Medication/Health Needs/Contact Lenses... Advice?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Medication/Health Needs/Contact Lenses... Advice?

Postby sunrae » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Herro!
So this will be my first year. There are a few concerns that I have.... so I'm looking for some advice from some oldies out there.

First-- I have lupus. It is usually not a hindrance, but it can be. In the off chance that somebody reading this has a chronic illness or something similar going on in their lives, what was your experience on the playa? How accessible are health services out there?

Secondly-- one of the worst parts about lupus is the dry eyes that it can cause. Mine aren't too bad--but I do wear contacts and my eyes dry up pretty easily. What are your experiences with contact lenses, glasses or what not out there??

Any info would be ah-maze-ing! THANKS!!!! 8)
sunrae

Postby Generic Anonymity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Looks like Humboldt General Hospital's EMS Rescue team is helping out this year. I know in the past there have been long lines at the medical tent, but I'm assuming more severe situations move to the front of the line.

As far as dry eyes, well... invest in a really good pair of goggles, I guess. And if you find yourself out of the dust (when does this happen? I don't know) put in some saline drops.
We do get dust storms periodically, though it sounds like the playa surface will be pretty nice this year. Hope for the best and plan for the worst - in a full white out, your best bet is to hang tight where you are. Put on your goggles in advance, if possible, and consider a scarf/burnoose.

I hope more people can give advice, though, I've only been two years. Others are much more veteran.
My messenger in disguise
Makes up for such short goodbyes
You can't come home again
Each time it's different
And the yards around your feet
Fall away while you're asleep
Generic Anonymity

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Sunrae, "Contact Lenses on the Playa" thread had slipped to page #2 of this forum. :)
viewtopic.php?t=39256

If you check page 6 of the 2010 Survival Guide, you'll see the three medical clinic locations. Locations could shift slightly in 2011, you never know, so check back when the new guide is issued. Medical care is very accessible & yes, G.A., there is triage.

This is why the Survival Guide really is aptly named. Download the 16 pages or read the 22 links here:
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby sunrae » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:47 pm

thanks so much Generic Anonymity and Savannah! I must admit, I had looked at the survival guide but had only 'skimmed' it. I will need to sit down with a glass of wine and actually READ this thing! thanks!
sunrae

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:54 pm

You should have an exit plan if the environment gets to be too much for you.

If you're tenting it, make friends beforehand with known RV people who could be an emergency recovery assist. I was at a regional, got over-heated and an hour in a cool trailer saved my life. Had I been at B-Man, sure, I could have gone to medical, but hydrating in AC did the trick.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby sunrae » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:59 pm

thanks AntiM!!! I actually will be staying in an RV. I'm so thankful for that! Otherwise I don't know if my eyes would be able to handle it.
I just always MUST REMEMBER TO STAY HYDRATED!!!!!! hehe :-)
sunrae

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Start practicing hydration now, most of us are dehydrated to some degree all the tine.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Trishntek » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:33 pm

I wore contacts for decades before getting LASIK a few years back. Honestly? If you can deal with them, go with the glasses. Or possibly choose your opportunities to wear the contacts.

At least buy a large bottle of lens cleaning solution that is safe for eye wash. We always keep some in our first aid kit. If you are in the neighborhood 7:30 and B or C we provide comfort for most bodily issues.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:30 am

Medical is superb on the playa, within their limitations.

You are aware there is some sun?
You'll want a hat.
gyre

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:32 am

I can't imagine trying to wear contacts out there.

Some do.
gyre

Postby Trishntek » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:42 am

Back when soft contacts first came out, I was working road construction. Very dusty conditions plus pollens went flying as we stripped topsoil. I ended up with Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis (GPC) and was told I would never wear contacts again due to scarring.

When the thinner, "extended wear" lenses came out, I tried them and could do just fine. But in the dust, your eyes are much happier without the lenses making hamburger out of your eyelids.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:08 am

Our EMS people on the playa are great! I can speak from personal experience...but they are not a full service Emergency Room. As good as the folks from Humboldt General EMS Rescue Team may be, they won't be staffed like an actual hospital ER.

Anyone that has a life threatening situation will be stabilized to the best of what they have available in equipment to do so, but will have to be evacuated to the nearest ER which I believe is Reno...2-3 hours away. Keep in mind the price tag if that were you in the back of the ambulance or helicopter.

Don't want to scare anyone, but you need to know the risks so you can plan accordingly.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby ygmir » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 am

I wear contacts out there every year.
Some hints I've found useful.

lots of good drops. and, an acidic drop is good, since the playa is very alkaline.
changing contacts every day......whether throw away ones, or, saving them throughout the year in solution (what I do).
Take'em out at night, hydrate your eyes with drops before sleep.
STAY HYDRATED!!
Good goggles go a long way, wear em anytime the dust starts kicking up.
and, take "backup" glasses.

good luck.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby sunrae » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:25 am

Thank you so much for the great advice, everybody. Ygmir, that tip about saving contacts is a great idea. I'll have to start doing that up until the burn. I really hate wearing my glasses often because they give me a headache, and I have really long lashes that always rub up against any type of glasses... so I'm going to try my hardest to make lenses work. Do you have any recommendations for the acidic type of drop??

Thanks again!
sunrae

Postby TomServo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:35 am

gyre wrote:Medical is superb on the playa, within their limitations.

You'll want a hat.

YES they are! They saved my ass last year. Go with goggles, and keep in touch with your closest med tent. And, like AntiM said...Have an exit strategy, that doesnt involve a helicopter.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:52 am

There are prescription goggles.

You may need to trim your eyelashes, esp if you have used xalatan or lumigan.
gyre

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:57 am

If you fly, medical insurance can be very cheap.

Get trip insurance based on ticket cost alone with medical.
gyre

Postby Fufa » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Be careful with getting travel medical insurance. Most of the time they will not cover anything related to a pre-existing condition, so you could be on your own (in terms of cost) for any complications arising from having lupus.
Fufa

Postby Jax Dee » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:39 am

I have fibromyalgia, bipolar, narcolepsy, asthma, and 6 herniated disks in my spine with other spinal problems. I also wear contacts. This will be my third year. I have never had a problem on the playa, but I prepare like crazy for every eventuality.

Have all your meds with you and organized in a separate bag that you or your campmates can easily get to if you need them quick. Make sure your camp mates know your problems and needs and are prepared to help you out if needed. Always have a great suppot network set up for yourself.

Get a medical alert bracelet or have dog tags made up just for BM with your name, medical conditions, allergies, and camp name listed. I like the dog tags, I have some made up custom every year I go and wear them all the time in BRC just in case I was incapacitated and EMS needed to know who I was and where I belong.

Keep yourself hydrated at all times. Make sure you are getting salt too! Eat properly and give yourself plenty of down time to just rest.

Take glasses as back-up, take extra contacts and fluid. I have never had problems with my eyes while there. I carry gel eye drops with me, take my contacts out when I go to sleep, and wear goggles or sunglasses if needed.

Most importantly just have fun, don't schedule yourself or push yourself too hard. Rest when needed. And have an exit plan if you just need to end up leaving early.
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby Savannah » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Best 3rd post ever. Nice to meet you, Jax Dee.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ygmir » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:08 pm

sunrae wrote:Thank you so much for the great advice, everybody. Ygmir, that tip about saving contacts is a great idea. I'll have to start doing that up until the burn. I really hate wearing my glasses often because they give me a headache, and I have really long lashes that always rub up against any type of glasses... so I'm going to try my hardest to make lenses work. Do you have any recommendations for the acidic type of drop??

Thanks again!

well,
I make my own acidic eye drops, using boric acid.
you can google formulas......I'd not want to suggest a particular one, and have it not work for you. I made a formula, then worked it some, up and down, until it felt best in my eyes.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby delle » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Ok..... so what about pinhole (stenopeic) glasses.

I figured I might get a bunch of pairs....... no worries about breakage or loss (at around $2 bucks a pair), and they're pretty much universal so I could pass them around to others.

Which seems to me a great plan

As long as they wouldn't concentrate that huge ole playa sun and burn your retinas.

Anyone know much about these?
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Jax Dee » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:43 am

Savannah wrote:Best 3rd post ever. Nice to meet you, Jax Dee.

Thx! I'm really excited about this year and can't believe it's taken me this long to join eplaya. Looking forward to getting to meet some of you out there on the real playa!
Jax Dee

Postby jkisha » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:06 am

Jax Dee wrote:I have fibromyalgia, bipolar, narcolepsy, asthma, and 6 herniated disks in my spine with other spinal problems. I also wear contacts. This will be my third year. I have never had a problem on the playa, but I prepare like crazy for every eventuality.

Have all your meds with you and organized in a separate bag that you or your campmates can easily get to if you need them quick. Make sure your camp mates know your problems and needs and are prepared to help you out if needed. Always have a great suppot network set up for yourself.

Get a medical alert bracelet or have dog tags made up just for BM with your name, medical conditions, allergies, and camp name listed. I like the dog tags, I have some made up custom every year I go and wear them all the time in BRC just in case I was incapacitated and EMS needed to know who I was and where I belong.

Keep yourself hydrated at all times. Make sure you are getting salt too! Eat properly and give yourself plenty of down time to just rest.

Take glasses as back-up, take extra contacts and fluid. I have never had problems with my eyes while there. I carry gel eye drops with me, take my contacts out when I go to sleep, and wear goggles or sunglasses if needed.

Most importantly just have fun, don't schedule yourself or push yourself too hard. Rest when needed. And have an exit plan if you just need to end up leaving early.

How do you fit that much medical information on a dog tag???? :D :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby jkisha » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:09 am

TomServo wrote:
gyre wrote:Medical is superb on the playa, within their limitations.

You'll want a hat.

YES they are! They saved my ass last year. Go with goggles, and keep in touch with your closest med tent. And, like AntiM said...Have an exit strategy, that doesnt involve a helicopter.

I believe I read somewhere here that you can actually buy insurance for a medivac helicopter in case you need it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:16 am

ygmir wrote:
sunrae wrote:Thank you so much for the great advice, everybody. Ygmir, that tip about saving contacts is a great idea. I'll have to start doing that up until the burn. I really hate wearing my glasses often because they give me a headache, and I have really long lashes that always rub up against any type of glasses... so I'm going to try my hardest to make lenses work. Do you have any recommendations for the acidic type of drop??

Thanks again!

well,
I make my own acidic eye drops, using boric acid.
you can google formulas......I'd not want to suggest a particular one, and have it not work for you. I made a formula, then worked it some, up and down, until it felt best in my eyes.

I had no idea you used contacts, Ygmir. Who'd a thunk it? :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby LostinReno » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:54 pm

jkisha wrote:
Jax Dee wrote:I have fibromyalgia, bipolar, narcolepsy, asthma, and 6 herniated disks in my spine with other spinal problems. I also wear contacts. This will be my third year. I have never had a problem on the playa, but I prepare like crazy for every eventuality.

I'm on a bunch of meds for no thyroid, anxiety and throw in that I'm deathly allergic to penicillin. I bought one of these about a month ago and love it. Much better than the stupid medic alert....and colors, lots of colors!
http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Jax Dee » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:56 pm

jkisha wrote:

LOL. I actually use a combo of items cause I have so much to list. I have a medic alert charm bracelet, one charm lists my problems and allergies, one charm has my name. And every year for BM I have dog tags made with my name, camp name, camp location, and emergency contact. I would rather be over prepared than sorry later.
Jax Dee

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Jax Dee,

You are awesome! And SO squared away!! I hope we get to meet you in person at the Meet 'N Greet Thursday, 6 PM, Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro.

Drinks on Doc Pyro!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Jax Dee » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:38 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Jax Dee,

You are awesome! And SO squared away!! I hope we get to meet you in person at the Meet 'N Greet Thursday, 6 PM, Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro.

Drinks on Doc Pyro!

My playa scheduling usually sucks (whose doesn't?) but I am aiming to be there Thurs and get to meet some of you in person. Gin is my poison of choice, I'll try to bring some to share :)
Jax Dee

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks