Gifting Question

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Gifting Question

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:19 am

Being a leather carver, for my first burn I was planning to make some leather necklaces or possibly key fobs if I can source enough carabiners within my rapidly dwindling budget (useful even for those who don't appreciate the art portion).

Since I don't want to commit any Faux Pas (sp?), I was wondering if it is common for hand made gifts to be signed or have a camp name or something like that (non commercial of course).

Since I have a memory like a sieve, I like the idea. Something like that would help me remember the person who gifted it once I'm back in default land, but If the community has strong feelings about this I would hesitate to do it.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:29 am

:D

Welcome!

Good question, such as birgins should ask.

Practically all physical gifts carry the camp's name. If you don't have a camp name, make up something suitable. It is also common to put the year on the item. Some of us collect pendants and such that are gifted. Others do not bother. Make sure whatever it is does not require a pocket to carry, since many outfits do not pockets have. A simple string that turns any pendant or key fob into a necklace at least temporarily, will do very nicely.

That said, keep in mind that the best gifts are often not things. Not to denigrate your handiwork -- craftsmanship is highly valued among this bunch -- but acts like singing somebody a song, or helping them set up a tent, are also valuable and appreciated gifts in Black Rock City.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Re: Gifting Question

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:39 am

Drawingablank wrote:Being a leather carver, for my first burn I was planning to make some leather necklaces or possibly key fobs if I can source enough carabiners within my rapidly dwindling budget (useful even for those who don't appreciate the art portion).

Since I don't want to commit any Faux Pas (sp?), I was wondering if it is common for hand made gifts to be signed or have a camp name or something like that (non commercial of course).

Since I have a memory like a sieve, I like the idea. Something like that would help me remember the person who gifted it once I'm back in default land, but If the community has strong feelings about this I would hesitate to do it.

It is common for gifts to have some sort of "So and So Camp Burning Man 2011" moniker on them, but completely not necessary; it's really up to you.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby TomServo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:05 am

Pendants are good....something that won't get dropped. And yes, helping a person with a tent...or bicycle is a great gift...but if you have a skill, gift it! Don't just randomly gift though..make it personal..IMHO those are the best gifts.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:17 am

Little Flower did not put "Barbarian Camp 2009" on her necklaces. They were a joy to share and added greatly to the camp's experience.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C187 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:23 am

I've seen pins with an individuals playa name on it before, and as others have said it's common to see camp names and years. Wouldn't worry too much, sounds like a fun idea.
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 am

Camp names, name of the event or city, or a symbol of the man + year (or theme) are the most common accents on jewelry, but you can do whatever you want. There's no need to make up a camp name if you don't have one--a camp name is not expected--but if you want to, sure. :) I do have pendants with just the symbol of the man with no year, which I especially understand if the year doesn't look right with the art (though in this specific case it's easy to remember when I got it) or in another case, a clay "karma cleaner" pendant, painted and glazed and fired in a kiln--very decorative, with BRC & year carved into the back.

I like Elliot's suggestion of attaching a string or cord or similar if the gift has none, even if it would not normally require it.

(One year, someone at camp brought a whole spool of narrow cord and shared it around--great idea.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks, I was planning to include our camp logo and now will include the year as well.

These were planned as special, personal gifts.

As for less personal gifting, our camp is planning to bring a large sculpted incense burner thingy and 10,000 incense sticks. Visitors would be encouraged to light one and take a few. Is this a sound plan? Or do you think there may be issues (moop, etc...).

Since we are only a 3 person camp this would of necessity be unattended most of the time.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am

Drawingablank wrote:Thanks, I was planning to include our camp logo and now will include the year as well.

These were planned as special, personal gifts.

As for less personal gifting, our camp is planning to bring a large sculpted incense burner thingy and 10,000 incense sticks. Visitors would be encouraged to light one and take a few. Is this a sound plan? Or do you think there may be issues (moop, etc...).

Since we are only a 3 person camp this would of necessity be unattended most of the time.

Couple of things: Be sure to plan what you're going to do when you leave camp with that incense burner thingy....you can't leave it smoldering unattended at all. There are lots of really, really dry tents out there. Flying ash is no bueno when unattended.

Second thing: Where do you plan to camp, as I'd like to make sure I'm on the complete opposite side of the city from your sickly sweet hippie camp!

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:05 am

Drawingablank wrote:As for less personal gifting, our camp is planning to bring a large sculpted incense burner thingy and 10,000 incense sticks. Visitors would be encouraged to light one and take a few. Is this a sound plan? Or do you think there [s]may[/s] will be issues (moop, etc...).

Please don't bring this- like LoR said all those little wandering incense sticks are going to be nothing but moop & a fire hazard.

There is no "less personal gifting"- the idea is share of yourself with a person because it's personal, otherwise why bother?

Bringing "something" to give away because you feel obligated to give something away is the kind of thinking that's making gifting become more and more a reflex action and less and less an act of kindness.

Example: my camp gives out a newspaper, that's our whole reason to be; however I personally don't give out more than 5 or 6 physical gifts to people the whole week. However, I'll help out, I talk to people, I assist in their camps, I do all sorts of things that mean something, but just handing out crap to hand it.... makes me want to scream.

Leave the incense at home, bring smiles & a willingness to jump in & help people. That's really all you need.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby jkisha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:10 am

All the above. And remember, gifting is not a necessary requirement.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 am

Those frail French letters "faux pas" degrade rather quickly when submitted to the wind, dust and sun, as long as there are no moopy bits left behind and as long as it is given freely.
Interpretation: Don't freak out about it.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:58 am

I admit that 10,000 sticks of burning incense as gifts seems like a fire risk and not terribly personal. Better 10 or 20 personalized gifts--and you'll remember each person you give them to--than 1/5 of the population walking around with the same hunk o' burnin' moop.
Savannah

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Hmmm, glad I asked because I need to rethink this now. I really would prefer not to have to worry about crap like this while there.

Although I've never seen an incense stick ash stay lit for more than a fraction of a second, I would not want to chance ruining anyones burn (including mine) if it did.

Since the incense holder portion is not yet made it will be easy enough to just make it a sculpture lol.

LOR - I'm not sure how burning incense classifes someone as a hippie - incense are pretty mainstream these days, but we will likely be camping somewhere between center and the fence and between 10 and 2 so just avoid that area and you'll be out of range of our "sickly sweet hippie camp".

At any rate thanks all for weighing in on this - the incense idea has been shelved.

And I want to reassure those who have mentioned it that I'm not obsessing about the gifting - I do understand that helping and giving of yourself is far more valuable than trinkets (although trinkets can be fun too). The incense idea was more to add some interactivity to the camp, but it apparently was not a great idea so we now have to come up with a plan B.

Just glad I asked opinions before showing up with this.

Drawingablank

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Drawingablank draws some pretty creative ideas for gifting. Well done!

I would skip the incense sticks not so much from a fire hazard standpoint, but as a real Moop hazard. If only 10% of those sticks gets dropped on the ground, that's a thousand little sticks that have to be picked up.

Two years ago, someone made little leather wrist bands with the BM logo and year on them. Pretty cool.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby jkisha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Just glad I asked opinions before showing up with this.

Remember, opinions are like ass holes. Everybody has one and they're all full of shit.

Believe me, if you showed up with your insence whatever the hell it is, there would be lots of people that would be into it. I wouldn't be one of them, but that's just me.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Don't take it personally when people call you names around here. As you will soon learn, "picking on each other" is a sport around here. Nine times out of 10 it means you have been accepted, and we feel we can safely razz you a little. :P
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:42 pm

I love that avatar Jk.

And while there may be many who like it, I am looking to spend the week as carefree as possible. Thinking about keeping my PBR cold (or at least not too warm) seems like a far better thing than thinking about excessive moop or fire hazards.

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks Eliot, after lurking for a while I realize there is plenty of snark (or worse) on the boards here and I took it in the spirit it was given - as in turn I hope my reply as to camping location will be taken in turn.

Drawingablank

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Two points, if I may.

1) You don't have to gift. If you're a newbie, sometimes just taking in the sights and sounds, planning for 2012, is a productive use of your time.

2) If you have an RV, Otter Pops are almost universally appreciated, especially on a hot day. Kids love them, adults squeel in delight, and all of the sudden you're a hero.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:30 pm

It appears my sarcasm regarding your intended camp location was lost.

Glad you got the message about the incense. As others have mentioned, feel free to bring SOME. If you come across a situation that it'd fit, whip that shit out and gift it directly. There are plenty of chill spaces and such that use it.

One thing I did my first year was to buy a cheap little tool apron ($3 from Harbor Freight or such) and put a hammer, a screwdriver, wire snips and a shitload of big ol' UV stabilized wire ties into it.

In spare time, early on, I'd grab a cold drink and simply walk streets near my camp. I'd walk up to camps setting up and say "This is my first Burn, so I'm still trying to hear about it. Can I lend a hand and hear some stories?" or stuff to that effect.

Worked like a charm. I'm pretty quick about putting up carports, shade and tents, so often tired burners were glad to have the help from fresh hands.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:40 pm

In spare time, early on, I'd grab a cold drink and simply walk streets near my camp. I'd walk up to camps setting up and say "This is my first Burn, so I'm still trying to hear about it. Can I lend a hand and hear some stories?" or stuff to that effect.

Worked like a charm. I'm pretty quick about putting up carports, shade and tents, so often tired burners were glad to have the help from fresh hands.

That seriously remains my very favorite kind of gift, even though I am a stubborn cuss with (theoretically) I-can-do-it-myself Magical Unicorn Shade.
Savannah

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:06 pm

LOR - it does seem to have been lost (not on me) as was the sarcastic portion of my reply (I wouldn't truly suggest that anyone not camp between center and fence between 10 and 2 lol).

And to clear the air - I'm a bit baffled at how serious some of this good natured banter was taken.

Drawingablank

Postby jkisha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Definately second the Ottor Pops. We brought several cases last year and they were always a hit.

Though it was so cold at the beginning of the week i was thinking we might not be able to give any of them away. Thankfully, it warmed up!
JK
jkisha

Postby Rice » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Welcome to the ePlaya!!

Everything on the playa is amplified by at least 10 times. So, what Lord Of Ruin was referring to is the fact that the incense, no matter how mild, will not be mild to those around you.

Too many burgins think that they need to gift some thing, I only feel like i am giving something when I give my time or energy.

I keep a pair of gloves in my backpack for those that need a hand raising or holding something (keeps the hands from getting torn up).

Keep asking questions!!

Love Rice
Rice

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:49 pm

And to clear the air - I'm a bit baffled at how serious some of this good natured banter was taken.

It's not uncommon. :)
Savannah

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks