Virgins gifting project...still under construction

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:36 pm

Another thing to remember is that some lenses will suck in air when you zoom or focus which can pull dust into the camera. A camera with a sensor vibration system may help remove some of that dust if it gets into your camera. If it gets in the lens itself, I have no idea how you'll get it out. I would also bring a clear plastic bag to do all your lens swapping in as a sort of "cleanroom."

iowamedic wrote:Yeah I hate to use the UV filters because I think it makes the Image not as clear. Ill be a wild man and not use one! I am a Nikon man! I have used a d40, d70 and now my d90 and I love them!!

Really? They should help clear your pictures. I thought they're for cutting the UV "haze" in a photo, especially on digital cameras where such "invisible" light (including IR) appears as purple fringes. If they're making your pictures less clear, maybe check whether the filter itself is good quality.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby iowamedic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:47 pm

Yeah my camera has a sensor vibration cleaner. I was planning on rigging up something to cover the body and lens up to the very edge of the lens cap. Maybe my filter is a lower end and thats what is causing the problems. I am no professional by any means!! I think the colors look better without the filter also. I can see how they would help in bright light but I dont shoot much in direct sunlight.
iowamedic

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:54 pm

iowamedic wrote:Yeah I hate to use the UV filters because I think it makes the Image not as clear. Ill be a wild man and not use one! I am a Nikon man! I have used a d40, d70 and now my d90 and I love them!!

I used UV filters when I first got into photography based on the recommendation that it will protect your lens, etc. I ditched using them after getting into shooting low light stuff and fire performers. Lens flare city off the filter.

And woot! Nikon Rules! :)
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:01 pm

BBadger wrote:Another thing to remember is that some lenses will suck in air when you zoom or focus which can pull dust into the camera. A camera with a sensor vibration system may help remove some of that dust if it gets into your camera. If it gets in the lens itself, I have no idea how you'll get it out. I would also bring a clear plastic bag to do all your lens swapping in as a sort of "cleanroom."

Nikon lenses (and I'm sure Canon are no different) can be taken apart and cleaned. Its a bit of a pucker moment when you crack open that $1200 lens for the first time because you can see micro dust particles inside of it, but it isn't too bad after the first time.

Usually, any internal dust or particulate matter are in between the first 2 elements. Not sure how much deeper into a lens I would try to go though. If you can see gunk in deeper, best bet would be a good camera shop.

ON, and it is usually a good idea to drop off your camera after the event and have it professionally cleaned, especially the mainstream consumer level models. Prosumer/pro level gear is usually sealed up pretty well. My D300 has gone 3 years and I have not had it cleaned. I probably should, but have not had any issues.
CapSmashy

Postby iowamedic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:48 pm

I mostly shoot in low light or indoors with artificial light so i think i just havent really had a good use for the filters. Good idea to have the camera professionally cleaned after!! Do you think a rain cover for my camera would be good enough for the sand?
iowamedic

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:02 am

A plastic rain cover or even a gallon sized ziplock bag.

The Dxx and Dxxxx Nikon bodies are not sealed up like the Dxxx and Dx bodied cameras so some level of protection is advisable. On my D70, I simply taped over all of my ports with gaffe tape and kept a gallon sized ziplock in my cross sling bag. If the dust started blowing, I dropped it in ot the ziplock, folded the top over and zipped the bag shut. That and my nightly maintenance of cleaning and wiping it down kept it pretty clean the whole event.

I am not as careful with my D300 since it is built to tighter standards and weather sealed form the factory. I do keep it in a zipped up bag though when not in use and wipe it down nightly.

I use a Lowepro Top Load Zoom bag that rides on my hip. Quick and easy in and out of the bag and room to carry cleaning supplies, extra memory and a battery.
CapSmashy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:30 am

iowamedic wrote:Do you think a rain cover for my camera would be good enough for the sand?

Just so you know, people will hit you for this.
It's dust, very fine particles.

Yes, I had my camera professionally cleaned afterwards. (I was taking it into a cleanroom at work!)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks