Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes : 564

Re: Kids & Teenagers at Burning Man

Postby Fidget » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 am

Seconded!
Here's hoping your folks let ya go man, from your post I can already tell you're one of us! :)

Foxfur wrote:
NaturesFlow wrote:Hi
Im 13 and ive just ben reading up on burning man and what its about and everything and i really want to go! My moms ben to burning man before a long time ago and id love to go. I just like the idea of getting a break from all of the craziness of modern day life and all of the troubles of it too. Plus i love biking and camping and nature things so i think it would be great fun. I would like to go probably next year when im 14. I have read some of the posts on this forum and get what everyone is saying about how the kids should be mature and everything and i am a mature"teenager" and have a good sense of logic, i think this would be a good way to rekindle bonds between me and my mom or dad. Anything anyone can tell me about burning man would be great to know, im still having trouble wrapping my head around the camps and contributing. So if anyone has anything to say, like tips on what to pack for it or what to prepare for and stuff. Thanks! :)

Your writing suggests that your maturity is at a level commensurate with a good burner. Well written.
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Fidget

Burning Since: 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:35 pm

Do you realize that was posted over 18 months ago.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:51 pm

I was also fished in.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby tamarakay » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:54 pm

I wonder if the kid made it.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Fidget » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:41 pm

I am full of shame...
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Fidget

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat May 17, 2014 2:33 am

The real amazing thing is this thread was started ten years ago, probably before most current eplayans even heard of Burning Man!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby unjonharley » Sat May 17, 2014 6:49 am

I still say: free range (BM) kids are tasty as any playa chicken..

Keep an eye on your kiddies...
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat May 17, 2014 9:37 am

The teenagers originally in question on this thread are now mid-20s adults. Possibly with their own kids!
Captain Goddammit

Postby tamarakay » Sat May 17, 2014 9:40 am

Oh life, it's bigger, bigger than you and you are not me

Now I can't get that song out of my head.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat May 17, 2014 10:02 am

tamarakay wrote:Oh life, it's bigger, bigger than you and you are not me

That happens to me all the time! Some random thing reminds me of a song, then it starts playing in my head and gets stuck on endless-loop.
The cure is to play the song. Modern technology to the rescue! You can YouTube up nearly anything, right from your phone if you've got a modern one.

Saves my sanity. What little remains.
Captain Goddammit

Postby ygmir » Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
tamarakay wrote:Oh life, it's bigger, bigger than you and you are not me

That happens to me all the time! Some random thing reminds me of a song, then it starts playing in my head and gets stuck on endless-loop.
The cure is to play the song. Modern technology to the rescue! You can YouTube up nearly anything, right from your phone if you've got a modern one.

Saves my sanity. What little remains.

at least your voices sing................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby treibergm » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi, I am 18-would turn 19 shortly after Burning Man 2014 (20 after Burning Man 2015). I am a University student. I have been interested in making the trip to BRC for a long time now. My parents, aunts, as well as an abundance of family friends attend every year. My parents have no issue with me going, however they express reluctance about me being around them. (This comes out bad... but we have an extremely good relationship.) It is my belief that these worries stem from the drinking and narcotic usage I am very aware they do. As well as maybe simply their behavior during their time there. However, this is odd to me as my mother tends to openly discuss her adventures during her time there (including drugs). We are very liberal (but smart, if i may say) about these things. I'd like to consider myself quite a mature teenager (I've gotten this compliment several times.) I enjoy philosophy, music, anthropology, astronomy, nature, and reading, etc quite a lot. Due to my nerdy nature (if you will), I do not tend to enjoy the company of kids my own age, nor the obnoxious parties they attend (including the ever-present GOAL of getting blackout drunk). I would love to become a Burner and experience all the wonderful means of satisfying my free-spiritedness. While I intend on contributing, exploring, etc. I was wondering how mature Burners feel about underage kids and the (occasional) consumption of alcohol/and or mild narcotics? Also, would I be treated as young, young kid? Would there be anyone for me to connect with, talk to? Or is it a general opinion that I would feel ostracized and ashamed of being so young? Genuine inquiry. These responses may let me know if I should start saving up for BM 2015!
treibergm

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:22 pm

treibergm wrote:Hi, I am 18-would turn 19 shortly after Burning Man 2014 (20 after Burning Man 2015). I am a University student. I have been interested in making the trip to BRC for a long time now. My parents, aunts, as well as an abundance of family friends attend every year. My parents have no issue with me going, however they express reluctance about me being around them. (This comes out bad... but we have an extremely good relationship.) It is my belief that these worries stem from the drinking and narcotic usage I am very aware they do. As well as maybe simply their behavior during their time there. However, this is odd to me as my mother tends to openly discuss her adventures during her time there (including drugs). We are very liberal (but smart, if i may say) about these things. I'd like to consider myself quite a mature teenager (I've gotten this compliment several times.) I enjoy philosophy, music, anthropology, astronomy, nature, and reading, etc quite a lot. Due to my nerdy nature (if you will), I do not tend to enjoy the company of kids my own age, nor the obnoxious parties they attend (including the ever-present GOAL of getting blackout drunk). I would love to become a Burner and experience all the wonderful means of satisfying my free-spiritedness. While I intend on contributing, exploring, etc. I was wondering how mature Burners feel about underage kids and the (occasional) consumption of alcohol/and or mild narcotics?

Hi there. I replied a little to your post in the "Hello" thread, you can read that after this if you haven't already. :) This post of yours is more specific, so I'll give you some feedback on this one as well.

If I run into an 18 year old who drinks or consumes mild narcotics and is minding their own business, it probably wouldn't bother me or the average passerby, in part because 1) there would be no way of easily knowing your exact age, or 2) even necessarily knowing what it is you've consumed (or whether you're just eccentric). Personally, I really don't care what substances people of any age are doing, as long as these people seem to be doing well--not in need of medical or psychological assistance--and are neutral or positive presences near me on the playa. (I can't speak for everyone, but that's a pretty common stance.) It's only if someone is acting like a jackass that I mind what they're doing, intoxicated or not.

Now--if I were a playa bartender--or pouring drinks for youthful new acquaintances, things would be different. I'd ask to see some ID before serving you, because serving a minor comes with a $1,000 fine in Nevada, and no one wants that. And playa bars (and individuals) will ask you for ID. Bonus: claiming to be 21+ to get alcohol is illegal in NV--I think. (You can google that one).

You won't want to transport anything illegal into the event without informing anyone you're traveling with because there are road stops for minor things (like speeding, or dust-covered/obscured license plates) that sometimes evolve into vehicle searches and canine units. To get your driver in trouble would obviously be a immoral thing, as well as very problematic for you.

Note also: if you ask anyone for alcohol or drugs, especially while looking young, people will suspect you're an undercover officer. Humorously, undercover officers are much less popular than someone who just happens to be a bit young.

Finally, be really careful of strangers (especially older) who offer you drugs or alcohol. There are a lot of really nice people at the event, but also a few bad apples.

Also, would I be treated as young, young kid? Would there be anyone for me to connect with, talk to? Or is it a general opinion that I would feel ostracized and ashamed of being so young? Genuine inquiry. These responses may let me know if I should start saving up for BM 2015!

Socially, I think you will be fine (but I went into this in my other post).
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:33 am

I'm 57. Age range in our camp is from 70s to early 20s (22~24). No one really notices or minds age. If a younger person stopped by our camp we'd offer beverages and water, shade and conversation. No booze, because laws. Although I did start serving wine to a friend when he was only 17 (at my home, in my backyard), and he's over 30 now. No clue he was a kid. Disclaimer: we are not a bar camp, you have to walk around the back to visit. Bar camps should not be serving you, not should you ask newly met strangers for alcohol.

You'd be welcome, although as Savannah advises, beware of the few creepers. But that is real life advice too, so don't let it put you off the event.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:25 pm

trelbrgm,

Your family sounds close to what I have with my kids. The first year we went my daughter was 20. We weren't going to go to any of the playa bars because of her age. We brought our own and had a great time. I think that as long as you're not swinging around a bottle of tequila and making a loud spectacle of yourself you should have no worries.

And it doesn't sound like that is something you'd be prone to doing :mrgreen: :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby chuckularone » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:30 am

After meeting some AWESOME kids in BRC I have firmly changed my mind on the topic. It is a place for some kids. My 9 year old would be in her element. My 8 year old on the other hand, suffers from a sensory condition that would have him in overload almost the entire week.

My favorite was the 12 year old I talked through changing the tube on his bike tire. His mother loved that he wanted to do it and loved that I had him do it. I only loosened the nuts at the beginning and made sure they were tight enough before he left. The rest was just me giving him verbal instructions.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Postby forty_eight » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Helped a kid put grip tape on a deck he got gifted from Sk8 Kamp ... I could tell he wanted me to do it for him. But, DOACRACY! :)

Such a cool kid and he was shredding by the end of the week. Kid was FULL OF STOKE and that spreads easily!
forty_eight

Postby unjonharley » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:07 pm

Kid come up with a flat tire.. He was willing to learn.. With a little instruction he fix his own.. He may have been all of 10 yr's
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby skippy3k » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:12 pm

Totally agree chuckularone. My wife and I had several conversations with parents and kids there. This year, we went trying to see the event through the eyes of our 9 and 12 year olds. We've discussed for years on whether to bring them or not. A long conversation with a mom by the man convinced us.

Next year will be completely different burn for us. But one I am looking forward to.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Postby Nipple » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:21 pm

One night, around 11pm, I stepped out of a container I was working in to be confronted by 2 kids riding dirt bikes in the dark.

I said "Jesus... you guys scared me."

"Ugh, WHY WOULD WE SCARE YOU?! ...WE'RE KIDS"

Then they rode off.
Nipple

Postby tatonka » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:24 pm

seen 2 7 or 8 year olds , one said to the other " I cant believe I saw that" I thought man you still got alot to see.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:20 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby beer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:.

Love this. Must use. :twisted:

k.
beer

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Kidsville

Postby tatonka » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:23 am

Children are the seeds of our future. Plant love in their hearts and water them with wisdom and life’s lessons. When they are grown, give them space to grow.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby forty_eight » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:56 pm

Has this been posted here?

http://burningman.org/event/preparation ... ving/kids/

http://z9hbb3mwou383x1930ve0ugl.wpengin ... lGuide.pdf

Getting fired up to head out to BRC with a one year old in 2016 ... we'll see if we go through with it when the time approaches.

But damn, I swear the kids looked like they were having just as much or more fun than the adults!
forty_eight

Postby skippy3k » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Let's see....crazy looking vehicles, flashing lights, loud music, costumes, and the right to not be clean for a whole week.

Yep. That's pretty much on every kid's list of fun!
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks