Virgins gifting project...still under construction

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Virgins gifting project...still under construction

Postby iowamedic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:16 am

Hello all,

Since this is going to be my first year at Burning Man I want to do something that will push my comfort zone as a photographer as well at give everyone something in return. My idea so far is to photograph as many people, artwork, random acts of craziness, etc as I can with the resources I will bring with. I was going to give out a card with my website address on it to everyone that I photograph. I am going to create several galleries on my site with all of the photographs I took. My hope is that people can visit my site later and have the ability to download as many photographs as they want, since I will not copyright anything. This is just what has been going through my mind lately. I know that I shouldn't concern myself so much with worrying about pleasing everyone but I feel that if I even make 1 persons day that it would have been worth it.

E
iowamedic

Postby TomServo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:34 am

Best of luck! Some of my best photographs were from Burning Man. Somehow lost an awesome shot of LaContessa though...Im all about digital now.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:40 am

Pix would be awesome 8) especially if you can get some good shots of the art. The most plaintive and heart-wrenching posts on this board are from artists asking if anyone has pictures of their work :cry: which is now gone forever, of course... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby jkisha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 am

Yup, ya can't have too many pictures.

(this coming from a person that doesn't take pictures and relies on the photo talent of others)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:44 am

Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro is very pro-photography. In fact, we feel that by coming to our camp you are free to take as many pictures as you'd like, but also have given your consent to be photographed. You do not need to ask permission, it is granted by fiat. See you on the playa.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 am

A few photographer tips.

1. Ask before you shoot a candid or portrait. I usually ask before I shoot, but I have let someone know after the fact and they were cool with it, especially after reviewing the picture.

2. If you are shooting D/SLR, get a couple of fast lenses. A 50mm/1.8 is a cheap, reliable addition to any camera body and will enable you to shoot a lot of shots at night without using the flash. Flash photos at night tend to be filled with dust snow.

3. Do not change lenses in the open. Even if you can't see it, playa dust is EVERYWHERE. I hop on the bus, blow off myself, the lenses and camera body, wipe everything down with an electronic cleaning pad, blow it all off again and swap the lens. Practice at home before you go. I can do a lens swap in about 4 seconds, including a quick air blast. :)

4. Consider picking up some ID badge style holder lanyards. Some people will not have anywhere to put a business card. A neck lanyard with your card on it is another great way to pass on the info. Stickers work well too. Give yourself options.

5. Permission. Ask for it. :)

6. Take care of your gear. Canned air, wipe down pads, lens brush or two (yo u will want to brush and air blast your lens BEFORE wiping it down with a cleaning cloth. Seal up ports and compartments with gaffer's tape (works like duct tape without leaving the residue behind) and good camera bad that can be zipped up and closed in dust storms. Some people use water bags or ziplock bags to help protect their gear.

7. Some kind of strap or leash system. Theft does happen out there. If you have an expensive camera, it could become a target.

8. Insurance. Check with your home owners or renter's insurance provider and get your gear covered. Non professional coverage is pretty cheap and will cover you against loss or theft and sometimes even breakage.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:35 am

CapSmashy wrote:I hop on the bus, blow off myself...

He's very talented.. in a Ron Jeremy kinda way.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby phil » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 am

4. Consider picking up some ID badge style holder lanyards. Some people will not have anywhere to put a business card. A neck lanyard with your card on it is another great way to pass on the info. Stickers work well too. Give yourself options.

Those are two excellent ideas. I gave out porta-potty passes on lanyards one year. I get lanyards at events throughout the year, so I often have some laying around with obscure ads woven into the fabric. My US Artistic License and Flickr Press Pass are in one of those plastic pockets with a clip on it, along with much playa powder. It's amazing how Burners think they're real. :->
phil

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:01 am

Consider labeling your camera with your name & email address, maybe a phone number too (as your email may screen out unfamiliar addresses). Or take a photo of your business card that remains in your digital. Playa Info, or any nice human who finds it, may try to reunite you with it.

Playa Info spends several months trying to do this after the event, in fact.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:13 am

Savannah wrote:Consider labeling your camera with your name & email address, maybe a phone number too (as your email may screen out unfamiliar addresses). Or take a photo of your business card that remains in your digital. Playa Info, or any nice human who finds it, may try to reunite you with it.

Playa Info spends several months trying to do this after the event, in fact.

Forgot about that tip.

Personal info photo as the #1 picture and locked so you can't delete it.
CapSmashy

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:20 am

phil wrote:Those are two excellent ideas. I gave out porta-potty passes on lanyards one year. I get lanyards at events throughout the year, so I often have some laying around with obscure ads woven into the fabric. My US Artistic License and Flickr Press Pass are in one of those plastic pockets with a clip on it, along with much playa powder. It's amazing how Burners think they're real. :->

Flckr Press Pass? GENIUS! :)

I picked up a pack of 20 lanyards last year, cord and the clip, for like a buck at a craft store.
CapSmashy

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 am

Porta potty passes! Oh my god. :lol:
Savannah

Re: Virgins gifting project...still under construction

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:02 am

iowamedic wrote:Hello all,

Since this is going to be my first year at Burning Man I want to do something that will push my comfort zone as a photographer as well at give everyone something in return. My idea so far is to photograph as many people, artwork, random acts of craziness, etc as I can with the resources I will bring with. I was going to give out a card with my website address on it to everyone that I photograph. I am going to create several galleries on my site with all of the photographs I took. My hope is that people can visit my site later and have the ability to download as many photographs as they want, since I will not copyright anything. This is just what has been going through my mind lately. I know that I shouldn't concern myself so much with worrying about pleasing everyone but I feel that if I even make 1 persons day that it would have been worth it.

E

You already own the copyright to everything, but with the added fun of the the Burning Man limitations on rights. It's a very minor thing.

You may find many people doing the same thing. A friend of mine from NYC who attends is a photographer, I'm a photographer. (Neither of us will have a digital camera).

What if you did something different like a Polaroid/instant camera or pinhole or something? Maybe solar prints of people's shadows or something odd.

Of course have a camera or two no matter what, but maybe don't worry about gifting and just be yourself and have your gift just you being there, which I'm sure will be the best addition.

I use "superevilbrian" for Flickr, Tiwitter, Facebook, Tumblr or find it all here: http://brianmcgloin.com
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:08 am

CapSmashy wrote:A few photographer tips.

1. Ask before you shoot a candid or portrait. I usually ask before I shoot, but I have let someone know after the fact and they were cool with it, especially after reviewing the picture.

2. If you are shooting D/SLR, get a couple of fast lenses. A 50mm/1.8 is a cheap, reliable addition to any camera body and will enable you to shoot a lot of shots at night without using the flash. Flash photos at night tend to be filled with dust snow.

3. Do not change lenses in the open. Even if you can't see it, playa dust is EVERYWHERE. I hop on the bus, blow off myself, the lenses and camera body, wipe everything down with an electronic cleaning pad, blow it all off again and swap the lens. Practice at home before you go. I can do a lens swap in about 4 seconds, including a quick air blast. :)

5. Permission. Ask for it. :)

6. Take care of your gear. Canned air, wipe down pads, lens brush or two (yo u will want to brush and air blast your lens BEFORE wiping it down with a cleaning cloth. Seal up ports and compartments with gaffer's tape (works like duct tape without leaving the residue behind) and good camera bad that can be zipped up and closed in dust storms. Some people use water bags or ziplock bags to help protect their gear.

7. Some kind of strap or leash system. Theft does happen out there. If you have an expensive camera, it could become a target.

8. Insurance. Check with your home owners or renter's insurance provider and get your gear covered. Non professional coverage is pretty cheap and will cover you against loss or theft and sometimes even breakage.

I'm bringing my two film workhorse cameras: Nikon n90s with MB10 grips. They're professional cameras and nearly submergeable. They'll outlive me and they've been through hell.

The most recent beating was a few days on the Gulf Coast in Texas where seawater rinsed the very fine and corrosive (it's like flour, but not quite as white) dust away. I'll bring a 50mm f1.4 and a indestructable (and beaten, but optically perfect) 17-35 f2.8. I'm thinking of the 80-200 f2.8 but that may be just too much shit.

I may have a Black Slim Devil plastic camera and a Soviet, Leica-copy rangefinder in addition to a bag of Ilford and Fuji film.

Yes, film.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:09 am

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:

Is he as ugly?
Super Evil Brian

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:

Is he as ugly?

Oh no! He's a sexy beast. :)
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:20 am

You're not the only one with a bag of Fuji film at the Burn, SuperEvilBrian.

I'm giving some thought to a digital camera at last, however. My current Canon seems to have gotten dust in it . . .

I still miss the Pentax I used at 2000, 2001, and 2003. Taking pictures of a Hawaiian graveyard killed it after 8 years of amazing shots.
Savannah

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:54 am

I am a huge proponent of gifting experiences instead of swag-moop. I would strongly suggest getting a rubber stamp - inkpad to stamp your website address on the subjects/something they designate, rather than a card which is easy to loose. At least give the option.

Found that photographing groups and couples can be more friendly than photographing individuals, you just have to vibe it out. Some camps may be interested in a photobooth in your free time too - consider bringing a portable backdrop. There was a great photobooth on the Center Camp ring doing photos in years back - see http://www.johnbrennanphoto.com

Weird story. John operates in a tent and more than one subject are unclothed, beautiful and striking romantic poses. We caught a German dude who was sneaking photos of the studio through a gap in the tent and forced him to delete the photos he had made without permission from his memory card. He pretended to speak only German, but we nailed him with a German speaker.

Many other photographers on these forums, but don't underestimate the impact of playa dust - you will understand after the first year. BM is over exposure central many parts of the day. For night time, a very off axis flash may cure the dust.

Also congratulations on a first year effort that "gets it"
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Read around on the photography threads to get a sense of the issues. You also want to read about critical titts, which is a very contested event, photography-wise. Even if you do ask for permission as the good captain suggests, it's good to have an idea why people refuse, so you can see it as nuetral if you are refused. And be careful about putting people's pics on the web. There are persistent stories of photo's biting people in the ass with custody suits and firings.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:I'm bringing my two film workhorse cameras: Nikon n90s with MB10 grips. They're professional cameras and nearly submergeable. They'll outlive me and they've been through hell.

The most recent beating was a few days on the Gulf Coast in Texas where seawater rinsed the very fine and corrosive (it's like flour, but not quite as white) dust away. I'll bring a 50mm f1.4 and a indestructable (and beaten, but optically perfect) 17-35 f2.8. I'm thinking of the 80-200 f2.8 but that may be just too much shit.

I may have a Black Slim Devil plastic camera and a Soviet, Leica-copy rangefinder in addition to a bag of Ilford and Fuji film.

Yes, film.

Sweet. I have a couple of ancient, dust gathering 35mm's around here.

I shoot primarily on a D300 and also bring out my IR converted D70 for some interesting shooting. Lenswise, daytime is usually handled with my 18-200 and at night I run with either the 35/2.0, 50/1.8 or the 85/1.4. I will also occasionally do some shooting from the Sky God Lounge with my 180 to 400 Sigma.

I am planning on, but not guaranteed, having a loaner medium format camera for playing with although its been forever since I shot on film. He also has an old 8x10 bellows camera, but I'm not sure how that would take the conditions out there.

I also have my dad's old Polaroid land camera that I need to do a battery mod to. And I'd also like to pick up one of the "toy" cameras as well to play with.

I've been terrible about shooting pics the last 2 years. First year, I shot over 2k, last year I shot about 400. Had too much going on and left the camera behind a lot.
CapSmashy

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:38 pm

The rubber stamp idea is awesome as well.
CapSmashy

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:

Is he as ugly?

Oh no! He's a sexy beast. :)

It's true. Raiders have to pass the IQ test in addition to rating high enough on hotornot.com.

Hence, our small camp numbers...

/tosses hair

I'm not really sure how taking pictures and posting them on the internet is a "gift," but you'll definitely want to have something handy to give to people so they can find the pics later.

After you've asked permission to take their pictures.

Because SOME people are assholes, and will berate you with their megaphones for being an ignorant tourist and not following protocol (asking permission before taking someone's picture).
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:11 pm

Hush you. I'll post those pictures of you that show you all happy and smiling.
CapSmashy

Postby moonrise » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Ah well, AntiM gave great ideas for labeling cameras, bikes etc etc etc
'use your freebie charity address labels' she's right, so simple, free and worked for me..I covered the little address labels with strong clear tape for extra bomb proofing. (thnx anitm! for a good tip)

ziplock baggie kept my digi camera safe n sound, it still works.

I'll take more photos overall in the future...I'm like jkisha, I relied on others photography and cameras....except they never came through...where are they and the photos & video? I'll never know :?

perhaps you can jot down the date when you provide info for finding photos after BM online.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby iowamedic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks for all of the ideas. The rubber stamp is a great idea. That will be a must! I will definitely need a cover for the body of my camera and a UV filter to protect the lens. I know it is bad but I never use any sort of UV filter. I figured my 18-105 and a 50 1.8 lens would be enough for the trip. Didn't want to change the lens very often. I figured getting full permission from people before I photograph them would be a good way to meet new people! Almost an excuse to get out there and meet people!
iowamedic

Re: Virgins gifting project...still under construction

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:04 pm

iowamedic wrote:My idea so far is to photograph as many people, artwork, random acts of craziness, etc as I can with the resources I will bring with.

With all due respect, that's all that most virgins can be expected to do. That's pretty muc what I did.

Come to the desert, enjoy your time and take pictures. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:48 am

I don't use a UV filter. Its another layer of glass on the lens that can distort your image. Carry a lens pen and keep the lens clean and you should be fine.

A polarizing filter is a good thing to have though on those bright sunny days when you are getting a lot of glare off the playa surface.

And your lens package sounds perfect for out there.

Now, the real question....

Are you a Nikon guy or a wannabe with a Cannon? :lol:
CapSmashy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 am

I normally use a UV filter, only because it's something that I can afford to have scratched, instead of the lens itself. But that's not on the playa. Use a lens cap. It can be annoying, but your other alternative is cleaning the lens on every shot. And that dust is abrasive!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby iowamedic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah I hate to use the UV filters because I think it makes the Image not as clear. Ill be a wild man and not use one! I am a Nikon man! I have used a d40, d70 and now my d90 and I love them!!
iowamedic

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:17 pm

keep in mind, you will be playing in talcom powder. have a lens cap
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks