Android developers needed for iBurn 2011

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Android developers needed for iBurn 2011

Postby LittleJack » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Hey all!

I've been chatting with the folks who made the excellent iBurn for iPhone. I'm not overly fond of iOS, and I use Android. They're working on an Android version, but apparently unless they get some major help, the Android version will suck, especially compared to the iOS version. I'm about as far from a programmer as one can get (I can't program "hello world" in less than 500 lines), so I figured I'd ask here. If you're an Android developer and want to work on a wicked cool Burning Man app, please let me know and I'll put you in touch with the right folks.

-Little Jack
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Re: Android developers needed for iBurn 2011

Postby Rec_Les » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:15 am

Ah, I was wondering if iBurn would be updated and re-released this year! I unfortunately couldn't make it to the Burn last year and was really anxious to use this application. Also, I wish I could help in the dev part, but I'm in no way a programmer. :( Would you by chance have info on the iOS 2011 release?

Cheers-
-Rec
Rec_Les

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Cafe Village

Postby doc » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Please oh please let there be an android version this year.

I drive Large scale art cars out there including the Cheshire Cat, Creepy Crawler, and others and the IBurn app helped sooo much last year. We were able to guide 3 other artcars back from one of the burns during a near white out. Yes we could see 30 or so feet and had spoters walkling along. That is how we roll...but just knowing where to go was soooo helpfull.

Thank you so much to the Iburn crew and hope there is a way to have it out there again.

Doc
doc

Postby TerryInBRC » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Not that this helps the Android folk, but I noticed someone asked about iOS updates to iBurn. I have submitted a 2011 update for my iOS app "Time To Burn". A snapshot of the event & camp database was taken last week, which includes approximately 1600 events. New for this year is the ability to add events into your calendar, with a reminder. :)
TerryInBRC

Burning Since: 2001

Postby sjs » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 pm

The developer of iBurn posted a blog post saying that there probably won't be a 2011 version:
http://www.gaiagps.com/news/article/iBu ... ning%20Man

It sounds like for it to happen either BMORG would need to get their API working properly, or some volunteers would need to step up to provide the data themselves somehow.
sjs

Postby doc » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:15 pm

If someone could pass on to the powers to be how helpful this app is that would be awesome. If it's a matter of data entry I'm sure I can wrangle some people to help out.

Thanks
Doc
doc

Postby BRC Sleepy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:26 am

For map information, it seems possible that the org may not have map information in the database yet as they would have only just started laying out the city.

Checking other sources (http://www.wkeller.net/BRC-GPS/ & http://www.7hertz.com/archives/categori ... index.html), they haven't released Garmin maps for prior years until mid to late August.

Personally, I'd love just a basic map showing the streets. Does anyone know of a good GPS program for Android which could use any of the map files from the first source?
BRC Sleepy

Postby Zhust » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:28 am

[Insert requisite joke about STD's and there being an app for that.]
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby sjs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:04 am

Looks like iBurn 2011 happened after all, at least for iOS devices:
http://www.gaiagps.com/news/article/iBurn%202011%20submitted%20to%20Apple
http://www.gaiagps.com/news/article/iBurn%202011%20is%20Live

the jury is still out on the Android app, but we're trying

Here's hoping it happens so I can use iBurn on my Android device.

Well done, Gaia and friends!
sjs

Postby Shark » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:38 am

Ah shit! I'm learning how to develop for the Android platform as I speak, but I'm sad to say I don't have the depth to create a full application yet. Next year I'll have to step up my game and help out with iBurn!! Good luck all you stranded android users.
Shark

Postby sjs » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:45 pm

Shark wrote:Ah shit! I'm learning how to develop for the Android platform as I speak, but I'm sad to say I don't have the depth to create a full application yet. Next year I'll have to step up my game and help out with iBurn!! Good luck all you stranded android users.

iBurn for Android will be Ready When Gates Open:
http://www.gaiagps.com/news/article/iBu ... tes%20Open
sjs

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks