Fireworks

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Fireworks

Postby StickyChron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Are fireworks allowed to be set off in a safe and clear area away from the camps? I couldn't find anything in the first timers guides ect.

Thanks in advance.
StickyChron

Postby Turnip » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 pm

Absolutely not.
They're not even allowed in the city.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:46 pm

It's due to the fire risk (so many tents).

But there's a pretty good fireworks show at the end of the week. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby StickyChron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:57 pm

Anyone know how to get a hold of the people who shoot the fireworks? I'd love to add to the firepower so to speak, even if I didn't necessarily get to light them off myself.
StickyChron

Postby hookahdude » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:13 am

The pyro crew is pretty well set up. We are talking hundreds of pounds of fireworks in the Man. Unless you have alreadt purchased them - save your cash for gas - you will likely need it the way things are heading!
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby AntiM » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:18 am

I have holes in my koi banners from an asshat setting off fireworks in our village.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:20 am

That must have been exciting. :roll:
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Mojojita » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Just ask Doc Pyro - who had the happy experience of donating to the local court system as a result of his fireworks.
Mojojita

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

I am a witness. They will handcuff you and drive you away to your camp to get your ID and credit card (of which they will drain $600...at least in 2008 that's what they drained) and then you are squarely on their radar. Even though I was in the open playa, away from all tents and in no way could injure anybody (besides myself), they still track you down.

Let me give you one more piece of advice: Never do two stupid things at the same time. If you are drinking, don't drive; if you are setting off fireworks, don't have an open container or drugs on you; if you're doing drugs, don't do them on the open playa during a BLM training exercise. The list is endless.

Sadly, most of us don't just do one stupid thing at a time, but rather two, three, or four. And we wonder how we get caught.

Or so I've heard.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Savannah » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Wow, Doc. Quite a deterrent . . .

Hey StickyChron. I don't know for sure if fireworks are covered in the First Timer's Guide, but it is covered in the Survival Guide linked from that guide. Download the 2010 Survival Guide here:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html

If you do a "search" of the Survival Guide pdf, page 12 yields a small blurb at the bottom right about fireworks. The fine for unauthorized use is now $615.

However--should you want to create authorized pyrotechnic art, contact pyro@burningman.com ASAP.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Hello StickyChron,

1.4G fireworks can be used at BM if they are part of an art project such as the Man or other individual projects. Each year there are several projects that involve pyro. In order to do this yourself you would need to submit an application for your project. The Fire Art Safety Team would look it over and their lead Pyro person would contact you. You will need to demonstrate that you know what you are doing. You will need to supply them with a list or part numbers or names of the products you wish to use. If you are approved they will have one of their team members supervise your show.
There is another group that does a lot of pyro on the Playa. They are called Black Rock FX. They have done shows such as Crude Awakening, Raygun Gothic Rocketship, Megatropolis etc. I am a member of BRFX and if you have experience or wish to learn, please contact me off list. We may have one or two other shows this year and we always can use qualified help. Be aware there is a reason it is called firework, not firefun. Setting up a show in desert is a lot of work. There is a lot more to it than just lighting a fuse, in fact almost everything you see on the Man or the BRFX shows if fired electrically. BRFX is comprised of professional pyro operators from all parts of the country. The team that does the pyro for the Man is a close knit team that does not take on new people that they have not worked with in the past. Getting into the pyro field is truly an apprentice type learning experience.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:13 pm

How about sparklers? 8)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Doug, these bastards even frown on Piccolo Petes. And sparklers are even worse. I swear. Some shroomed-out ranger said, "Well, you can't have sparklers <laugh> because they might, uh, set some shit like a tent or yurt <laugh> on, uh, fire. Yeah. That's it. Fire. Fire? Where!"
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby TomServo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:42 pm

Was out at that thing around 4th of July, and a sheriff rolled up on us, where we were camped. Didn't give a shit about the AK-47s, AR-15s, sawed off shotguns and multitude of handguns....but wanted to make sure we had our fireworks permit.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby graidawg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 am

TomServo wrote:Was out at that thing around 4th of July, and a sheriff rolled up on us, where we were camped. Didn't give a shit about the AK-47s, AR-15s, sawed off shotguns and multitude of handguns....but wanted to make sure we had our fireworks permit.

? seriously. Ah man i so have to go there. I want me a big ass gun to kill some cars with. preferably a gun on a car so i can laugh maniacally while bieng driven around!

I so need to have an excuse to use my maniacal laugh
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby TomServo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 am

graidawg wrote:
TomServo wrote:Was out at that thing around 4th of July, and a sheriff rolled up on us, where we were camped. Didn't give a shit about the AK-47s, AR-15s, sawed off shotguns and multitude of handguns....but wanted to make sure we had our fireworks permit.

? seriously. Ah man i so have to go there. I want me a big ass gun to kill some cars with. preferably a gun on a car so i can laugh maniacally while bieng driven around!

I so need to have an excuse to use my maniacal laugh

how about Elmo and Barney?

we put an explosive target on Barneys tummy...I hit it.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby graidawg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:46 am

swwwwweeeeeeeet

i wanna kill cuddley toys too. but i want to do it with a ridiculously over powered weopon. something where the bullets are bigger than my hand.
(i have little hands which makes me popular with lesbians for some reason)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby StickyChron » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:13 am

[quote="Dustdevil"]Hello StickyChron,

1.4G fireworks can be used at BM if they are part of an art project such as the Man or other individual projects. Each year there are several projects that involve pyro. In order to do this yourself you would need to submit an application for your project. The Fire Art Safety Team would look it over and their lead Pyro person would contact you. You will need to demonstrate that you know what you are doing. You will need to supply them with a list or part numbers or names of the products you wish to use. If you are approved they will have one of their team members supervise your show.
There is another group that does a lot of pyro on the Playa. They are called Black Rock FX. They have done shows such as Crude Awakening, Raygun Gothic Rocketship, Megatropolis etc. I am a member of BRFX and if you have experience or wish to learn, please contact me off list. We may have one or two other shows this year and we always can use qualified help. Be aware there is a reason it is called firework, not firefun. Setting up a show in desert is a lot of work. There is a lot more to it than just lighting a fuse, in fact almost everything you see on the Man or the BRFX shows if fired electrically. BRFX is comprised of professional pyro operators from all parts of the country. The team that does the pyro for the Man is a close knit team that does not take on new people that they have not worked with in the past. Getting into the pyro field is truly an apprentice type learning experience.[/quote]

Thank you for all the information. While it would be awesome to try to get my hands on some stuff filled with blackpowder, I'm sure there lots of people more qualified. I really just wanted to shoot off some cakes, mortars and some rockets, but I don't want a fine.

Thanks to everyone for the input and informative info. :idea:
StickyChron

Postby Bluemandrew » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Dustdevil wrote: The team that does the pyro for the Man is a close knit team that does not take on new people that they have not worked with in the past.

Gee how radically inclusive of them.
Bluemandrew

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Remember this topic? and the signal rocket that came down into my monkey hut!
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=37421&highlight=
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Bluemandrew wrote:
Dustdevil wrote: The team that does the pyro for the Man is a close knit team that does not take on new people that they have not worked with in the past.

It is quite obvious that you have never worked with explosives and do not hold a BATF license. Everyone that works in this industry is willing to take on new people. When we allow new poeple onto a show site, it is usually a simple show that has an easy set up. The Man show is neither simple nor easy.
Dustdevil

Postby Bluemandrew » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Dustdevil wrote:
Bluemandrew wrote:

It is quite obvious that you have never worked with explosives and do not hold a BATF license. Everyone that works in this industry is willing to take on new people. When we allow new poeple onto a show site, it is usually a simple show that has an easy set up. The Man show is neither simple nor easy.

Correct on both counts as you know already. But you said they don't take on new people, not that they don't take on new people for the Man show.
Bluemandrew

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:21 pm

That is because the OP was discussing the Man show. He wished to assist or at the very least add to the show. It is actually a really nice offer, but it is not practical. Working with their crew is out for the reasons I stated. Adding more product to show is also impractical. The show will be ematched and choreographed before they get to the Playa. They will design the show, purchase the product and do the initial wiring before they get to the desert. It is not about being exclusive. Again we love new people, at the right time and place.
Dustdevil

Postby Super Evil Brian » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Bluemandrew wrote:

Dude, they're working with EXPLOSIVES. To be honest I don't mind certain things being left to close-knit professionals like airline pilots, civil engineers, explosives/demolition people.

Now, if they kept people out of their hula hooping or blind-folded lawn jart tossing, then I would be pretty grumpy.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Elorrum » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Bluemandrew wrote:

apparently they also camp in the outskirts among all the other campers. There was a gated compound on J street last year near 5:00. yes a compound. they had someone always at the gate, vehicles went in and out. they shooed away loiterers, or people who tried to wander in. They said they were part of the pyrotechnical crew, but didn't want it widely known. They pretty much demanded that music be turned off so they could sleep. I didn't really like having that sort of vibe, or worry about explosives being stored right in the camping areas. Maybe it was all a myth, but if it wasn't true, then they sure were assholes for camping the way they did.
Elorrum

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:56 pm

I can't speak to their camping habits or their camp, but you are correct about the location. I can assure you that absolutely no live product is kept in the camp. The LLC brings in an approved portable magazine and all the product is stored within site of the LEO camp. Can't have better security.
Dustdevil

Postby StickyChron » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Dustdevil wrote:That is because the OP was discussing the Man show. He wished to assist or at the very least add to the show. It is actually a really nice offer, but it is not practical. Working with their crew is out for the reasons I stated. Adding more product to show is also impractical. The show will be ematched and choreographed before they get to the Playa. They will design the show, purchase the product and do the initial wiring before they get to the desert. It is not about being exclusive. Again we love new people, at the right time and place.

I am in no way offended that you guys don't want my 8 oz rockets and 40 dollar mortars. :lol: :lol:

I honestly had no idea what the firework show was like, if it was a "shoot your own" kinda deal and everyone just goes crazy or what. I'm glad to hear a few things you posted actually. One, that everything sounds super professionally done and safe, and two, that the show isn't everyone just going crazy and shooting their powder off at once. :lol:
StickyChron

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:16 pm

Bluemandrew wrote:

You're right. This year I demand that the youngest 10% of Kidsville campers do the fireworks show!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby akmojo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Sadly, most of us don't just do one stupid thing at a time, but rather two, three, or four. And we wonder how we get caught.

Or so I've heard.[/quote]

thats only because we are professionals Doc....
think big and dare to fail
akmojo

Postby Bluemandrew » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:41 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Bluemandrew wrote:

You're right. This year I demand that the youngest 10% of Kidsville campers do the fireworks show!

See now someone has the right idea. We could just strap a bunch of roman candles to the little ones and let them run around the crowd.
Bluemandrew

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks