post for a sign on playa

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

post for a sign on playa

Postby xhoosier » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:39 am

I am making a camp sign for 2011 and need to set a couple of metal post (1 7/8) into the ground to hold it up. The playa is hard but can I drive these metal post into the ground maybe 3 feet easily with a post driver or sledge hammer or do I need something else to do this? I know i can dig a hole and then bury the bottom but these tend to be a little less stable and I hate to dig holes on the playa.

any input appreciated.
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Trishntek » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:53 am

How big is your sign? What is the material and weight of the sign?

We have heavy-duty banners for our signs. They are heavier than the best HD tarp material and we just attach our big one to the shade structure. Our smaller ones are suspended between two 5' T posts pounded in about 16".

If you really want to use that pole, I would suggest using a T post into the ground, put the pole over the T post and guy-line it in 3 directions with eyebolts about half-way up the pole.

After re-reading the OP, I realized you want TWO posts. If that's the case, you would only need to guy line to the front and back. I would not trust a sign over 6' high without guy lines or bracing on the playa. There are simply too many things it could fall on to take shortcuts.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:53 am

you can drive posts, if they're sturdy and you have a driver of some sort.
3' may be wishful thinking, manually, though. and remember, you still have to get it out.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:11 am

Open one end, closed on the other, use is self explanatory for pounding in posts. you can make out of pipe easily.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Trishntek » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:29 am

Even using my post pounder which looks exactly like that, I can only get a T post about 18" into the playa. But that is more than enough for my needs.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby TomServo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:15 am

Trishntek wrote:Even using my post pounder which looks exactly like that, I can only get a T post about 18" into the playa. But that is more than enough for my needs.

Thats what I use...the big question...already asked...is how big is your sign?
T posts are pretty solid for anything under 8 foot....just a guestimate.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

thanks

Postby xhoosier » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:54 pm

the sign is 42 long by 32 high but seems to keep getting heavier as I add things to it. I just wanted to make sure I had a stable post in place because of the wind. I am also planning on having it 8 feet up to keep it out of the way and also it will have a dry erase board below for camp activities. So height is a factor. I saw these post drivers and will most likely get 10 foot post to use. Now lets see what I actually end up doing. I only have 5 months to figure it out. :)

FYI, sign is multiple layers of plexi glass, and plastic frameswith lights in between with a picture frame around it. It just keeps growing.

thanks for the advice
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:56 pm

I would add some diagonal cross-braces and anchor them to the ground as well.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby TomServo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:26 am

If you are gonna use fence tubing as the sign post, id drive a slightly smaller OD pipe, at least 1.5 feet in the ground..and simply slip the sign post over the grounded pipe..and use guylines to keep the sign from spinning and as additional anchoring. I'm not sure, such a large sign could be secured using T posts..I could be wrong though.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Sham » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:29 am

Sham

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:17 pm

TomServo wrote:If you are gonna use fence tubing as the sign post, id drive a slightly smaller OD pipe, at least 1.5 feet in the ground..and simply slip the sign post over the grounded pipe..and use guylines to keep the sign from spinning and as additional anchoring. I'm not sure, such a large sign could be secured using T posts..I could be wrong though.

I agree with this. I pound in a concrete stake about a foot, slip a piece of plywood with a hole in it over the top of the stake and then put the pole on top of that. The plywood keeps the upright tube from working it's way in to the playa and that makes it so you don't have to be constantly tightening the guy lines.Image
Available at any big building supply store.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks