Black Rock Desert without BRC

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Black Rock Desert without BRC

Postby Leo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm curious what happens at Black Rock Desert when BRC isn't there. Can an individual drive out in the middle of the desert and boon-dock? Does an individual need to get a camping permit? I think it would be a kick to camp in the middle of Black Rock Desert during June to experience the vastness without the noise and crowds and possibly enjoy moderate daytime temperatures.
Best Regards,
Leo
Leo

Postby phil » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:36 pm

You'll be surprised at how many people are out there. Google
fourth of juplaya
for another time when people show up.

Individuals do not need permits; groups do, but I don't know what the number is that triggers the permit requirement.

Stay safe and have fun.
phil

Postby Trishntek » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:41 pm

BLM land is OUR land. Just like hiking through a forest or wandering on grasslands. You may find a ton of mud in June tho'.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah, check weather vis-a-vis playa condiitons. Parts of the playa can become quicksand.

http://blackrockdesert.org/friends/
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby hookahdude » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Going out to the Black Rock when there is nothing going on is something I highly recommend to anybody who can do it. I spent weekends out there with DPW and sometimes just solo and it is an amazing place. Total, I probably spent close to a month's worth of time out there before my first burn.

Everyone has their favorite spot, and I can honestly say, the Black Rock is mine.

If you go out into the middle of it on a solo expedition make sure you have some form of light on your vehicle, camp spot. Just because you are alone, doesn't mean that some jackass isnt out there driving at 60 mph at 3am with his lights off on a full moon night.. Take it from one who knows.

If you are there a night when the winds are low, you can lay on the ground and look into infinity in complete silence. That is what unplugged really is.
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Trishntek » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:02 pm

That must be awesome! I remember those kinds of nights in two places. The midst of the high desert in Wyoming and the Top of the World Pass in Yukon, Canada. Silence is deafening!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby TomServo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Unless you have an SUV or Truck (with good tires), stay off of Jungo Rd! If you do... It starts between Empire and Gerlach, off 447. The entrance onto the playa is just past the frog pond. Can't miss it..will be near a dump and surrounded by trees. A burner died, after flipping his vehicle on that road, so be careful.

You should definitely google 4th of Juplaya. Even in July, their are patches of mud that you can get stuck in...just sayin
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Risky » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:28 pm

I also recommend the Friends of Black Rock / High Rock.
http://blackrockdesert.org/friends/
Risky

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:38 pm

I've been out there in December. Only drove a few dozen yards out and walked around, spongy ground. Cold too, bitter wind. No camping!
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby hookahdude » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:57 pm

I was out there in March - it was cold as hell with the winds whipping cutting through my coat, making me feel brittle. We had just selected the Veteran's Memorial Park in Fernley as my dad's final resting place and I felt compelled to go north to the Balck Rock to clear my mind. I walked about 100 feet into the playa and it felt like I had entered another world. No sound but the wind, and no feeling other than the cold - it was very cleansing. I went back to the car and told my son to get out and walk out to where I was and just experience the desolation and honesty of the place. When he came back to the car all he said, very quietly, was - "That's powerful."

On a lighter note - Jungo road is brutal because of the fact that it seems to be coated with very sharp rock fragments that really enjoy causing flats, blind corners, and moron's doing 70 mph on a surface that u probably should not exceed 35 on.

Been on Jungo once, that was enough. 447 is the way I know. Avoid dark patches, "Lake Lahontan" moves with the wind and YOU WILL GET HOSED if you are not careful. Lake Lahonton is the remaining rain and meltoff water that scoots around the Playa until it is all evaporated or absorbed. Where it goes, vehicles go axle deep. I have discovered that if you gauge it just right though and hit a narrow part of it doing 70mph in a 72' VW bus that you can hydroplane just far enough so u don't sink....

Heh.... in playa veritas.
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Playa+Tom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:11 am

Jungo road is not more or less dangerous than many other roads in the area. Recently I assisted fire and law enforcement in locating a serious roll over accident on Sand Pass. This is the third serious accident I have seen in the area. When driving the unpaved back roads be aware of their hazards.
The Black Rock Desert now is very wet and is impassable. The basic rule of driving on the playa is, if your vehicle is kicking up dust you are probably OK. if not you are in danger of getting stuck.
Friends of Black Rock High Rock is a cool organization that puts on several events every year including tours, camping trips and restoration projects, they are worth joining.
During the other 51 weeks of the year the playa is used for a lot of things. In 1997 Andy Green set the land speed record on the playa at 763 mph. Amature rocketeers us the playa for launches. The Forth of Juplaya is a big unorganized party on Independence Day.
On a typical day there will be only a few others on the playa and it is likely you will not even see each other.
Playa+Tom

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:29 am

These guys launch big fucking rockets in the playa:
http://www.aeropac.org/
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks