Getting Water at Gerlach: Pros and Cons?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:22 pm

I'm with you on the weight=carbon impact of transporting water that makes survival in deserts possible. If you are coming from North, ask fueling stations to fill your container from the hose. The later the hour and younger the staff, the more likely. Have done it at the Standard/Chevron in Lakeview. But that failing, have a purchase backup plan.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Anyone saying you cant get water in Gerlach is fucking moron who is wasting their gasoline transporting water.

Not for Northerners. Unless:

* waiting 'til the last second
* to take a detour
* to get the thing you need out there the most
* between certain hours (or relying on an On Call person)
* for cash only
* and adding an extra hour or more of idling in traffic (if you take the 447 and would not normally pass directly through)

. . . seems both fun and economical.

You can get water in Gerlach. Whether or not it is practical or would even save you gas after detouring and getting back into line is something else. My first year we went into Gerlach for gas. It took forever.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Badger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Just to reiterate.

You're not likely to get water in Gerlach. Folks there are pretty thin skinned about continually being asked. Rightfully so I might add. Resign yourself to the idea that you need to bring everything with you.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 pm

This is what was going on last year, you might want to check that # to see if they are doing it again---

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------The Gerlach GID, our local town governing body, will be selling potable water for filling up RVs and water tanks of any size starting August 27th. We will have ample filling stations in front of the community center, with directional signs located as you enter town on Main Street. Our rates this year will be comparable with Reno at .50/gallon up to 100 gallons, .45/gallon for sales above 100 and less than 200 gallons, and .40/gallon for sales larger than 200 gallons.

This decision has been made in an attempt to keep our water rates reasonable for the citizens of Gerlach. We have a top notch water treatment plant here, but due to the small size of our town, our 150 residents must pay for the maintenance of an entire water system. We want to provide a town resource to the participants of Burning Man, and we think this will save you money in addition to helping our town. Water weighs 8 lbs per gallon, and by buying your water in Gerlach you will avoid paying fuel costs to transport your water from Reno or even farther.

Our hours of operation will be 12 pm – 10 pm with a person available on-call when closed. We are ONLY accepting cash payments as we do not have a credit/debit machine. PLEASE pass this information on to any regional lists you may be on! Our office can be contacted at 775*55seven-2sixzero1 or gerlachgid (at) yahoo (dot) com with any questions or to arrange fill-ups prior to August 27th.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat May 07, 2011 7:20 pm

From the JRS, May 4:

GERLACH GENERAL IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT TO SELL WATER IN 2011

Sherry "Trixie" Carter, who runs the Gerlach Burning Man office (and lives in Gerlach year round), wrote in to let us know that the Gerlach General Improvement District will be selling water to Burners again this year. Details to follow in a later edition.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby illy dilly » Mon May 09, 2011 2:23 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:From the JRS, May 4:

GERLACH GENERAL IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT TO SELL WATER IN 2011

Sherry "Trixie" Carter, who runs the Gerlach Burning Man office (and lives in Gerlach year round), wrote in to let us know that the Gerlach General Improvement District will be selling water to Burners again this year. Details to follow in a later edition.

We did this last year. AND IT KICKED ASS!
We had the 100 gallons in the RV, and a couple of the 7gallon blue jugs. Also, we got to the water fill up place around 11am I think. It wasn't super crowded but we did have to wait like 10 minutes for our turn.

PROS:
1) There had been a set rate per gallon, but the kind lady running the show said 'I've been charging big RV's $75 flat rate.' It was lower than what we had originally anticipated. Through the whole trip there I averaged about 9-11mpg in our big ass old RV. Everyone was telling me I'd be lucky to get like 6 or 7, and I think the reason is that we left Denver with about 5 gallons in the water tank- not 100. I figured that we saved way more than $75 bucks in gas by not having the water the whole 1200 miles.

2) It was like a little mini party at the water place! We met a lot of really cool folks hanging out waiting for their turn to fill up.

CONS:
1) Not toooo hard to find, but not exactly easy. From what I was told its 'behind the high school' -doesn't mean anything to me, cause I have no idea where the high school is.
BUT, when you pass through Gerlach, on 447 and there is that little Shell station on the right, that always has a huge line of cars. You make the right turn right after that. There will be signs the whole way too. You go around the football field, then make a left. Just follow the signs. Once you find the place, its only like 5 minutes off the main road.

2) It took a while to fill up our 100 gallon tank. Like 30 minutes. But out little blue 7 gallon jugs filled right up quickly.
They had one hose bib connected to a splitter, with two hoses coming off, each connected to a little water meter thing that told them how much water had passed through (thats how they would have charged you if you were paying by the gallon).

On another note, I had emailed the kind lady weeks before to confirm that everything was all good. She gave me her number and told me that if I did get there on Sunday to call here when I was 20 minutes away and she'd meet us there.
When we got there Monday late morning, she said that someone had been there selling the water consistently since Sunday morning, and that the on call shift turned into a full on 24/7 shift. Last year they were not ready for that much traffic on Sunday- I'd imagine they would be this year.

Me and my camp mates rejoiced when the JRS said City of Gerlach announced they will be selling water again this year. It saved us fortunes in gas, and made the drive so much easier with out 800lbs of water behind the back axle.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby tiredofbeingnice » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 am

Badger wrote:Just to reiterate.

You're not likely to get water in Gerlach. Folks there are pretty thin skinned about continually being asked. Rightfully so I might add. Resign yourself to the idea that you need to bring everything with you.

Just to reiterate. There will absolutley be water available in Gerlach.

Why Badger wants/insists to spread incorret information is beyond me.
tiredofbeingnice

Postby Playa+Tom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:43 pm

I was in Gerlach and Empire and specifically inquired about water sales. Bruno's Shell station will not be selling water they will refer people to the General Improvement District who are happy to sell as much as you would like. The Empire Store will be open, Tammy will be selling water and PBR. If you wish to wait until you get to Black Rock City after a few beers I can make you a lot of water.
Playa+Tom

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Playa+Tom wrote:General Improvement District who are happy to sell as much as you would like.

This is very true! Like I've said before the lady who runs the water sales is a doll, she is so nice and friendly!
I can't imagine why you would bother carrying your water from any further. Maybe from Fernley, if you want packed big box water.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Laughing Forest » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Laughing Forest

Postby Laughing Forest » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Water is meant to be free.

Like air, all water should be free to all living beings.

Take what you need from whatever the source.

Don't be criminalized by your needs - or wants.

Om Shanti, Om.
Laughing Forest

Postby BBadger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:16 am

Bug off Laughing Failure.
BBadger

Postby dubz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Yea, I'm not sure why one would take the time to fabricate such a wrong response. Maybe they love to hear themselves talk. But, as mentioned before, JRS states clearly that there will be water in Gerlach.

Also, your logic that Gerlach could not be selling water because it is in the desert is just insane. Las Vegas? Los Angeles? Phoenix? Seriously?
dubz

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Raised by Wolves

Postby akmojo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:53 am

if there was no water in Gerlach then I put 110 gallons of what in my barrels last year ?? not to mention having had a grand time chatting with the wonderful women at the GID !!
I intend to put another 110 gallons of the mystery fluid in them in Gerlach again this year !!!
think big and dare to fail
akmojo

Postby Sham » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:20 am

I stay at a hotel in Reno each year, and several of my camp mates stop by with Rv's to visit, shower and fill their up with water. The hotel has always been very accommodating by leaving a hose for guests to use. Between the included buffet breakfasts and the water hose, the idea of a hotel stop makes perfect sense. Not to mention my last 30 minute HOT shower before heading to BRC!
Sham

There really is water in Gerlach this year

Postby portaplaya » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:57 pm

For all of those doubting Thomases (from JRS):

GERLACH WILL BE SELLING POTABLE WATER DURING BURNING MAN

Trixie, our intrepid Gerlach Office Manager, passed along this incredibly useful information:

"The Town of Gerlach will be selling potable water for filling up RVs and water tanks. We will have ample filling stations in front of the Gerlach Community Center at 410 Cottonwood Street, with directional signs located as you enter town on Main Street.

Our rates are .50/gallon up to 100 gallons, .45/gallon for sales above 100 and less than 200 gallons, and .40/gallon for sales larger than 200 gallons.

You asked and we listened: WE WILL HAVE CONTAINERS!! Call today to reserve your filled containers ranging in size from 5 gallons to 15 gallons. There will be a limited amount available and you don’t want to miss this one stop shopping opportunity.

Our filling station will be open August 26th – August 31st. The hours for operation will be 9:00 am to 1:00 am. However, due to high demand we will be open 24 hours on Saturday, August 27th and Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We are only able to accept cash; however, there will be an ATM machine available for your convenience. Our office can be contacted at 775-557-2601 or gerlachgid@yahoo.com with any questions or to arrange fill-ups prior to August 26th.

Remember: Water weighs 8 lbs. per gallon, and by buying your water in Gerlach you will avoid paying fuel costs to transport your water from Reno or even farther. Save gas!

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION ON TO ANY REGIONAL, CAMP, or other BURNING MAN LIST YOU MIGHT BE ON!

Sherry Carter aka Trixi"
portaplaya

Re: Getting Water at Gerlach: Pros and Cons?

Postby alt12 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:47 pm

you can do it but at even .40 a gallon its significantly more expensive than Twin City Surplus, which has a high pressure hose and charges $12 for a 55 gallon tank. So you can pay twice as much in Gerlach or pay 1/2 as much in Reno. Totally up to you but for me its a no brainer (especially with 700 gallons of water to fill)... I doubt that extra weight is going to cost an extra $150 in gasoline but I could be wrong...
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:02 am

1 gallon of water = 8 lbs
100 gallons = 800 lbs
700 gallons = 5600 lbs

I would venture to say that yeah.. you could likely burn up an extra $150 in gas hauling 5600 unneeded lbs between Reno and Gerlach.. maybe?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Re:

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:42 am

Badger wrote:Just to reiterate.

It IS the desert, you know. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Re:

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:40 am

Laughing Forest wrote:Water is meant to be free.

Like air, all water should be free to all living beings.

Take what you need from whatever the source.

Don't be criminalized by your needs - or wants.

Om Shanti, Om.

Shut up.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby wedeliver » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:34 pm

We also have water here at my place and nice grass to sleep on. Our water comes from a well that is over 300' deep and the water is crystal clear. I should note, just so we are clear, that water is not free nor cheap. In order to get the water out of the ground we need both a Motor and a Pump (cost $10,000) and the well drilled etc. allthough what I have is a bit of overkill for just the RV Park as my well puts out 110 gallons per minute. Although it is hard to get that kinda flow through hoses, gotta have a 3" line minimum for that flow. We are 165 miles from Black Rock City just off Californa Hwy 139 between Klamath Falls, Oregon and Alturas, California. If you want to fill a bunch of 1 gallon jugs, no problem, if you want to fill a bunch of 50 gallon tanks, just one little issue first then it will take about 5 minutes per tank as I put a bunch of hoses together.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Canoe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:14 pm

I topped up the RV there last year (2010). Followed the signs on the road in town. Signs in town and just before leaving town.
Friendly people with two metered pumps quickly filled it up with great tasting water.

Somewhere in a link I read that they're going to three pumps this year? And faster for larger fill-ups?

They showed where there were posted on-call hours and a number, and then told a story. Someone had called the guy out (not during covered call-out hours and he came anyway) at something like 3:00 a.m.. He rushed there only to find they needed something like 20 gallons of water. Not nice.
I'd suggest following the posted hours if you are requesting call-out service, if there is such this year.

Knowing it's there, I'd get to Gerlach with minimal water, and get the bulk of my water there.
Saves me gas money, I get great water, and we support the community.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Igneouss » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:43 am

wedeliver wrote:We also have water here at my place and nice grass to sleep on. Our water comes from a well that is over 300' deep and the water is crystal clear. I should note, just so we are clear, that water is not free nor cheap. In order to get the water out of the ground we need both a Motor and a Pump (cost $10,000) and the well drilled etc. allthough what I have is a bit of overkill for just the RV Park as my well puts out 110 gallons per minute. Although it is hard to get that kinda flow through hoses, gotta have a 3" line minimum for that flow. We are 165 miles from Black Rock City just off Californa Hwy 139 between Klamath Falls, Oregon and Alturas, California. If you want to fill a bunch of 1 gallon jugs, no problem, if you want to fill a bunch of 50 gallon tanks, just one little issue first then it will take about 5 minutes per tank as I put a bunch of hoses together.

I love the implication that 'crystal clear' = safe. LOL
Gerlach's crystal clear water is naturally radioactive. Hence the large and complicated water treatment facility.

You seem to spand a lot of time promoting your commercial enterprise here...'just one little issue'...LOL
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Minxy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:46 am

Igneouss wrote:
wedeliver wrote:We also have water here at my place and nice grass to sleep on. Our water comes from a well that is over 300' deep and the water is crystal clear. I should note, just so we are clear, that water is not free nor cheap. In order to get the water out of the ground we need both a Motor and a Pump (cost $10,000) and the well drilled etc. allthough what I have is a bit of overkill for just the RV Park as my well puts out 110 gallons per minute. Although it is hard to get that kinda flow through hoses, gotta have a 3" line minimum for that flow. We are 165 miles from Black Rock City just off Californa Hwy 139 between Klamath Falls, Oregon and Alturas, California. If you want to fill a bunch of 1 gallon jugs, no problem, if you want to fill a bunch of 50 gallon tanks, just one little issue first then it will take about 5 minutes per tank as I put a bunch of hoses together.

Gerlach's crystal clear water is naturally radioactive. Hence the large and complicated water treatment facility.

You seem to spand a lot of time promoting your commercial enterprise here...'just one little issue'...LOL

Well, Igneouss, other than stating his water isn't free, he's usually only pushing his camp ground as a FREE stop for Burners along the way to the burn. I, personally, don't consider that commercial, it's more along the lines of a gift. =P
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Igneouss wrote:

Burners camp FREE at his place, which is very close to the Burn. It's a tradition, & a kindness that a lot of people gratefully take advantage of.
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=40142
Savannah

Postby Mr.Coffee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:33 am

Hey everyone,

So I just got an email response from the nice Gerlach Water lady, she sent me a price list for pre-filled containers:

5 gallon collapsable jugs are $15.00
6 gallon jerry cans are $20.00
15 gallon barrels are $45.00

I figure they're currently being swamped with the same call and/or email, so I posted this here to help them out.

water is free, making it safe and putting it in the middle of the desert for you isn't
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:08 pm

From the latest JRS released minutes ago:

PURCHASE WATER IN GERLACH

"Gerlach General Improvement District - 401 Cottonwood Drive - 775-557-2601 Open 9am-11am, but open 24 hours on Saturday and Sunday, August 27 and 28. The Gerlach GID (the local governing body of Gerlach, just a few miles from BRC) will be selling potable water to fill up RVs and water tanks of any size, with the funds going to support the town of Gerlach. Located in front of the town's Community Center, look out for directional signs just as you enter town on Main Street. Rates are 50 cents per gallon up to 100 gallons, 45 cents per gallon between 100 and 200 gallons, and 40 cents per gallon for above 200 gallons. Cash only, but ATM is onsite. Call the office or email gerlachgid@yahoo.com with any questions or to arrange fill-ups prior to August 26th.

This decision has been made in an attempt to keep our water rates reasonable for the citizens of Gerlach. We have a top notch water treatment plant here, but due to the small size of our town, our 150 residents must pay for the maintenance of an entire water system. We want to provide a town resource to the participants of Burning Man, and we think this will save you money in addition to helping our town. Water weighs 8 lbs per gallon, and by buying your water in Gerlach you will avoid paying fuel costs to transport your water from afar."
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby portaplaya » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Mr.Coffee wrote:water is free, making it safe and putting it in the middle of the desert for you isn't

Agreed, Dirty water is free; sea water is free; acid rain is free. Treated drinking water is not free.

For that matter, using the Colorado River for irrigating a desert, leaving nothing behind but a muddy stream probably should not be free.
portaplaya

Re:

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:15 pm

tiredofbeingnice wrote:Anyone saying you cant get water in Gerlach is fucking moron who is wasting their gasoline transporting water.

Just pay attention to the JRS and you will know what is up.

http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity ... l#PLAYAP_3

2010 was the first year that they started to sell water in Gerlach, this thread was started in 2004! Take a breath!

Yes, you can now buy water in Gerlach.

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby portaplaya » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:37 pm

Actually, this specific thread was created in early 2011.
portaplaya

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks