Is this Kosher to bring?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Is this Kosher to bring?

Postby Schwarttzy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

So I have never been to Burning Man before and this will be my first year, I sure am lucky with this years theme :wink: :wink:, and I was hoping for your guys input. I have a fully functional hand made Tomahawk Peace Pipe that I enjoy smoking out of. Crafted with Damascus steel, skull and cross bones engraved in the metal, with beautiful gold inlay in the wood, metal mouth piece, a leather safety cover, and a screw in knife for cleaning the pipe this thing is a sight to behold. Though beautiful it is not even remotely out done by how amazing it smokes.

Now the reason I'm not sure this is Kosher is because burners tend to be heavily against "War" and seeing as this is an iconic Native American Weapon I would hate to ruffle too many feathers with it. But I argue that duality of the this tomahawk peace pipe nature is why the impression of peace and tranquility is so strong and considered a sacred act to smoke it. I plan to share the wonderful experience of smoking it with everyone that is will to join me at BM this year, unless I get a resounding no from you guys.

AND of course I will ONLY use it to smoke out of and nothing more.

Also while I'm spending the time to start this thread I might as well ask this too. "I desire to gift some amazing thing that I could afford and it won't become MOOP. And with all the brain storming and lurking on the threads I though it might be cool to continue the Native American theme and make my favorite necklace I wear every day. Which is a nylon cord (2.9mm paracord basicly) with a Arrowhead attached to it with Highly reflective strands at night in the lace." I would plan to give away like 20 some odd to people I meet while there.

thanks for reading my newbie stuff.
Schwarttzy

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Is this Kosher to bring?

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:09 pm

The BLM might get touchy that it could be seen as a weapon (per the survival guide, although I need to double-check). You will also be asked WHAT you're smoking more often than will be fun. Burners probably won't be offended by the historic intrinsic meaning and it would be a terrific conversation starter.

I think the biggest problem is that it is a fine piece you'd be heart-broken to lose. That's the bottom line, never bring anything you can't stand to have ruined, lost, or sadly enough, stolen. Things happen, things walk away or hide from you. It could take a ride on an art car when you got off. Do you have a way to attach your ID/contact info to it?

I'd say no, but because it is too nice, too special.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Trishntek » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Nice of you to ask, but I honestly believe the "war" thing you concern yourself with is nothing to worry about. You might read antiwar on this board, but certainly not anti-weapon. There are some issues with swords and such. I'm sure others are more knowledgeable than me about that.

It looks quite unique and valuable. I would hesitate to bring something so precious to such a hostile environment. But that is your call.

Edit:
Your necklace idea sounds ideal! Something handmade and functional is always appreciated. Gifting is more about sharing a bit of yourself rather than any old tangible item. It is obvious you aim to put some of yourself into what you share. I think you grasp the essence of the idea.

Edit #2:
Welcome to ePlaya! WELCOME HOME!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Swords and guns are not permitted, but because the BLM is geared to deal with hardcore backpackers and campers, there's nothing in their rules explicitly against axes.
We're not a bunch of peaceniks, maybe you're confusing this with another Gathering. :)
Just don't wave it around and make a nuisance of yourself.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Schwarttzy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Trishntek wrote:WELCOME HOME!
You should know that means a lot to me, and I can't wait to hear some one in BRC say that to me.

I see a trend in the comments happening and I thought I should mention, "I'm not worried about losing this Tomahawk, while it would really suck, I could always buy one similar to it. I also don't like to live life in fear of something that could possible happen because there are just to many possibilities to choose the right one. Finally if I could bring it and I don't bring it, I know I would get this gut wrenching, it would have been great, bummer feeling."
Schwarttzy

Postby Trishntek » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Schwarttzy wrote:
Trishntek wrote:WELCOME HOME!
You should know that means a lot to me, and I can't wait to hear some one in BRC say that to me.

I see a trend in the comments happening and I thought I should mention, "I'm not worried about losing this Tomahawk, while it would really suck, I could always buy one similar to it. I also don't like to live life in fear of something that could possible happen because there are just to many possibilities to choose the right one. Finally if I could bring it and I don't bring it, I know I would get this gut wrenching, it would have been great, bummer feeling."

Well then, bring it! We have some special smoking materials to give it a good workout if you drop by!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Schwarttzy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:03 pm

Trishntek wrote:We have some special smoking materials to give it a good workout if you drop by!

I hope to find you and your group then!
Schwarttzy

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:15 pm

as stated above, don't bring anything you don't want to lose or get trashed. If you do lose it, someone will likely find it, possibly turn it in to lost & found. But the finder will fall in love with it and likely keep it and assign all kinds of magic power to it.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:55 am

"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 am

Tell you what, bring it by Barbie Death Camp and let me be the judge of whether or not it's kosher I'm only here to help.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Bluemandrew » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:33 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Tell you what, bring it by Barbie Death Camp and let me be the judge of whether or not it's kosher I'm only here to help.

Make sure to find me when he gets there Doc. I may have an opinion as well. Though I guess you're more qualified to decide if something is kosher or not...
Bluemandrew

Postby pereZScoth » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:36 pm

Cool Axe. Is that for gift?
lol.

I wonder who own that I'd like to make one out of it.

EspressoDude wrote:as stated above, don't bring anything you don't want to lose or get trashed. If you do lose it, someone will likely find it, possibly turn it in to lost & found. But the finder will fall in love with it and likely keep it and assign all kinds of magic power to it.

ahaha.
Cherish the item you had loot. That's so rare to find.
L.Alexander wrote:King Arthur was one of my heroes - I played with a trash can lid for a knightly shield and my uncle`s cane sword for the Excalibur Swords.
pereZScoth

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:23 am

It would be great to bury the blade in the ground and smoke from the pipe.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:55 am

If you keep it low key, you should be OK. I know a camp that has a sword, and, as one of their rites, have people say an oath while holding live steel. On playa. But it's not something they run out in the middle of center camp waving about.

Another (ours) have a number of replica arms attached to the walls... again, we don't make a big deal out of it (unless we're in performance mode), and have received zero hassle from LEO's... even the few who have wandered into our bar.

I agree... whoever told you burners were anti-"War"... um... none I know of. Remember, BRC used to be the home of the Drive-By Shooting Range... ;)

Like AntiM said, what I'd be petrified of is it vanishing if you brought it out, because stuff (especially nice stuff) tends to vanish out there... BTDT with an irreplacable lantern someone lifted from the back of an art car I helped build... but... if you're willing to take the risk, then that's on you.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Yes, I would have been devastated if someone had grabbed my beautiful axe.
Ugly Dougly

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks