Sneaking into Burning Man

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Sneaking into Burning Man

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:41 am

That's a great analogy Sham!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby DustHand » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:46 am

Shamala, an excellent analogy, IMHO. I am certain someone will come along and attempt to tear it to shreds, but that is what makes the ePlaya so much fun! :P
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Postby International Incident » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 am

Love it shambala!
Well given tix are sold out- waiting to hear some tragic tales of woe when I'm working gate!
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:26 am

Where's my like button?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sham » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:54 am

Thanks all. I think I'll just bump it over to page 4 because I can! :D
Shambala wrote:I have read most of this thread (at least the type large enough for me to see :roll: ) and I want to offer this analogy if I could:

I think Costco charges too much money for their 42" Visio LCD televisions. I've seen the financials and the executives make too much money as far as I'm concerned. Instead of me not buying one and paying their price, I decided that I want to steal one of those $350 television sets. They have plenty money, and I feel I am justified to take one if I want. I know it costs them a lots of money to run those warehouses and they have to pay for the inventory, but I REALLY want one.
I could have bought it on sale a few months back for $250, but I wasn't sure I wanted one and I didn't have the money at the time, and besides, I'm poor, so why should just the people with money have one of those?
I'm gonna steal one now and act surprised and entitled if I get caught. I just love when I can act righteously indignant, even when I'm in the wrong!
Sham

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:27 am

I think I need to steal this for my FB page.
AntiM

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:13 am

That is really perfect Shambala.

I think I need to steal AntiM's new sig for my blog's tagline or something.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:31 am

Steal away, I stole it from a friend who stole it elsewhere.
AntiM

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:51 am

melaniejane wrote:Love it shambala!
Well given tix are sold out- waiting to hear some tragic tales of woe when I'm working gate!

Would you be offended to find me lurking near your tent with an adult beverage when you get off shift? I would love to hear your tales... 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:12 am

I did just want to say...

If you bring a person without a ticket, your whole vehicle can have all their tickets voided and no one will be allowed to enter the event, even IF you take the stowaway back to Reno. That's right, if you participate in trying to sneak someone in this year, you very well may not be allowed to enter the event.

The event is sold out. Please ONLY bring ticketed participants. Do not hope that someone will let you in because you've "been going for 15 years," "know so and so," or any other reason.

Remember that sneaking someone in really goes against the spirit of the burn. It is not ok to mooch from the city...radical self-reliance. If you don't have a ticket, save your pennies and go next year.

PLEASE be aware when getting your ride share together, to make sure that everyone in your vehicle DOES have a ticket.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby The CO » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:57 am

mode-of-operation wrote:Wow! Apparently, according to you, Buringman is a business!

It is a business. You can't run an event this large by the seat of your pants.

(the following comments are not aimed for specific people...Yet)

OregonRed & I run an event in June. It's a camping trip with theme camps & no commerce. We charge just enough to cover our costs. We had about 100 people this year. Due to costs, we raised ticket prices by $5, from $30 to $35.

Cost Breakdown:
Property Rental: $1350
Toilet Rental: $560
Administrative: $299.48
Infrastructure: $464.66

The Money:
Income: $2709
Expenses: $2674.14
Net income: $34.86

Our profit was not even the price of one ticket. And I had plenty of people that wanted to bitch about prices and how the event should be free & we were money-grubbers.

In case anyone out there can't do math, I will scale that up for you. These are not numbers from the Borg, just a little exercise in costs.
100 people vs 50000
Income: $2709 becomes $1,354,500
Expenses: $2674.14 becomes $1,337,070
Profit: $34.86 becomes $17,430

So based on my little event, we could potentially make enough profit to pay one person a poverty level salary.

The Burn is much bigger. Costs go up as size does. Read these:
http://afterburn.burningman.com/10/org/ ... cture.html
http://afterburn.burningman.com/10/financial_chart.html

As I seem to say every year;

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DON'T BUY A TICKET.
GO CREATE YOUR OWN EVENT.
FUCK OFF HIPPIE.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:04 am

So do you have a flat-screen TV you want to gift me?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby International Incident » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:59 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
melaniejane wrote:Love it shambala!

Would you be offended to find me lurking near your tent with an adult beverage when you get off shift? I would love to hear your tales... 8)

Of course MDF! I shall be happy to share my tales - a beer would make it all the more fun :)
International Incident

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:05 pm

I want in!

I can offer you an invisible seven course raw food feast.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby International Incident » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Savannah wrote:I want in!

As long as you massage my chakra (sp?) and spin some lucious tunes you can hear all my tales...

Actually is anyone tries either of the above I would probably deck them
International Incident

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:20 pm

melaniejane wrote:
Savannah wrote:I want in!

As long as you massage my chakra (sp?) and spin some lucious tunes you can hear all my tales...

Actually is anyone tries either of the above I would probably deck them

Your shirt awaits your body to bring it to its fullness. I don't know about your chakra, but if anything else needs a massage and I play some rockin' tunes, could I please get a hug instead?
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 pm

Don't listen to these bunch of old burners..

Just throw the extra guy/gal in the trunk and drive right on in.. Screw that buying tickets for everyone.. Burning Man can afford a few freebies..Come on you fucking hippie, what ya got to lose??
unjonharley

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:39 pm

I've just heard from some folks involved with DPW & Gate Staff. This year, if a vehicle is caught with a stowaway on board, the tickets of ALL passengers will be confiscated, and the vehicle will be denied entry, and everyone on board sent home.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby DustHand » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:43 pm

trilobyte wrote:I've just heard from some folks involved with DPW & Gate Staff. This year, if a vehicle is caught with a stowaway on board, the tickets of ALL passengers will be confiscated, and the vehicle will be denied entry, and everyone on board sent home.

Perhaps the confiscated tickets will create a ticket market for the ones who show up with a sob story...

I like the "all punished for one" mentality of this.
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:13 am

Watching the ticket forum and mass hysteria blow up through the day and night yesterday, all I could think of was how crazy gate is going to be this year having to do inspections. I'm visualizing Mexican border style human trafficking with whole burner families stuffed under cars and into couches and mattresses.. coyotes offering smuggling services.. etc.

It's only a half joke. This year will seriously be nuts for this, and if you think that's bad.. just wait until this gets so big that they have to enact lottery style ticket sales a-la Superbowl. Watch.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby Sham » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:58 am

....so what you're saying is, if I go into a bank with 2 friends and one pulls out a gun and robs the bank, I get in trouble too?
I don't think that fair!
Sham

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:01 am

Shambala wrote:....so what you're saying is, if I go into a bank with 2 friends and one pulls out a gun and robs the bank, I get in trouble too?
I don't think that fair!

If you were there and knew what was going on and was an accessory to the fact, it sure as hell is fair.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:08 am

IF you knew...

Here's the fun situation:

You are part of a camp and send a large part of your gear in the camp's main truck. You arrive in your vehicle only to find out that the truck driver tried to sneak someone in and got caught and sent away.
Policy states that you can't even come out and drive the truck in. You are screwed.

Better be DAMN sure the driver of your stuff isn't going to fuck up...

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby DustHand » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:54 am

capjbadger wrote:IF you knew...

Here's the fun situation:

You are part of a camp and send a large part of your gear in the camp's main truck. You arrive in your vehicle only to find out that the truck driver tried to sneak someone in and got caught and sent away.
Policy states that you can't even come out and drive the truck in. You are screwed.

Better be DAMN sure the driver of your stuff isn't going to fuck up...

-Badger

In a word, yep.
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Postby Igneouss » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:50 am

With the current (and growing) ticket madness I guess that there will be record numbers of attempts to sneak in.

This should be interesting to watch.

Make sure that everone in your vehicle has a ticket or things will get ugly for everyone in the car.

One other comment re: 'BM is a business'

A lot of folks are confused by this issue. It's easy to assume that BM is a non-profit/charity/503c type of thing.
It's not. It is a for profit enterprise charted as such (LLC). Make no mistake.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:09 am

Igneouss wrote:With the current (and growing) ticket madness I guess that there will be record numbers of attempts to sneak in.

This should be interesting to watch.

Make sure that everone in your vehicle has a ticket or things will get ugly for everyone in the car.

One other comment re: 'BM is a business'

A lot of folks are confused by this issue. It's easy to assume that BM is a non-profit/charity/503c type of thing.
It's not. It is a for profit enterprise charted as such (LLC). Make no mistake.

It will be non-profit next year, if everything goes as planned. But that certainly won't effect salaries of the owners.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby mode-of-operation » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:15 am

Well since the powers that be want to make $$, they wont' mind if I make some $$. Not too bad when you can buy 2 tickets for $640.00 and then resell them for $1800.00. After all, Burning Man is a business and why should I be denied the right to sell something that you legally sold me and I can legally resell. And since I can make about $1160.00 profit, I think that my salary for that transaction warrants said compensation based on nothing more than my own opinion.

The system will crash upon itself and this event is about to change "radically." The cat's out of the bag ladies and gents. Expect higher ticket prices because now they know what the demand for the event is and what people are now willing to pay for the right to attend it. Larry is going to price the hippies right out of this sucker. The almighty dollar will cloud his judgement and if he doesn't stop it, the crafty ticket scalper will turn this sucker upside down. Instead of radical self reliance, it will be $300,000.00 RV's, corporate sponsorship and catering services. But hey it's a business and according to you guys, it's ok for some people make money at B-Man.
mode-of-operation

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:39 am

mode-of-operation wrote:Well since the powers that be want to make $$, they wont' mind if I make some $$. Not too bad when you can buy 2 tickets for $640.00 and then resell them for $1800.00. After all, Burning Man is a business and why should I be denied the right to sell something that you legally sold me and I can legally resell. And since I can make about $1160.00 profit, I think that my salary for that transaction warrants said compensation based on nothing more than my own opinion.

The system will crash upon itself and this event is about to change "radically." The cat's out of the bag ladies and gents. Expect higher ticket prices because now they know what the demand for the event is and what people are now willing to pay for the right to attend it. Larry is going to price the hippies right out of this sucker. The almighty dollar will cloud his judgement and if he doesn't stop it, the crafty ticket scalper will turn this sucker upside down. Instead of radical self reliance, it will be $300,000.00 RV's, corporate sponsorship and catering services. But hey it's a business and according to you guys, it's ok for some people make money at B-Man.

Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:53 am

This is NOT a bad thing.

mode-of-operation wrote:Well since the powers that be want to make $$, they wont' mind if I make some $$. Not too bad when you can buy 2 tickets for $640.00 and then resell them for $1800.00. After all, Burning Man is a business and why should I be denied the right to sell something that you legally sold me and I can legally resell. And since I can make about $1160.00 profit, I think that my salary for that transaction warrants said compensation based on nothing more than my own opinion.

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:58 am

Okay, so the event will suck, lose money, shrink or be sold out, then we can have it back. So?
AntiM

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks