Stowaways!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Stowaways!

Postby skyhawkecks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:51 am

gyre wrote:What gate doesn't want to have to tell you about stowaways that bake too well in the heat.

And why they tell you not to do it.

I'm just confused as to why anyone would try to stowaway during the day...

Are people at gate really not allowed to disclose how many vehicles were turned away or how many stowaways were found? Like I said earlier, you'd think that would be a great deterrent.
skyhawkecks

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Rice » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:40 am

skyhawkecks wrote:
gyre wrote:What gate doesn't want to have to tell you about stowaways that bake too well in the heat.

Are people at gate really not allowed to disclose how many vehicles were turned away or how many stowaways were found? Like I said earlier, you'd think that would be a great deterrent.

That information is not made public.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 am

After my years as an ESD widow, I get why there are things that are not revealed. Sometimes, I think that they could be looser with some of the information, but it's hard to make a solid judgement in a vacuum.

And I"m pretty sure that that discovery of a body wasn't someone being smuggled, into the event or anywhere else, but a murder.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 am

Is'nt that what you do when you find someone rideing with you that does'nt have a ticket?

Murder them and store them in the trunk for meat? 8)

That way they are'nt a stowaway!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:54 am

Just remember to cook him the first day or so, and don't let that blood hit the playa.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Canoe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:04 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Just remember to cook him the first day or so, and don't let that blood hit the playa.

Just leave in the trunk with the vehicle in the sun.

Also works for disassembling violins, cellos, etc.. intended or not.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby skyhawkecks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:15 am

stretch80 wrote:
skyhawkecks wrote:

I think it's because people are actually able to sneak in with ease.
skyhawkecks

Postby ygmir » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:28 am

skyhawkecks wrote:
stretch80 wrote:
skyhawkecks wrote:

I think it's because people are actually able to sneak in with ease.

yeah, I wonder how they manage to sneak in, anyway? With those perimeter and gate folks and all.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:30 am

I suspect there aren't that many stories of failure because not that many people would want to brag about not only being that dumb, but getting caught and screwing their ride over in the process.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Major Krash » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:51 pm

A few years ago (2008 or 2010) a compact car in front of me got busted. A woman in her 20's drove up "alone", then got out and danced around, rolled in the playa, etc. But the Gate folks opened the trunk, removed a bunch of stuff, and Woops! Another woman in her 20's....

Looked like a major bummer for both of them (but it speeded up my ingress, so.....)
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby ygmir » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:15 pm

trilobyte wrote:I suspect there aren't that many stories of failure because not that many people would want to brag about not only being that dumb, but getting caught and screwing their ride over in the process.

yeah, I can't imagine anyone, or very many anyway, actually making it in past all the security.
Those folks sound mean and clever.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby skyhawkecks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:57 pm

trilobyte wrote:I suspect there aren't that many stories of failure because not that many people would want to brag about not only being that dumb, but getting caught and screwing their ride over in the process.

It doesn't have to be from the stowaways or the ones hiding them. I'm asking where the hell are the witnesses to such events?
skyhawkecks

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:11 pm

One could ask the same question about success stories.

I know for a fact that people get busted every year, but details and numbers are not a matter of public record.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:15 pm

There was a success a few years ago, but that's the only one I've heard of. Fellow had a ticket and went and got it torn afterwards, in it for the challenge, not the saving of money.

Unless that was just another urban legend. Which may be why no one repeats these stories.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby skyhawkecks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:06 pm

trilobyte wrote:One could ask the same question about success stories.

I know for a fact that people get busted every year, but details and numbers are not a matter of public record.

It should be fairly obvious why success stories aren't posted.
skyhawkecks

Postby C187 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:22 pm

skyhawkecks wrote:It doesn't have to be from the stowaways or the ones hiding them. I'm asking where the hell are the witnesses to such events?

...um...
ygmir wrote:yeah, I wonder how they manage to sneak in, anyway? With those perimeter and gate folks and all.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:40 pm

A few years ago someone working gate told me they catch a lot more people than you would expect to try it.
No numbers to compare though.

I would expect numbers to be down with the new "everybody cries" policy for the entire vehicle, in spite of ticket rarity.
I have no statistics though.

I do know of a case years ago where the blm caught a vehicle trying for perimeter.
High dollar everything, so they confiscated all property and vehicle and took them all to jail.

So there's your worst case scenario, presuming survival of the smuggling attempt.
gyre

Postby Elliot » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:59 pm

All this discussion seems to pertain to someone trying to smuggle a buddy in. But "stowaway" actually means someone sneaking aboard a vehicle without the operator's knowledge. With 65 feet of vehicle, someone might slip aboard in Reno and not be detected by us -- maybe on the trailer. Wonder how that would play out? Did I mention my idea of a written passenger manifest?
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Technicians needed! Naked or otherwise. Fix flats only? You're in!

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:02 pm

This was asked by someone, and the answer was guilt would be presumed.
gyre

Postby LegendZero » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:54 pm

This thread made made me wonder what would happen if you tried to sneak in WITH a ticket. Like what would happen if a person with ticket in hand walked in across the playa and exclusion zone?
LegendZero

Postby Canoe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:14 pm

LegendZero wrote:This thread made made me wonder what would happen if you tried to sneak in WITH a ticket. Like what would happen if a person with ticket in hand walked in across the playa and exclusion zone?

I think you'd discover what exclusion zone is.
The ticket allows you passage along the approved routes, be it to gate or airport.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Elliot » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:38 am

gyre wrote:This was asked by someone, and the answer was guilt would be presumed.

I'll be doing a search of my own rig just before we get to Gate.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Technicians needed! Naked or otherwise. Fix flats only? You're in!

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby ygmir » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:55 am

Elliot wrote:
gyre wrote:This was asked by someone, and the answer was guilt would be presumed.

I'll be doing a search of my own rig just before we get to Gate.

probably a good idea.
as I understand it, if a stow away is found, all are turned away in the vehicle.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Rice » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:02 pm

LegendZero wrote:This thread made made me wonder what would happen if you tried to sneak in WITH a ticket. Like what would happen if a person with ticket in hand walked in across the playa and exclusion zone?

If you are in the exclusion zone without being authorized to be there, you are trespassing. Which, since it is on federal land is a federal offence.

You would encounter either a perimeter patrol or BLM ranger. Your experience would be dictated by attitude and situation.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Yep. And what I think a few folks fail to realize is that the Bureau of Land Management is not part of Burning Man like Perimeter is. BLM is a government agency. You can't predict which entity will intercept you. Neither choice is good, but I'd wager the complications are worse if the BLM picks you up.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Savannah wrote:Yep. And what I think a few folks fail to realize is that the Bureau of Land Management is not part of Burning Man like Perimeter is. BLM is a government agency. You can't predict which entity will intercept you. Neither choice is good, but I'd wager the complications are worse if the BLM picks you up.

This is a point people miss: you WANT BM Perimeter folks to catch you instead. Just like the Rangers are a buffer between participants and LEO INSIDE the city, so the Perimeter folks are from the BLM OUTSIDE the city.

If you're a dick to Perimeter, we just toss you via rado to the BLM to have an expensive chat to them. By being in the exclusion zone at all you've already broken the law. Stupid ticket to get if you ask me...but people do each year.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:40 pm

A lot of burners like to challenge law and the authorities, even on things that seem not worth the bother to some of the rest of us, and to a lot of people outside the community. I tend to slice things through an ESD perspective, cause that's where I volunteered. Other volunteers are likely to see it through their departments...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Mojojita » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:40 pm

I am a big fan of Gate/Perimeter/Exodus volunteers and staff. They work incredibly hard outside in the blowing dust (all those moving vehicles create a LOT of dust, constantly). It just is not cute to have someone saunter up and say "I made it past you, ha ha, here is my ticket." I remember the story of the naked girl hiding in the RV bathroom with her ticket in her teeth for the person searching to find - cute thought until you remember that the driver had already been asked how many people were on board, etc..... It just makes the wait in line longer for the rest of you.

I was at a music festival last weekend and was approached by a young man who made the mistake of saying to me that he wanted to try to sneak in to Burning Man. It is a shit for brains mentality that is far more tolerated by people who go to "consumer friendly" events. He got my "you have shit for brains don't fucking steal from me you ****" lecture.

Anyway, I think the reason that Gate and Perimeter does not pass on the stories of stowaways is that they really don't want to give any signal that it is interesting or worthy of 10 seconds of fame. Stupidity is easily encouraged - like the last words of a redneck, "hold my beer and watch this".
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:58 pm

I'm pretty sure I know the reason.
gyre

Postby Mojojita » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Ah Grasshopper, there is seldom just one Truth.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks