Gifts for the playa

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby fbcota » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:45 am

There are definitely some gifts that should not be given. Some kid last year was giving out Prize tickets from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, fucking great! I have 8 tickets, that I could use with another 992 to get a cheap fucking teddie bear if I go to Santa Cruz. Another kid was handing out cheap 3d glasses. I got the impression that both of these people looked at the "gift economy" idea as a requirement and thought short and lazily about how to spend as little money possible on their gifts.

My gifts:
Habenero Tequila
Ice Cream
Melons
Chocolate
Jelly Bellies
Avocado
Stickers for the art project this year
A couple hoodies and T-shirts from the project.
Water
Deep playa snacks (I always have enough snacks on me for 2 whole days or 2 whole people)
Art Projects
A barrel of aged snark
2 middle fingers
A metric ton of hugs
ohh and advice on how to separate from your partner for the day so you can experience the playa how you damn well please, and then find them later and share stories.

I hope Virgins participate in the gift economy, I just hope they remember that its not about items. Hard work is one of the best gifts anyone can give out their. Leaving your bullshit at home is another great gift. Just take the time and smile at the fact that you are in one of the most horrible places on the planet with 50,000 amazing people and whatever world you want at your fingertips.
fbcota

Postby Frostbite » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:16 am

[quote="VeganChoirGirl"]
Are you our FrostBite from stag??[/quote]

Yes, I am! Looks like there are more Staggers here than on the Stag site.

I also brought three extra pairs of dust goggles, and gave them out during dust storms. Several pieces of my clothing went to other people as well. I wasn't planning on giving the clothing away, but some of it just looked better on other people.

When it comes to gifts, just look at what you are buying for yourself, and pick up extras of those to give away. If you need it, chances are someone else does as well.
Frostbite

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:53 am

Frostbite wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:Are you our FrostBite from stag??

Yes, I am! Looks like there are more Staggers here than on the Stag site.

I also brought three extra pairs of dust goggles, and gave them out during dust storms. Several pieces of my clothing went to other people as well. I wasn't planning on giving the clothing away, but some of it just looked better on other people.

When it comes to gifts, just look at what you are buying for yourself, and pick up extras of those to give away. If you need it, chances are someone else does as well.

yeah, stag def quiet these days.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby psychoalpha » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:33 am

You know, just to play devil's advocate for a minute, the best gift I got last year (aside from my beautiful Burning Man 2010 pendant), was a pair of cheap glasses that looked like 3D glasses but actually just ended up imposing hearts over any light source. It was amazing. I wore those until they actually fell apart.
psychoalpha

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Postby hookahdude » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:39 am

Best gift I ever received was a lighter with a beaded cord through it that I could wear around my neck. I still have the cord and buy lighters like the one it came with - :-p
hookahdude

Postby Gardenfaerie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

I will be gifting hugs, smiles and a few handmade faerie wings
"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
Mark Twain
Gardenfaerie

Postby Lotus Amrita » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:01 pm

I will be making homemade chapstick with coconut oil and beeswax and aloe, and some other lovely additions <3
Lotus Amrita

Postby AntiM » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:54 am

Lotus Amrita wrote:I will be making homemade chapstick with coconut oil and beeswax and aloe, and some other lovely additions <3

Mmmm, melty goodness.....
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elderberry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:58 am

We gift those Otter Pops. Since we got the freezer we bring several cases. Additionally, we got a box of those neck bands that you soak in cold water and wear around your neck to keep cool to give as gifts. I still have the one that someone gave me on my first burn and I use it to this day.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Donna Matrix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:06 am

jkisha wrote:We gift those Otter Pops. Since we got the freezer we bring several cases. Additionally, we got a box of those neck bands that you soak in cold water and wear around your neck to keep cool to give as gifts. I still have the one that someone gave me on my first burn and I use it to this day.

Like yeah! I got ten boxes of icy pops............. that's 1000 pops. I'm going to hand out 100 a day................ (I am there for pre-burn as well, hence the 10 days)
Donna Matrix

Burning Since: 2004

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:21 am

psychoalpha wrote:You know, just to play devil's advocate for a minute, the best gift I got last year (aside from my beautiful Burning Man 2010 pendant), was a pair of cheap glasses that looked like 3D glasses but actually just ended up imposing hearts over any light source. It was amazing. I wore those until they actually fell apart.

They're available in star bursts and rainbows, too; generally given out for fireworks.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Elderberry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:29 am

Donna Matrix wrote:
jkisha wrote:We gift those Otter Pops. Since we got the freezer we bring several cases. Additionally, we got a box of those neck bands that you soak in cold water and wear around your neck to keep cool to give as gifts. I still have the one that someone gave me on my first burn and I use it to this day.

Like yeah! I got ten boxes of icy pops............. that's 1000 pops. I'm going to hand out 100 a day................ (I am there for pre-burn as well, hence the 10 days)

Ya, I wouldn't call them "souvenir gifts" but everybody loves them and they sure hit the spot in the heat of day. Though last year, it was so cold when we got there on Saturday we were worried we wouldn't be able to give them away! Fortunately, it warmed up by Monday or Tuesday.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Zode » Tue May 03, 2011 3:46 am

[quote="Lotus Amrita"]I will be making homemade chapstick with coconut oil and beeswax and aloe, and some other lovely additions <3[/quote]

I must say, this sounds pretty marvelous.
I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world. -Oscar Wilde
Zode

Postby J/J » Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 am

The sugaring season is over in the North Country and we procured from a local sugar bush, 30 quarts of pure New York State maple syrup. That works out to about 960 one ounce shots or about 137 shots per day over 7 days. We shall provide the “shot glassâ€
playa, embrace the dust - eplaya, embrace the snark
J/J

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Black Rock City Snowshoe Team

Postby Minxy » Tue May 03, 2011 4:29 am

Yummm!
Minxy

Postby C.f.M. » Tue May 03, 2011 6:26 am

Last year I screenprinted clothes for my camp and made some patches - and some stickers for the laydeez.

This year I'm making shot glasses and moonshine for Raider night, and souvenir CDs (maybe) of all the goddam rock and roll we'll be playing.

I'm also doing top-secret stuff for camp members, again.

As far as shitty "gifts" like plastic necklaces bought in bulk from Oriental Trading Company...just say no, if you don't like them. You can say no to hugs, beads, glowsticks and whatever else you don't want.

I have a lighter with a built in bottle opener - and the chapstick does sound good. I have some of that, too.

One of the best gifts I've received would be the frat boy who gave me cold water, a shot of Jager and some sunscreen.

The BEST gifts have been what Eplayans have done for me, like giving me a ride in and out, loaning me a tent, etc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naqEr2-7b7E&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
C.f.M.

Postby wraith » Tue May 03, 2011 6:43 am

That is my theory as well. The best gift is being in the right place at the right time, with a will to help.

Although I am bringing some proper handcrafted tonic water to give to fellow ginhounds.
wraith

Postby C.f.M. » Tue May 03, 2011 6:57 am

wraith wrote:That is my theory as well. The best gift is being in the right place at the right time, with a will to help.

Although I am bringing some proper handcrafted tonic water to give to fellow ginhounds.

Bringing it right to Playawaste Raiders in Terminal City.
C.f.M.

Postby wraith » Tue May 03, 2011 7:26 am

So long as it is going to someone who will enjoy it rather than dumping it as greywater, I am content. The best part of creation is always seeing someone else enjoy your work, after all.

There is another good gift. Appreciation. If someone does something that you enjoy, let em know. Works even better in defaultia simply because of how unexpected sincere appreciation can be.
wraith

Postby Age » Thu May 12, 2011 9:22 am

At most regionals I'm usually one of the first to set up, so I tend to gift a lot of manual labor by running around and helping others set up their camps, art projects, or the burn infrastructure. I'm not overly talented in terms of artistic creation, so it's harder for me to come up with more clever hand-made gifts. Much easier to lend a strong back and/or gift more practical things like food and booze.

But last year as a Playa virgin and arriving mid-week, I wanted to come up with something else to gift. So I made a utility type belt out of an old shotgun shell bandolier. This left me with 30 or so shell straps between the rings for pouch clips, and I filled the 30 shell straps with lip balms and sharpies. Turned out to be a moderate success. Gave away about 20 of each, brought another 10 or 20 home.

Postby C.f.M. » Thu May 12, 2011 9:42 am

Age wrote:Much easier to lend a strong back and/or gift more practical things like food and booze.

Yup. A lot of people get overwhelmed by the a-r-t and don't realize it's PartICIPATION that makes burns happen.

Not to mention, that's how you really meet people. I think of my favorite people and closest friends and it wasn't a trinket that brought/kept us together, it was the work and helping each other.
C.f.M.

Postby Tazz » Sat May 14, 2011 10:57 pm

I keep my tool belt handy. As well as extra rope, duct tape and rebar. When the wind starts to blow, opportunities to help (participate) abound!

Also keep extra bandanas in my pack to gift during the dust storms as well.

Favorite gifts I have received:

Hugs at the greeter gate
Magnetized patch of the Black Rock City Airport logo. It's on my fridge.
A necklace type art piece molded and fired from playa dust (Kewl!)
A hand decorated hoola hoop.
A hand-made moop bag
A CD of playa music. I play it when homesick,
A hand-made and painted ceramic "magic mushroom". After all, I am an old hippie!
An "As many rides as I want" Pass on the wonderful Mutant Vehicle, "Luna Pilar"

Damn, now I want the gate road to open at Midnight tomorrow!!
Tazz

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Tazz » Sat May 14, 2011 11:12 pm

I believe C.f.M (and others) are correct. Looking over my gifts received list I realize that most are thank you gifts. Being ready to lend a helping hand is always appreciated. And it helps me feel like l belong, which is at times difficult as I am in awe of the creativity and talent I see around every corner of the city.
Tazz

Burning Since: 2006

Postby C.f.M. » Mon May 16, 2011 6:12 am

Tazz wrote:I believe C.f.M (and others) are correct. Looking over my gifts received list I realize that most are thank you gifts. Being ready to lend a helping hand is always appreciated. And it helps me feel like l belong, which is at times difficult as I am in awe of the creativity and talent I see around every corner of the city.

I was pretty blue for a while at first, being a non-fire spinning/belly dancing/whatever. But you know what? Volunteering is an art. If it wasn't for us, those kids wouldn't have a burn to show off at. One might not be able to bring a sculpture, have a dance floor, etc. but somebody's gotta work behind the scenes and make it all happen. Light the lamps. Tear the tickets. Pound the stakes - grill the steaks!

"Volunteering is sexy!"
C.f.M.

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 16, 2011 9:39 am

You forgot "Sweep up after the elephants."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby graidawg » Mon May 16, 2011 9:49 am

makes me smile this thread, things i can give to people im going to meet :D
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Undecided » Mon May 16, 2011 1:14 pm

I made these for this year:

Undecided

Postby Savannah » Mon May 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Those are sweet!
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure