Care to help a stranger out? Very simple!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Care to help a stranger out? Very simple!

Postby _happinessis_ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm doing a project for my writing class on festivals. I would normally never do this but my prof is an old deadhead and he encouraged it.

Could you answer this simple survey? There isn't exactly much reliable literature on the topic out there.

I tried a bunch of different ways to hyperlink...don't know why it won't let me. But here's the link anything. Thanks!!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QLC23MC
_happinessis_

Postby Sham » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:10 pm

That was one of the most dreadful and bland surveys I have ever seen. You need to give your professor a dope slap. What is he trying to teach you anyway. If you want to get the real answers, buy a ticket and see what's up for yourself. :roll:
Sham

Postby _happinessis_ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:20 pm

[quote="Shambala"]That was one of the most dreadful and bland surveys I have ever seen. You need to give your professor a dope slap. What is he trying to teach you anyway. If you want to get the real answers, buy a ticket and see what's up for yourself. :roll:[/quote]
it's supposed to be bland. If I were to write an intricate survey with lots of questions, no one would answer it.

Why you so mad about my survey?
_happinessis_

Postby Elderberry » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:25 pm

The questions are a bit...I'll just say lacking, though we're probably judging from a burning man perspective. There are a lot of festivals out there. Renaissance Faires, music festivals, etc.

Maybe we could suggest some better questions for his survey that would help him with his project?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Most people don't like being studied as if they were specimens. Don't they cover that in your class? Plus, we get a lot of people wanting to do papers on burning man. You might have better luck if you found the regional burningman organization near where you live and went to one of the meet-ups, talked to people directly, and handed them a card with the url. It would be showing some sort of good faith and effort on your part. And don't tell me that there's an effort in creating that survey and interpreting it. Cause you'd have to do that anyway.
And, much as I hate to quote the ten principals, there is a burner preference for those who do over those who merely "spectate." And watching us (like so many animals in the zoo!) and then writing a paper doesn't count as doing for most people in this crowd.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 pm

Actually, this board is a great resource for your project. If you spent your time reading the posts here, you'd probably get all the information you need for your project without having to ask a single question.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby _happinessis_ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:34 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"]Most people don't like being studied as if they were specimens. Don't they cover that in your class? Plus, we get a lot of people wanting to do papers on burning man. You might have better luck if you found the regional burningman organization near where you live and went to one of the meet-ups, talked to people directly, and handed them a card with the url. It would be showing some sort of good faith and effort on your part. And don't tell me that there's an effort in creating that survey and interpreting it. Cause you'd have to do that anyway.
And, much as I hate to quote the ten principals, there is a burner preference for those who do over those who merely "spectate." And watching us (like so many animals in the zoo!) and then writing a paper doesn't count as doing for most people in this crowd.[/quote]

woah, woah. This is not going to be a presentation as a spectator. A lot of it will be first person perspective. I'm just trying to get statistics which is why the questions are so basic. I don't see why I have to do that in person if the internet is at my disposal.
_happinessis_

Postby Elorrum » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:46 pm

really? do you go wild, what drugs do you take? This shows a tremendous bias about what you think Burning Man is, and for many people there you are far off the mark. Do a little more research. Don't be surprised if someone here calls you a lurking LEO.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Elorrum wrote:Don't be surprised if someone here calls you a lurking LEO.

quelle surprise- that was my first thought on seeing that the survey boils down to "do you party" and "what do you party with".

Definitely not a poll I'd bother with.

_happinessis_: spend about a week reading the boards, formulate some real questions, and some people might answer them.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby _happinessis_ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:08 pm

[quote="Eric"][quote="Elorrum"]Don't be surprised if someone here calls you a lurking LEO.[/quote]

quelle surprise- that was my first thought on seeing that the survey boils down to "do you party" and "what do you party with".

Definitely not a poll I'd bother with.

_happinessis_: spend about a week reading the boards, formulate some real questions, and [i]some[/i] people might answer them.[/quote]
there's 1 single question about drugs, dude. It would be biased NOT to include that question.
_happinessis_

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 pm

You have 10 questions.

#1-4 are basic info for participant information, but not questions about the event itself.

That leaves 6 actual questions that could be about any festival, since none of them are even remotely Burning Man specific. Of those 6, 3 can be interpreted either directly ("have you consumed"...) or indirectly (questions about going "wild", a term open to many interpretation but definitely leaning towards partying) as being about drugs.

That would be a full 50% of the few actual questions you bothered to trot out appearing to deal with drugs, whether or not you meant them to appear that way.

Also- go to your profile & enable "BBCode"- your quotes will show up correctly.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby _happinessis_ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:39 pm

actually, the topic is about the human desire to seek out 'wild', so the wild question has only a small portion to do with drugs. I was referring more to social cues being dropped, dancing wild, wearing wild things(or nothing at all), etc. of course drugs play a part in that, but I was actually HOPING people would say things other than drugs. Not my fault if they don't and that's what my survey's for.

Also, like I said, there isn't much out there in terms of festival statistics/demographics so that's why the first few questions are just as, if not more important than the last few.
_happinessis_

Postby Isotopia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:41 pm

but my prof is an old deadhead and he encouraged it.

Sounds like a comfortably tenured blatherjaw.

Cheesus, consider getting a new adviser and tell him to lay off his tinctured morning chai.

BTW, we don't do your homework for you.
Isotopia

Postby _happinessis_ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:42 pm

actually, the topic is about the human desire to seek out 'wild', so the wild question has only a small portion to do with drugs. I was referring more to social cues being dropped, dancing wild, wearing wild things(or nothing at all), etc. of course drugs play a part in that, but I was actually HOPING people would say things other than drugs. Not my fault if they don't and that's what my survey's for.

Also, like I said, there isn't much out there in terms of festival statistics/demographics so that's why the first few questions are just as, if not more important than the last few.
_happinessis_

Postby _happinessis_ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:43 pm

[quote="Isotopia"][quote]but my prof is an old deadhead and he encouraged it.
[/quote]

Sounds like a comfortably tenured blatherjaw.

Cheesus, consider getting a new adviser and tell him to lay off his tinctured morning chai.

BTW, we don't do your homework for you.[/quote]
how is this doing my homework for me? You're taking a damn 2 minute survey so I can get demographics to write a paper.

I don't know what kinda school you went to dude, but a message board isn't exactly capable of doing my work.
_happinessis_

Postby C187 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Honestly some of the questions are too open ended with the terminology, and they seem to indicate bias on what constitutes wild. On the other hand, if you would of spent some time poking around the site, you would of found a world of data about the people who come to the event. Lastly, the inhabitants of eplaya is a narrow, slanted, and contaminated pool. Likely not fit for any good statistics. Or at least that's what I think.
C187

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:54 pm

C187 wrote:Honestly some of the questions are too open ended with the terminology, and they seem to indicate bias on what constitutes wild. On the other hand, if you would of spent some time poking around the site, you would of found a world of data about the people who come to the event. Lastly, the inhabitants of eplaya is a narrow, slanted, and contaminated pool. Likely not fit for any good statistics. Or at least that's what I think.

...narrow, slanted, and contaminated pool?? :shock: :? :( :cry:
JK
Elderberry

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 pm

C187 wrote:Lastly, the inhabitants of eplaya is a narrow, slanted, and contaminated pool.

I'm not slanted. I'm bent.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby C187 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Eric wrote:I'm not slanted. I'm bent.

O.o - Well darling why didn't you tell me that.
C187

Postby gyre » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:08 pm

Burning man isn't a festival, it's a cult.
The fact that it has ten commandments should tip you to that, although most people don't sign on because they need a new religion.
The fact that one of the commandments is identical to Jeep® and Range Rover® should be ignored.

My experience with gathering information in a social group convinces me that most people are not motivated enough to fill out anything, even when it is in their own interest.
I collected basic info for a directory and most people had to be collared and asked to write down their contact info in person.
Other info could be included, but wasn't required.
Very few people would respond on their own.
One of the two people that started the organization sent me a full page typed,and we had some long phone converstions as well.
This was a very atypical response.

Some people were suspicious or averse to being included, but this was extremely rare.
Inertia was the overwhelming response.

Information gathered without direct followup by burning man will be extremely self selective, as your survey response will be.
gyre

Postby TomServo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:11 pm

To answer #9...alcohol.

and Im an anarchist if that helps your survey.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:15 pm

I'm contaminated!

Honestly, you could interview 100 burners and get 100 impretions of what BM is.
It's all of those things and none of those things, and the next 100 would say the first 100 are full of shit.

No way to catagorize it so no servey will serve.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:16 am

C187 wrote:
Eric wrote:I'm not slanted. I'm bent.

O.o - Well darling why didn't you tell me that.

Honey, if you haven't figured it out by now....

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:03 am

33+? No one noticed the age bias?

Poorly written questions, weighted to show whatever your concept of wild is. Your prof has failed to teach you how to write a solid, scientific survey. I could do better left handed, full of opiates and lying in a hospital bed, which I am.

I consume bacon. Feh. Not even a choice.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:19 am

There isn't exactly much reliable literature on the topic out there.

And that survey surely isn't creating any. What's your hypothesis for your paper/project?

"Research chemicals," that's a new one. Interesting how vague and generalized all the other questions are, while that one gets so specific.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby phil » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:39 am

like I said, there isn't much out there in terms of festival statistics/demographics

I'm sorry to say this is not the case with Burning Man, which has statistical surveys done on site for years and reported online, not to mention books like "Theater in a Crowded Fire," by long-time Burner Lee Gilmore.

I'm afraid you've stumbled across a group of Burners that aren't entirely sympathetic to being asked generic questions which may have some relevance to raves and such which are aimed more at high school or college kids, but not so much to Burners.

I've read your survey, and I can't figure out what you're trying to find out. How are you going to analyze your responses? How do your questions relate to a writing class?

Contrary to Shambala, I don't think it's your old deadhead professor who needs a dope slap.

I understand your survey to be generic for festivals, whatever you think they are, and not BM specifically. I wish you better luck elsewhere.
phil

Postby gyre » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:45 am

Isn't it obvious, Phil?

It's really about examining the subject's reaction to poorly formulated surveys.
Not really about burning man at all.
gyre

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:53 am

On the upside, I got to watch boys flirt in this thread.
Savannah

Postby gyre » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:57 am

gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:03 am

Savannah wrote:On the upside, I got to watch boys flirt in this thread.

lol
gyre

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks