Sneaking into Burning Man

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Sneaking into Burning Man

Postby Turnip » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:17 am

All too often I hear people complaining about how they think Burning Man is too expensive.

I even have friends that think it's totally reasonable for me to help them sneak in. And don't get why I am so adamantly against it.

Let this thread be for anyone who thinks that sneaking into Burning Man is no big deal.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Re: Sneaking into Burning Man

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:31 am

Well, if they don't get that if you get caught, you don't get to go in either, they are pretty crappy friends.

Divide the ticket price by 7 and compare that to any other festival, or disneyland or ...

Logistics are crazy, everything gets trucked in.

But I'm guessing that these friends aren't too bright.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Turnip » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Well, if they don't get that if you get caught, you don't get to go in either, they are pretty crappy friends.

Divide the ticket price by 7 and compare that to any other festival, or disneyland or ...

Not bright at all.

They're more friend's of my boyfriend. And like to play the whole
"She just doesn't want you to help me sneak in because she doesn't like me."
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:45 am

Turnip wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Well, if they don't get that if you get caught, you don't get to go in either, they are pretty crappy friends.

Not bright at all.

They're more friend's of my boyfriend. And like to play the whole

The more such a person pestered me to be dishonest, and endanger my own vacation, the less I would like them. What narcissists. Egos so huge they don't even realize someone would have a perfectly good reason not to. And secondly, that no one has to justify not liking someone. You don't have to have a special license.

If they tried that "you don't like me!" stuff, I'd just smile hugely. They could take it as either "I see your little game" . . . or "Bingo!"
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:46 am

+1!! If someone asked me to sneak in, you're right... I wouldn't like them.

Too expensive? for a city infrastructure of 50,000 people? It's a lot cheaper than what I pay for taxes the rest of the year for fire, emergency response, sewage disposal, communications, civic infrastructure 50 or so weeks out of the year...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby moonrise » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 am

Yup, I could spend $40 a day (or more) to camp any old place. 6, 7 or up to 9 days times $40 a day...easy math...it ain't THAT much of a difference (not saying raise the ticket price though, hehehe)

In Tahoe if you worm your way onto a ski area without a ticket and get caught, they handcuff you and charge you with 'defraduing an Innkeeper' Oh and yea, the ski area can be on federal land, with a lease or whatever, so the whole BLM land argument doesn't fly with me and mine. Cheap skates never change, even after being arrested, fuck 'em...(oh, maybe don't actually fuck 'em, they don't deserve a mercy Fuck, lmao)
Last edited by moonrise on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby wedeliver » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:06 am

So you want to sneak into Burning Man. There is a way, two words..

Astral Projection

If you would like to try it you need to "buy a ticket and take the ride"

quote hunter. da man.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:08 am

Just tell them it's about Radical SELF Reliance - so disguise yourself as a jackrabbit and sneak yourself in.

Let them chew on that for a while lol.

The ticket is actually the least expense on our trip to BRC - I suspect that these "friends" would be total mooches all week.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:15 am

And not very honest either. If they'd steal the price of admission, I wouldn't want them wandering around the event wondering if they'd steal stuff from my camp too.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:21 am

I'm not one "who thinks that sneaking into Burning Man is no big deal", though I have seen it done.

This year is different - the event is sold out, so no $360 gate tickets. How is someone who is caught going to get home while their friends proceed on in? But it would solve the LEO catch, fine and release in Reno "quota" problem, now wouldn't it? Much more expensive stupid tax than a ticket, and much less pleasant. In fact, the org should make an official statement of policy for this year if they have not.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:24 am

Drawingablank wrote:Just tell them it's about Radical SELF Reliance - so disguise yourself as a jackrabbit and sneak yourself in.

Let them chew on that for a while lol.

The ticket is actually the least expense on our trip to BRC - I suspect that these "friends" would be total mooches all week.

I'm picturing the sneaky fools using their all-purpose phrase in various situations--as those inclined to be duplicitous do not usually reserve sneaking & thievery for only the most special of occasions.

"You don't like me!" . . .

* while sneaking through the neighbors' cooler
* while trying to sneak into DPW facilities and being beaten
* while being arrested for public drug use
* while calling from Reno to ask for bail
* while being punched in the face for touching without asking

It's all purpose! They should sell a limited license to the phrase for $19.95.
Savannah

Postby BBadger » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:29 am

Turnip wrote:They're more friend's of my boyfriend. And like to play the whole

It's hilarious that they haven't made the connection as to why that might be.

I wouldn't touch those thieving shits with a ten-foot pole, lest they ruin your entire trip. I'd even consider narcing those dumbasses out just to see their shit wrecked by the authorities, possibly eradicating that cancerous portion of your social life. Souring a relationship with such social diseases is not always a bad thing. I would, however, make sure your neighbors watch your stuff back at home. Those shady thieves might feel entitled to retaliate in their twisted mindset.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby BAS » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57 am

The tickets aren't the biggest expense, at least not if you live as far away as I do. Are these "friends" hoping others will cover all the rest of their expenses, too?

Actually, I am glad to see you make the distinction between friends of yours and friends of a (boy)friend.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:23 pm

some seeing eye wrote:I'm not one "who thinks that sneaking into Burning Man is no big deal", though I have seen it done.

This year is different - the event is sold out, so no $360 gate tickets. How is someone who is caught going to get home while their friends proceed on in? But it would solve the LEO catch, fine and release in Reno "quota" problem, now wouldn't it? Much more expensive stupid tax than a ticket, and much less pleasant. In fact, the org should make an official statement of policy for this year if they have not.

The event is sold out, however, wasn't there somewhere that said they were going to have a limited number of 360 tickets at the gate this year? If someone tries to sneak in...and I say try...they'll likely have to pay the stupid tax, as in any other year.

If there are no tickets, the group sneaking the person in will have to take them back to reno, drop them off, then come back through the gate w/o the leech. They can't just leave them at the gate. They must take them alllllllll the way back. So, people who want to sneak in...do you want to do that to your friends?? Get online and find a ticket OR stay home.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Mojojita » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:36 pm

If you do find that someone was successful in sneaking in, tell them we would like to "congratulate" them and have them come to the Meet 'n Greet and tell us all about it. That should be educational for them about exactly why you don't want to help them sneak in. People bragging about sneaking in need to be captured and released in Reno.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Turnip wrote:They're more friend's of my boyfriend. And like to play the whole

Like it's been said multiple times- I wouldn't like someone who honestly expected us to sneak them in.

Have your boyfriend read this thread, and make sure that he understands that he will be liable for their needs & getting them back to Reno when they get caught (not "if"; I have a feeling Gate will be extremely thorough this year with the Sold Out condition).

Oh- if your boyfriend isn't going it's Not Your Problem. They're his friends, he can deal with their bullshit.

They are leeches. Pour salt on them.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby SnowBlind » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:The event is sold out, however, wasn't there somewhere that said they were going to have a limited number of 360 tickets at the gate this year?

No, they've said multiple times there are NO sales at that gate this year. They took the $360 tickets that would have gone to the gate, and put them for sale online after the $320s sold out.
SnowBlind

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:01 pm

There are NO tix sales at BoxOffice this year.

There ARE, as of this post, still tix available at the $360 price level. The event is not officially sold out ....yet.

If you are caught with a stowaway, the entire VEHICLE gets sent to DLot to get sorted. At this point, it's discretionary to let you in the event at all, for any price. The entire VEHICLE gets assessed a stupid tax, not just the stowaway. This can be very expensive and the vehicle is perfectly allowed to not pay it.

Vehicles are not permitted to "drop people" that violated and then proceed inside with the remaining members with tickets. You brought him, you take him....elsewhere. When you return without your stowaway, guess what? Your stupid tax still awaits...

Also, in prior years, the stupid tax was paid in conjunction with the offender having to buy a ticket at the highest price level. This was done with the DLot lead and the offender at the BoxOffice window. Since there are no tix for sale at the Box Office this year, guess what happens? The vehicle now has a live body they must find disposition for...and it ain't in DLot.

So, all in all...this year having a stowaway in your vehicle will likely cost you up to $1k AND require you to take the stowaway somewhere permanently before returning.

Ummm...so yea.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:12 pm

I think it's kind that there is even a chance for people to pay a stupid tax, rather than be turned away.

I guess I'm happy about it for any hitchhikers who picked the wrong car, or the outvoted travelers who might've been against the idea of stowaways in the first place. And by happy, I mean "feel sorry for, and hope they have a credit card."
Savannah

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:There are NO tix sales at BoxOffice this year.

There ARE, as of this post, still tix available at the $360 price level. The event is not officially sold out ....yet.

If you are caught with a stowaway, the entire VEHICLE gets sent to DLot to get sorted. At this point, it's discretionary to let you in the event at all, for any price. The entire VEHICLE gets assessed a stupid tax, not just the stowaway. This can be very expensive and the vehicle is perfectly allowed to not pay it.

Vehicles are not permitted to "drop people" that violated and then proceed inside with the remaining members with tickets. You brought him, you take him....elsewhere. When you return without your stowaway, guess what? Your stupid tax still awaits...

Also, in prior years, the stupid tax was paid in conjunction with the offender having to buy a ticket at the highest price level. This was done with the DLot lead and the offender at the BoxOffice window. Since there are no tix for sale at the Box Office this year, guess what happens? The vehicle now has a live body they must find disposition for...and it ain't in DLot.

So, all in all...this year having a stowaway in your vehicle will likely cost you up to $1k AND require you to take the stowaway somewhere permanently before returning.

Ummm...so yea.

LoR

Well if that is not enough of a deterrent against smuggling in non ticket holders, then they deserve whatever treatment is rained down on them.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby phil » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Catching hippies in 41 days. :->

What's red and orange and looks good on hippies? Fire.

This is Louise on perimeter patrol:

Obligatory link and more images here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/sets/72157607234068895/with/2832020336/

If you try to sneak in, you don't want Louise catching you. :->
phil

Postby HandJamMasterC » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:29 pm

If the idiots think tickets to Burning Man are expensive, they should see how much it costs to start, build and run a theme camp! All for the love of fellow Burners.
And worth every penny...................
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:56 pm

O yeah right, guys!
We all know sneaking people into Burning Man is easy as 1,2,4!

Just because you don't want to admit it on eplaya because you don't want to get set up, doesn't mean you have to belittle the people that haven't figured it out yet.

:wink:
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby TomServo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:55 pm

A couple years ago, a guy successfuly snuck in, driving a water truck. What brought attention to him was that he was spraying water in front of the truck. Its not worth sneaking someone in....you lose your ticket as well.

You can pay up to $100 for a concert ticket....and that's only one night. I wish I only had to pay $80 for a ticket again, but I understand why they're so expensive.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:31 pm

say, just for conversation, your boyfriends friends were to try to sneak in.
What sort of vehicle, would work best for that?
Do they like baseball, or soccer?
How many of them did you say there were?
I wonder, given general descriptions, how many would fit into said vehicle of choice?
I like hard candy, but not chewing gum. I wonder if they feel the same?
Do they think there would be a better day to sneak in, than other days/night?
Are they all pitchers? are some catchers, as well?
They do know, take out pizza on the playa closes at 1 a.m., right?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:17 pm

ygmir wrote:say, just for conversation, your boyfriends friends were to try to sneak in.
I wonder, given general descriptions, how many would fit into said vehicle of choice?

I just lol'd in a meeting.
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:32 pm

That's the second time that has happened. You're pushing your luck!
VeganChoirGirl wrote:
ygmir wrote:say, just for conversation, your boyfriends friends were to try to sneak in.

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:58 pm

jkisha wrote:That's the second time that has happened. You're pushing your luck!
VeganChoirGirl wrote:

It's even the same meeting. You have no idea...I am going to GET IN TOUBLLLEEEEE
VeganChoirGirl

Postby The CO » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Turnip (& anyone with "friends" like this), cut the following deal with them:

1-"I will sneak you into Burning Man. It will cost you $500, cash up front. You are not camping with me, and I will not transport any of your gear. Just you. What I say goes. No refunds." The remainder of these instructions is to remain secret from them.

2-When you have the cash in hand, go buy (or find free on the street) a nasty ass couch. Hollow out the inside.

3-The "friend" has to ride in the hollowed out couch, preferably in the back of a box truck full of fuel in leaking containers, the entire trip, no matter how long a drive.

4- don't let them out for at least 4 hours before you get past Gerlach. Do not stop in Gerlach.

5-When you get to road turnoff, let them out for a breather & bathroom break.

6-Head for the gate as soon as they are in the pooper.

7-If they manage to catch up with you, they have no ticket, nothing in your car that proves they came with you, and are not part of the vehicle that Lord of Ruin and his cronies will have to mess with. They're just some crazy gate crasher/stalker thats been following you since the turnoff.

8-Now you have $500 dollars for Burning Man, and maybe they will learn a lesson.

9-Fuck that guy.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 pm

Brilliant. :lol:
Savannah

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks