Whats going on???

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Whats going on???

Postby lazyloddy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:23 am

so, i was wondering if there is a programme line-up given at the gates or something...
how does everyone know what is happening when??
Choo Choooo, Awoogahhh....
lazyloddy

Postby Sic Pup » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:00 am

Upon entering you should receive:

- A Survival Guide
- A Tip Sheet
- The "What, Where, When" booklet (your programme)
- A map
- A Sticker
- Info on recycling
- A warm "welcome home" replete with a friendly warning on moop and maintaining the 5mph speed limit (imperative you heed both), a hug if you're/the greeter are so inclined.
- An invitation to make dust bunnies and bang the gong if you're a birgin (although spankings are no longer the de rigueur for greeters due to legal reasons any number of burners will be willing to accomodate once you're inside).

YMMV

Bear in mind the times in the WWW are Playa times so give or take a day or so. Most importantly be aware that those listed in the WWW are only those events that have registered there are many, many, many more interesting, wonderous and incomprehensible things occuring that are not listed. You'll have to explore to discover them, and don't for a second think an attempt to do everything is remotely feasible (certainly inadvisable).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby teardropper » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:19 am

I was gonna' say, our first burn, for the first three days we zipped back and forth acRoss the playa trying lot find and be on time for any number or things we saw and thought would be cool. The cruel lesson, playa time and place is worse than any third world country. I don't say don't try, because I know I will, but probably don't base your whole burn on that schedule.

There's just some things that look so damn fun/cool that i'll wanna' try. Be prepared to be distracted by the here and now...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:38 pm

teardropper wrote:I was gonna' say, our first burn, for the first three days we zipped back and forth acRoss the playa trying lot find and be on time for any number or things we saw and thought would be cool. The cruel lesson, playa time and place is worse than any third world country. I don't say don't try, because I know I will, but probably don't base your whole burn on that schedule.

There's just some things that look so damn fun/cool that i'll wanna' try. Be prepared to be distracted by the here and now...

Yep. Sound advice there. I find that most people that have been a few times that keep any kind of schedule generally do this:

Settle on three major things per day you'd like to make sure you are at: One morning time, one afternoon, and one evening. More than that and you are likely to miss something or be spending far too much time worrying.

If an event is VERY important to you, make your way over to its planned location a couple hours earlier (night before for AM things) and chat with the camp/artist to see if anything's changed.

In general, I make my way over to an area about an hour prior to the scheduled time and check it out then begin exploring nearby. See your event.

Repeat as needed..you'll make some "milestone" events, but also do some area exploring near each one.

Another really fun thing to do is set out for an event hours early and simply walk your way there, stopping to do things/meet people/do people along the way.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Every time I set out to a "scheduled" event, I would come across something else that piqued my interest along the way...never making it to the targeted event...and had stories to tell.

I have since stopped highlighting events in the WWW, head out and let what comes come. That said, there are some happenings that I know from experience that are as regular as clockwork..e.g. The Human Carcass Wash is one...I hit that thing at least twicet during the Burn...and many sunrise yoga gatherings occur at...sunrise.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby gaminwench » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:59 pm

... and how about the year (05?) the guide had Tuesday's event schedule accidentally(?) reprinted for Thursday...lots of confuzzled Burners showing up for events that had happened two days prior - kept our camp's Hostess for the day hopping!!
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby geospyder » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:06 pm

dragonpilot wrote:The Human Carcass Wash is one...

I keep meaning to get to the Human Carcass Wash. Maybe this year.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:11 pm

geospyder wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:The Human Carcass Wash is one...

I keep meaning to get to the Human Carcass Wash. Maybe this year.

It was hyped up a lot more than what I thought it would be...
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:10 pm

gaminwench wrote:... and how about the year (05?) the guide had Tuesday's event schedule accidentally(?) reprinted for Thursday...lots of confuzzled Burners showing up for events that had happened two days prior - kept our camp's Hostess for the day hopping!!

I think that was 07.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks