Mojojita
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 am
Location: Under your bed

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Smenkare » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:17 pm

some seeing eye wrote:I'm not going this year, but this policy addresses the exact situation where I was riding with a not close but generous friend who was contrabanding their SO in. I didn't know the plan until a little before the gate. Suggest this policy needs to be much (much) more widely broadcast, publicizing a whole series of sample questions/ dialogs that need to occur between drivers and riders very early on. We want green carpooling but not a red recrimination bath, which would be harmful to the community.

Found stowaways statistics would be cool.


I read earlier in this thread about a "Tax" being added to the tickets in previous years when they were being sold at the gate. How about this...

All cars caught with stowaways and their additional passengers be detained until well after the majority of the cars have been allowed through the gates (Say like 5pm). That should allow enough time to get a general idea of how many stowaways and people who got counterfit tickers, that need dealing with.

At which point there will be an Entry-Tax collected from the passengers stowaways and forgery-victims for renting a school bus or van to ferry the ticketless and stowaways to say, Reno, where they can catch a flight/bus home.

This way the other people in the cars can still attend Burning Man, they'll get a stiff price penaulty for trying to smuggle someone in, or in the case of a person who got duped by a counterfit ticket, they'll be able to get home without completely spoiling everyone else's trip.


Just a suggestion.
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
User avatar
Smenkare
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: WA
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Mojojita wrote:I would love to see some found stowaway stories!!!!!


Maybe LoR & the other regulars who work Gate can write quick notes so they can share them!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8214
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Stowaways!

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Smenkare wrote:
some seeing eye wrote:I'm not going this year, but this policy addresses the exact situation where I was riding with a not close but generous friend who was contrabanding their SO in. I didn't know the plan until a little before the gate. Suggest this policy needs to be much (much) more widely broadcast, publicizing a whole series of sample questions/ dialogs that need to occur between drivers and riders very early on. We want green carpooling but not a red recrimination bath, which would be harmful to the community.

Found stowaways statistics would be cool.


I read earlier in this thread about a "Tax" being added to the tickets in previous years when they were being sold at the gate. How about this...

All cars caught with stowaways and their additional passengers be detained until well after the majority of the cars have been allowed through the gates (Say like 5pm). That should allow enough time to get a general idea of how many stowaways and people who got counterfit tickers, that need dealing with.

At which point there will be an Entry-Tax collected from the passengers stowaways and forgery-victims for renting a school bus or van to ferry the ticketless and stowaways to say, Reno, where they can catch a flight/bus home.

This way the other people in the cars can still attend Burning Man, they'll get a stiff price penaulty for trying to smuggle someone in, or in the case of a person who got duped by a counterfit ticket, they'll be able to get home without completely spoiling everyone else's trip.


Just a suggestion.



I don't think people with the intent to break one of the few rule of BM, rate any break at all.. They have already made up there mind to do the wrong thing before getting to the gate.. This might not be the type of people that I would care to have around my camp.. Cheating on a ticket,, That's theft.. Then whats next?? I think "given an inch they will take a mile" rule fit s right here..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 9998
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Smenkare » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:13 pm

Perhaps, but expulsion should be at the discression of the gate guards, because someone could innocently be riding along in a car with their camp mates and be in Gerlach before they realize that one of their campmates is trying to sneek their Partner in under the radar.

Plus there is the issue of counterfit tickets. Whether innocently, or not so innocently, there are probably going to be people showing up with counterfit tickets, are the cars they're in to be treated the same way as people harbouring a stowaway? And so what if you can't spot a counterfit ticket?--they're designed to fool people, so even if everyone asked to see a passenger's ticket before they got in the car, there is still the risk of ferrying someone to the gates of BRC with a phoney ticket.

Certainly confiscating tickets and turning whole car-loads of people away from the gate is a good option, but why does it have to be the only option?
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
User avatar
Smenkare
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: WA
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Stowaways!

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Smenkare wrote:Perhaps, but expulsion should be at the discression of the gate guards, because someone could innocently be riding along in a car with their camp mates and be in Gerlach before they realize that one of their campmates is trying to sneek their Partner in under the radar.

Plus there is the issue of counterfit tickets. Whether innocently, or not so innocently, there are probably going to be people showing up with counterfit tickets, are the cars they're in to be treated the same way as people harbouring a stowaway? And so what if you can't spot a counterfit ticket?--they're designed to fool people, so even if everyone asked to see a passenger's ticket before they got in the car, there is still the risk of ferrying someone to the gates of BRC with a phoney ticket.

Certainly confiscating tickets and turning whole car-loads of people away from the gate is a good option, but why does it have to be the only option?


First of all, I do not travel with people I don't know.. If i did a ride share say from Reno to BM.. I think I would ask the person to walk the gate and i would pick them up after the gate.. If I do a ride share from home i will know the person for a few months before taking them.. If all my efforts would fail me and was turned around at the gate.. The fucker that did me would be laying in the dust for a long time.. I can put some hurt on persons that fuck over me.. Other from that I'm a pretty nice guy..

Just another warning to all that you should pass all the tickets in your ride through your hand.. Carry a nice zapper just in case you need to put some one in the dirt, So you kick the shit out of 'em..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 9998
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Stowaways!

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Smenkare wrote:I read earlier in this thread about a "Tax" being added to the tickets in previous years when they were being sold at the gate. How about this...

All cars caught with stowaways and their additional passengers be detained until well after the majority of the cars have been allowed through the gates (Say like 5pm). That should allow enough time to get a general idea of how many stowaways and people who got counterfit tickers, that need dealing with.

At which point there will be an Entry-Tax collected from the passengers stowaways and forgery-victims for renting a school bus or van to ferry the ticketless and stowaways to say, Reno, where they can catch a flight/bus home.

This way the other people in the cars can still attend Burning Man, they'll get a stiff price penaulty for trying to smuggle someone in, or in the case of a person who got duped by a counterfit ticket, they'll be able to get home without completely spoiling everyone else's trip.


Just a suggestion.

And just why should Gate go through all that extra work to help out those that were breaking the law? (tresspassing)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
User avatar
capjbadger
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Horus' Left Armpit
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Smenkare » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:14 pm

1) Tickets being picked up at will-call can't be passed through passenger's hands at the start of the trip.

2) Otherwise congenial sorts "Putting the hurt on someone" is exactly a scenario that could happen if whole car-loads of people are having their tickets confiscated and turned away from the gate because of one or two jerks. And though it's human nature to think that everyone in the world thinks the same way and that no-one would ever take a relative stranger to burning man to defer the cost of gas or pick up a really cute hitch-hiker in a skimpy day-glow fur bikini and bedazzled booty shorts, out of 40+ thousand people the odds are it's going to happen.

3) The question then becomes, at how high a rate and how then to deal with the fall-out.

Theft is a crime, and tresspassing is a crime, so is stun-gunning someone and beating them senless.
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
User avatar
Smenkare
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: WA
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Will Call tickets can't be shown, but confirmation numbers and IDs can be shown at the start of a shared journey, and should be.

My ticket is Will Call, and I'll be darn sure to prove to my rideshare that I can pick it up.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11193
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Savannah wrote:Will Call tickets can't be shown, but confirmation numbers and IDs can be shown at the start of a shared journey, and should be.

My ticket is Will Call, and I'll be darn sure to prove to my rideshare that I can pick it up.


If I may add with the last 4 digits of the confirmation number and the name the will call ticket can be verified with BMorg.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Smenkare » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:32 pm

[quote="Savannah"] Will Call tickets can't be shown, but confirmation numbers and IDs can be shown at the start of a shared journey, and should be.

My ticket is Will Call, and I'll be darn sure to prove to my rideshare that I can pick it up. [/quote]

Interesting...Is that for credit card/Online purchases as well as mail-ordered will-call tickets? I have 2 confirmation emails, but no mention of any confirmation number on either, and I paid for mine using a money order and requested to have it held at will-call, both emails just say to bring Photo ID.
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
User avatar
Smenkare
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: WA
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:36 pm

My confirmation of Will Call in '10 had the confirmation # in the subject as well as the first lime of the email. YMMV
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Re: Stowaways!

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Smenkare wrote:Theft is a crime, and tresspassing is a crime, so is stun-gunning someone and beating them senless.

I suggested nothing of the sort.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
User avatar
capjbadger
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Horus' Left Armpit
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Smenkare wrote:
Savannah wrote: Will Call tickets can't be shown, but confirmation numbers and IDs can be shown at the start of a shared journey, and should be.

My ticket is Will Call, and I'll be darn sure to prove to my rideshare that I can pick it up.


Interesting...Is that for credit card/Online purchases as well as mail-ordered will-call tickets? I have 2 confirmation emails, but no mention of any confirmation number on either, and I paid for mine using a money order and requested to have it held at will-call, both emails just say to bring Photo ID.


Ah, you ordered via mail order. Good distinction. PRINT THE EMAIL. You don't get a confirmation number. From the ticket FAQ:
http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#confirm

Do I need my confirmation number to pick up my tickets at Will Call?
For online orders, your confirmation number ensures that your ticket order was processed correctly. If you do not bring your confirmation number and for some reason we cannot locate your order on the will call list, you will have to purchase new tickets. Be prepared, bring a printed copy of your confirmation number from the online ordering page. (If you ordered your tickets through mail order, you will receive a confirmation email but not a confirmation number. Print that email and bring it with you. As always, you MUST have a valid ID to pick up your tickets at will call.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11193
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Smenkare » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Thank you savannah! I was starting to get queasy!
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
User avatar
Smenkare
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: WA
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Packoderm » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Maybe they should just put some x-ray scanners at the entry gate like the Mexican govt. does at the Mexican/Guatemalan border.

Image
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
User avatar
Packoderm
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Sacramento

Re: Stowaways!

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:45 am

Mojojita wrote:I would love to see some found stowaway stories!!!!!


The folks with the best stories are busily preparing to go live out in the desert for the next month so they can build the city infrastructure :)
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Stowaways!

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:<chuckling> I worked 30+ hours for Gate my first year. And it hasn't gone down since...lol

LoR


I'm so excited about all of it, I just signed up for another rider shift bringing me up to 30 hours this year. :lol:

I am hoping for mad entertainment.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
User avatar
CapSmashy
 
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Awesome Camp 2.0
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Minxy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:12 am

Wow, 30 hours is a LOT.

I'm quite excited about working perimeter, though, I must say. :P And I want to check out lighthouse, too. :D
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
User avatar
Minxy
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Stowaways!

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:10 am

Packoderm wrote:
Image



This is exactly what I'm envisioning.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5812
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Your mom's tent
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Stowaways!

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:41 am

I think I used to date the guy in the middle.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17545
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Keldin and 3 guests