Preparing to lose your digital camera

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Preparing to lose your digital camera

Postby Zhust » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:30 pm

I haven't had an opportunity to lose my digital camera yet, but I'm ready. Here's my tip on that:

If you have a computer, open your favorite word processor and make a nice big page of your name, address, phone number, playa name, etc. so it fills as much of the screen as possible. If you don't have a computer, write it all on a sheet of paper in thick marker to fill the whole page.

Now take a picture of the screen or paper so you can read it on the camera screen.

Some cameras have a feature where you can "lock" pictures against accidental deletion. Do that with this one. If you can mark it as a favorite, or move it to be the first picture in the camera, that would be great too.

That way, if someone finds your camera (or even just the memory card) they at least have some way to track you down.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Re: Preparing to lose your digital camera

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Second this idea, and if you plan on bringing more than one memory card do this with each one. That way you never have to worry once you switch cards.

Personally I only bring a shitty camera out there (an old Canon A550 point & shoot), but it takes lovely pictures and decent video, and means nothing if I lose it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Sham » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:09 pm

That's a great idea. I know that most of the lost cameras are turned in, and the challenge starts to reunite camera and owner. I have always stuck a return address label on the body of the camera, so at least they have my name and some sort of identification---but I like Jay's idea better!
Sham

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Go whole hog--label your camera AND take a photo of your info.

I'm not much for searching the inside of someone's camera (I mean--eventually I'd get around to it) but I've never owned a digital 'til now, and I haven't even taken it out of the box. So I'd say: put a blank label on it, and once your camp is precisely established, write the name and exact address (John "Playname" Smith, Camp Blue, 7:50 and G, email address).

Someone like me would be much more inclined to return it to an actual camp. If it's label-free, I'd probably take it to Playa Info rather than mess with all the buttons and risk deleting all your pretty things.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby SouthernExposure » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:33 pm

I just recently received a FLIP digital video camera. It doesn't look to have many, if any, moving parts. What steps can I take (other than just leaving it home) to help it survive the playa?

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby Brxdfw » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:55 pm

[quote="SouthernExposure"]I just recently received a FLIP digital video camera. It doesn't look to have many, if any, moving parts. What steps can I take (other than just leaving it home) to help it survive the playa? [/quote]

Your best bet is to carry it in a ziplock bag at all times, and take it out only to take pictures. That has worked well for me. Also, be smart about taking it out in the midst of a white-out dust storm.

Brx
Brxdfw

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:37 am

if you're camping with a theme camp, add that info as well so you can get your camera back while still at burning man
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby portaplaya » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:50 am

I invite you all to also view the Tips and Tricks posting on keeping your camera gear working on playa:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40776&p=687085&hilit=credentials#p687085
portaplaya

Postby xhoosier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 pm

i lost mine in my camp twic last year. I got the best pictures! :) But having said that, buy two crappy ones at walmart. One to use, one as a backup and a few extra memory cards. Saw 2 mega pixel cameras at walmarkt for 19.95 Cool deal in my opinion. PS, put you camp location or phone number on them and you may see them again,,,,
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Zhust » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:49 am

One last thing ... there is a camp that provides free tags that you can attach to your camera where you can write your name and location: Media Mecca.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks