Heat

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Heat

Postby tamarakay » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:20 am

OK, here in Texas we are working on our 23rd day of triple digit temperatures. Humidity has been up and down, nothing consistent, but the fire danger is HIGH due to heat, drought, stupid smokers throwing smokes out their windows (i live on acreage out in the country off a major highway, constant worry as there has been so much damage done from these idiots).

ANYWAY, i'm not doing very well with the heat these last few days and it has me very worried about Black Rock City and my ability to cope.

Deeply worried. There I said it. Released it from my brain where it has been spinning like a mad squirrel on a wheel.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Re: Heat

Postby goathead » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:25 am

You have more humidity then we have here.

And while we do at times hit 100's at TTITD most of the time its low 90's high 80's

You should be very comfortable.
:D
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:31 am

The heat can get to you at times out there. Tell ya what, if it gets overwhelming, just drop by our camp and you can spend some time drinking lychee martinis in our air conditioned yurt.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:36 am

The lack of humidity makes it really pleasant out there, along with the "breeze" :D You can also cool down REALLY fast with some ice water baths.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:37 am

I find the extreme heat here much easier to take if I am not trying to get any work done. I may wind up just lying down in the middle of the day.

The nights should be cool. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby goathead » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:40 am

They normally are

unless your standing to close to the
FLAMES
:twisted:
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby pinemom » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:41 am

You dont work from 1pm till 5pm....out here...you sit and enjoy conversation and down time...Hey the mexicans have been doing it for yrs....siesta time!
The Britts do Tea time...

all over the world...no one does much more then DRINK something at those times of the day...

Oh, and yes, having 0.0000000001 % humidity...helps!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby tamarakay » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:45 am

That is very reassuring Mr. Goathead. I need to find some pictures of my son in his mascot uniform and post them for you. We are the Battling Billies and my son John the school mascot. Ran around for two years worth of sporting/school events in a goat suit. Since he was 6'4" at the time, he was quite impressive and absolutely hilarious. Your posts always trigger his picture in my head.

jKisha, sounds lovely and be careful what you wish for lol, we wanted to check out a yurt close up for possible construction here at the house for temp guest cottages. Something fun and different for the family reunions.
o

Oh wow, I went to post the above and it says "there have been additions to the thread, you might want to review your post in light of this" LOL
Piney - that is what we do here too, but the heat is winning this year.
0.000000001% sounds damned lovely.

tamarakay

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:53 am

We broke a heat record set in 1912 in June. I can't speak to Texas humidity, but we'll still be 100 degrees at 11 a.m. with 100% humidity. It's hot, stuffy, sticky and suffocating.

The main thing about the playa is the constant sun. Yeah, it's hot, but it's the non-stop sun exposure that gets me. Just try to stay in the shade and not overdo it. If you feel tired, have a seat and a cold drink and take a rest. It's pretty tough to recover once you cross the exhaustion line.

Be sure to stay hydrated - that means water, not Gatorade/coffee/booze/etc.). I swear by Vitalyte.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby goathead » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:13 am

HomeBrew
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:18 am

In my experience, it's the extreme dryness that you have to watch. No matter what the temperature, the playa can suck the moisture right out of you. That's why we say: "Hydrate or die!" :mrgreen:
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby goathead » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:23 am

Piss Clear
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 am

Memphis is worse than anywhere in texas, and the playa just barely matches houston at it's worst.
Then it cools off at night.

Some years are nice and pleasant.

I go to black rock for relief from the heat.

You guys in low humidity, don't kid yourself.
The high humidity can dehydrate you almost as badly.
Here you just keep sweating and with no wind, no relief.

I started out in the cool this morning and my clothes are drying now.
Completely soaked.
My heart rate is still up in the ac.

I meant to get a cooling vest by now.
The good ones are pricey for high humidity areas.
I've been promised an nfl suit, but they haven't managed to get one yet.
Not sure i can carry something built for someone 300 pounds anyway.
gyre

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:54 am

Tamara . . . you will be fine. It's dry as a bone on the playa. And you will be distracted by many things, many drinks, and many friends and the utter lack of real world bull@#$%. Now--I've never been in Texas heat, but I have been in Columbus Ohio on Independence Day once, and felt more oppressed by their breezeless triple-digit heat and nasty humidity than I did a month later on the playa (and that might've been the year it got up to 113F the week of the Burn).

But as Goathead says, high 80's/90's and relentlessly dry is the usual.

Have you purchased yourself a parasol or "UV umbrella" for low-wind moments, yet? They are lovely for short trips.

So are those battery-powered personal oscillating fan/water mister items.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby tamarakay » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:18 am

We have a couple umbrellas, was going into San Antonio tomorrow to do some shopping so i'll look for the fan things.
Ken thinks I need to go have my blood pressure checked, but I've had notoriously low blood pressure my whole life so I think he's just being over protective

tamarakay

Postby Bin Noddin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:34 am

Lots of good suggestions here and I strongly second Piney's advice about time-out/siesta. There's so much to see and do, you may find yourself wiped out unless to take breaks. Shade and water, shade and water, shade and lots of water.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:56 am

I was serious. One year, before I ever went to BM, John had overdone a bit and the heat was really beating him up. Had he not found an airconditioned space, he probably would have left the event. So, just paying it forward. Plus we enjoy showing off our summer cottage in the desert. ;)
tamarakay wrote:jKisha, sounds lovely and be careful what you wish for lol, we wanted to check out a yurt close up for possible construction here at the house for temp guest cottages. Something fun and different for the family reunions.
o
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:58 am

tamarakay wrote:We have a couple umbrellas, was going into San Antonio tomorrow to do some shopping so i'll look for the fan things.
Ken thinks I need to go have my blood pressure checked, but I've had notoriously low blood pressure my whole life so I think he's just being over protective

Maybe humor him. He'll feel better, and you'll have an extra excuse to eat salty things along with your many beverages (it helps you keep your water in).
Savannah

Postby DanusLight » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:37 pm

tamarakay wrote:Ken thinks I need to go have my blood pressure checked, but I've had notoriously low blood pressure my whole life so I think he's just being over protective

Please get it checked. That was my line for sooo long. Now, I'm on a daily medication for hypertension (after I quit smoking, go figure!!)
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Tamarkay- I'm just going to second, third, fourth & fifth what everyone else said- just rest during the day and keep hydrated and you should be fine. I can't stand the heat (one small reason I live in SF- heat never lasts long here) but I do fine on the playa. I suffered more in NYC on July for 3 days than I ever have out there.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:18 pm

In reference to the vests, the high humidity type will work out there, but the evaporative type works too, and very cheap.

There's a thread, or used to be.

It's like magic to those from normal humidity.

And not too much salt.
You want to sweat if it's hot.
gyre

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Like they say, it is actually quite comfortable with low humidity and almost constant breezes. And you & Ken have access to a cool shower in my bus, anytime.

Since I'm not much of a night owl, I like the mornings for walks and bike rides. :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby tamarakay » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:35 pm

This group just rocks.
We evidently have the stuff that the evaporative vests/head wraps are stuffed with so we will be experimenting with putting one together this weekend.

Elliott! Good to see you. Ken is very interested in seeing your bus. The pictures you posted of construction have him intrigued.

And just to make Ken happy, went by the drug store, don't know how accurate their machines are but 97 over 64 is hard to beat.

tamarakay

Postby Elorrum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:51 pm

One of the neatest things someone gave me at burning man is a little neck cooler. about a one inch fabric tube with houseplant soil gel pellets...(?probably a real name for this stuff). It absorbs a lot of liquid, and is nice and cooling. water and misters and sprayers and damp cloths... or wet shirts and hats... Ygmir has a nice spray of rubbing and alcohol and water he sprays on his socks when he puts his feet up, that's nice and cool. I have a bunch of portable sprayer things, pump pressurized, or pump to spray. After a while I just feel like there is too much to keep track of and I put the neck cooler in a baggie with some water and put it in the cooler.
Be a midday sloth, remember only mad dogs and Englishmen (Grai?) go out in the noonday sun.
here's my dish rinser and personal camp mister:

It's hot, but it's awful dirty too. cheers!
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:07 pm

tamarakay wrote:And just to make Ken happy, went by the drug store, don't know how accurate their machines are but 97 over 64 is hard to beat.

Frankly, I'm jealous.
Savannah

Postby Foxfur » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Last edited by Foxfur on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:22 am

gyre wrote:Memphis is worse than anywhere in texas

Um, no.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:49 am

Maybe not, Smashy.

We have one the lowest average winds in the country.
Otherwise, it's pretty close to Houston or San Antonio.

I haven't spent much time further southwest than San Antonio, but I've spent time everywhere else in Texas, even Memphis, Texas.
The lack of wind really does make a difference, even with the humidity.

I wouldn't call Texas comfortably moderate in the summer.
I've even biked all over the Austin hills.
I still miss the Dry Creek Cafe.

I was told how brutal black rock would be, and my first two years were much cooler than average.
Nice and cool.

Those desert nights put it all in perspective too.
gyre

Postby MisaBlue » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:27 am

To be honest, I hate warm weather... I really dont like temperatures over 77 (and I should not be in high temperatures, but dont say anybody)

I love playa thou, and it just doesnt feel "bad" hot there. Remember how hard time I had in Houston (and it was September, October), but it is ok on playa!
Stay hydrate!!!
and watch for sun!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby graidawg » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:49 am

Elorrum wrote:One of the neatest things someone gave me at burning man is a little neck cooler. about a one inch fabric tube with houseplant soil gel pellets...(?probably a real name for this stuff). It absorbs a lot of liquid, and is nice and cooling. water and misters and sprayers and damp cloths... or wet shirts and hats... Ygmir has a nice spray of rubbing and alcohol and water he sprays on his socks when he puts his feet up, that's nice and cool. I have a bunch of portable sprayer things, pump pressurized, or pump to spray. After a while I just feel like there is too much to keep track of and I put the neck cooler in a baggie with some water and put it in the cooler.
Be a midday sloth, remember only mad dogs and Englishmen (Grai?) go out in the noonday sun.
here's my dish rinser and personal camp mister:

It's hot, but it's awful dirty too. cheers!

You called? hey we like to get things done, and we arent going to let some little fire millions of miles away stop us!
seriously though i fully intend to do nothing but drink and sleep from 12 to not so hot anymore - and yes i can sleep in ridiculous heat. if you see me in the sun though make sure i have sunscreen on i burn in about 20 minutes in britain so i reckon i have maybe 30 to 40 seconds of exposure over there before crisping up and looking like overcooked bacon
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks