Gifts for the playa

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby Undecided » Mon May 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Thank you :) Glad people like them. Pleased with the turn out considering I am a mess in Photoshop.

My wifey is making some cool friendship bracelets as well.

We're trying to do our first year proper.
Undecided

Burning Since: 2011

Postby gaminwench » Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm

You're on the right track!!
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Undecided » Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Lol, I sure hope so. While I am as prepared as I can be, I feel about as unprepared as possible.
Undecided

Postby gaminwench » Mon May 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Your first time, you will over prepare, and feel under-prepared... happens to us all...
Once you've popped your cherry, you'll realize that you don't need 'X', but should have brought 'Y'...
make that list as soon as you leave the playa... we do ours during Exodus; then, next year, when it's time to pack, you won't have to remember the finer points!
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Foxfur » Thu May 19, 2011 12:24 am

[quote="tootsybean"]The sugaring season is over in the North Country and we procured from a local sugar bush, 30 quarts of pure New York State maple syrup. That works out to about 960 one ounce shots or about 137 shots per day over 7 days. We shall provide the “shot glassâ€
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

What do you think of Rollens?

Postby nosambos » Thu May 19, 2011 5:00 am

I buy these in packs of 100. A uv blocking piece of plastic used as sunglasses. They grab the face and can be worn under eye glasses. When not in use they are worn around the wrist. Some may consider this borderline MOOP.
nosambos

Gifting Alcohol

Postby 530 Poppa » Tue May 24, 2011 11:19 pm

This is my second burn and I make some really good peppermint schnaps. Would this go over well for a gift to a bar or etc..?
530 Poppa

Re: Gifting Alcohol

Postby dragonpilot » Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 pm

530 Poppa wrote:This is my second burn and I make some really good peppermint schnaps. Would this go over well for a gift to a bar or etc..?

Anything that has to do with booze is just fine!

Coupla years ago I sat with friends who'd brought several different flavor-infused chilled vodkas. As folks strolled by they'd invite them to stop in and have a sip or three...made for a totally fun afternoon making new friends!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Savannah » Tue May 24, 2011 11:51 pm

530 Poppa wrote:This is my second burn and I make some really good peppermint schnaps. Would this go over well for a gift to a bar or etc..?

Welcome to ePlaya, 530 Poppa!

I'm sure a bar would welcome your contribution. Although I hope dragonpilot's account of inviting people in off the street is also inspiring, because you MADE this schnapps, and that's pretty cool.

I mean, I don't (consciously) know anybody who makes schnapps. And if I personally made a beverage, I might not be able to resist hearing reviews or meeting people that way.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby 530 Poppa » Wed May 25, 2011 10:26 am

Thank you for the warm welcome Savannah. I will be bringing some schnapps to the playa this year.

I like the idea of inviting people off the street to sample my beverages as well as taking them to a bar.
530 Poppa

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed May 25, 2011 10:49 am

[quote="Foxfur"][quote="tootsybean"]The sugaring season is over in the North Country and we procured from a local sugar bush, 30 quarts of pure New York State maple syrup. That works out to about 960 one ounce shots or about 137 shots per day over 7 days. We shall provide the “shot glassâ€
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Danger is funny
Super Evil Brian

Camp Name: Journeylizm

Postby Savannah » Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 am

Edited 7/18/11 - Gnarly BBCode error seems to have affected this now-illegible message during the changeover or something. Oh wellz.
Last edited by Savannah on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Savannah

Postby Foxfur » Wed May 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Savannah, your taste is exquisite!

I'm bringing garnets that I found mining last year.

Ff
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed May 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Trader Joes, at least in Sacramento, carries La Playa brand beer. Really cheap (under $5 a sixer) but gives people a thrill on the playa. I always buy a few cases just for gifting (personally would never be caught drinking the stuff unless there was nothing else available).
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby geospyder » Thu May 26, 2011 5:53 pm

I just picked up some small corked glass containers that can be hung as a pendant. I plan to fill them with small bits of copper from last year's man.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Thu May 26, 2011 6:09 pm

I'll probably be doing stickers this year, or custom lighters. My only skill is graphic design, so I have to work with what I got :)

I love those dog tags though, wish I'd thought of that
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby FaeTora » Thu May 26, 2011 8:31 pm

I will probably do what I did last year. But have to see what my account looks like next month before I do it again.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby Trishntek » Thu May 26, 2011 10:18 pm

We snagged some Bic-like lighters with an LED flashlight built into it. I think we have 50 of them. I'll probably have a few with me for anyone that wants one.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Gifts

Postby SouthernExposure » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:12 pm

I am a first year burner but have been dreaming about this for a long time.

I am making several things for gifting. One of them is a cooling neckerchief that you soak in water and the water retaining pellets inside of the neckerchief swell up and slowly evaporate. The evaporation cools your neck and gives you great relief. It ought ot work nicely on the playa.

Another item that I am working on are 6" poseable figures that I am calling the Burning Rubber Man. Think Gumby.

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Those neck coolers are great. We're bringing those out to gift too.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby SouthernExposure » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:05 am

The cooling bandanas are easy to make (if you can sew, easier if you can't and someone else does it for you), are rather inexpensive compared to retail and you can use recycled materials. If anyone is interested in making these, here's a link for instructions.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sew-Ver ... ck-Cooler/

Goin' home.

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby Minxy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:44 am

SouthernExposure wrote:The cooling bandanas are easy to make (if you can sew, easier if you can't and someone else does it for you), are rather inexpensive compared to retail and you can use recycled materials. If anyone is interested in making these, here's a link for instructions.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sew-Ver ... ck-Cooler/

Goin' home.

SE

THANKS SE :D
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Re:

Postby wimala1 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:03 pm

[quote="DB Cooper"]OMG I just ordered the best gifts! I'm going to give them out to EVERYONE, they'll really liven up the party. Soon to be prowd owner of 200,000 of these:
[img]http://stores.m-e-products.com/catalog/6801_detail.jpg[/img]

I can't wait to see how much everyone loves them on they playa.[/quote]

sorry if this is a redundant requote - i haven't read past this - but these have to be the WORSTTTTTTTTTTTT kind of gift EVER!!! Moop Central!!!
boyznme
wimala1

Re: Gifts for the playa

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:54 am

You know, it just occurred to me that I have thousands and thousands of 2oz travel size bottles of all natural coconut & vanilla body lotion since my "job" in defaultia is ownership of a skin care company. Wondering if the giving away of these would be frowned on as advertising?

It wouldn't be intentional, just a side effect of the gift. I guess it would be in the spirit/motivation of the giving itself. Moop factor as well for the plastic bottle. Just a thought though..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 am

junglesmacks wrote:You know, it just occurred to me that I have thousands and thousands of 2oz travel size bottles of all natural coconut & vanilla body lotion since my "job" in defaultia is ownership of a skin care company. Wondering if the giving away of these would be frowned on as advertising?

It wouldn't be intentional, just a side effect of the gift. I guess it would be in the spirit/motivation of the giving itself. Moop factor as well for the plastic bottle. Just a thought though..

I think it sounds lovely and it wouldn't be any more advertising than Purell or Chapstick or [brand] of sunscreen or some truck rental company. :wink:
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby jcliff » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:58 am

After two Burns of bringing no actual physical gifts, I'm stepping up to the plate this year. I'm making 200 handmade naturals lip balms with a pretty cool Burner Balm label. I tweaked the recipe to make it a harder balm. I've found that most lip balm gets too warm and goopy on the playa. I'm also making mint tins with Burning Man quotes decoupaged on the cover. I found the quotes on another thread. Someone was going to use them for an art piece. They're hilarious and the tins will make a nice ashtray for smokers or something to keep trinkets in.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:02 am

Those sound great. :)
Savannah

Postby joya » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Hello All

What do my fellow e-playans think about the gift of a piece of orgonite???

I just got a bunch of pretty-colored (pink, blue, green) orgonite "tower busters" that I'd like to give as gifts. My only hesitations are that 1) most people don't know what this is or 2) it might be looked upon as "moop"

Thoughts?
Burning Man: I'm over it.
joya

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Can you securely wrap some wire around it (or something) to make it a pendant? It seems like a pretty idea, but if you allow people a way to attach it to their stuff, the moop possibility is greatly reduced.
Savannah

Postby waxpraxis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Yeah, I would go for a pendant. When I was coming up with ideas for cool stuff to bring my buddy, who has gone for a few years, said "Remember, naked people don't have pockets"!
waxpraxis

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks