Survival Gear

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby unjonharley » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:34 pm

'

Come to think of it..We put the inside fish outside.. I have emptyed,scrubed out amd refilled the 50gl tank in the house.. Also put in a new filter.. It just sits there filtering.. Now if only a tree don't fall on the house.. We have a septic sewer system.. So we can flush if we want t spend the water..

I made a little still some years ago.. We can make fresh water if times get hard..
unjonharley

Postby Major Krash » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Martiansky wrote:@Major Krash
Do you know if any of those used geiger counters on eB*y are good?

I do not even know if the one I bought re-manufactured really works...having no source material (tried to convince a building inspector friend of mine to bring one of his isotope thingies home, but apparently they are pretty tightly controlled...)

I hope none of us ever has the need to know if they work or not...

Google "Kearny Fallout Radiation Meter (KFM)" for a fairly simple homemade detector for ionizing radiation...

edit:

Of people who, in a few days, each receive a dose of 350 roentgens under nuclear war conditions, about half will die.

The News mentioned a peak of ~350-700 mSv, or about .3-.7 Rads (Grays really)...so working next to this for 700 hours would be expected to kill 50% of the people or so...assuming it does not get worse
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby unjonharley » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Major Krash wrote:
Martiansky wrote:@Major Krash
Do you know if any of those used geiger counters on eB*y are good?

I do not even know if the one I bought re-manufactured really works...having no source material (tried to convince a building inspector friend of mine to bring one of his isotope thingies home, but apparently they are pretty tightly controlled...)

I hope none of us ever has the need to know if they work or not...

Google "Kearny Fallout Radiation Meter (KFM)" for a fairly simple homemade detector for ionizing radiation...

edit:

Of people who, in a few days, each receive a dose of 350 roentgens under nuclear war conditions, about half will die.

The News mentioned a peak of ~350-700 mSv, or about .3-.7 Rads (Grays really)...so working next to this for 700 hours would be expected to kill 50% of the people or so...assuming it does not get worse

How much would a RAD badge (like xray people wear) cost. It could give you 5 min worning before you drop dead..
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:01 am

Do you have a hand crank cell phone charger???

Looking at the wind up radio, it looks like I may be able to double the battery and charge AAA for the 100LED flash lights.
unjonharley

Geiger Counter Testing

Postby Robai » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Well, if you REALLY want to test your Geiger counter...you can buy your very own radioactive material to do that with:

http://www.unitednuclear.com/
Robai

Postby Major Krash » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:58 pm

unjonharley wrote:Do you have a hand crank cell phone charger???

no, I have my burner power stuff (a couple gennys (including one that does 220), a 123w solar cell, some 10-15w cells, a bunch of invertors, and a deep cycle battery array)

the standard stuff.
Major Krash

Postby unjonharley » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Major Krash wrote:

no, I have my burner power stuff (a couple gennys (including one that does 220), a 123w solar cell, some 10-15w cells, a bunch of invertors, and a deep cycle battery array)

the standard stuff.

I have all that stuff.. But when the building is down on top of it I will need the little thing like a cell phone, a quick shelter and a way to have a fire.. This pocket stuff is as important when all the goody are gone.. I have stuff in the house, shop and van.. Most is in pails easy to grab and run.. Marked ICE..
unjonharley

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Something for charging the phone.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:09 pm

A sense of humor.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Major Krash » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:10 pm

unjonharley wrote:
Major Krash wrote:

the standard stuff.

I have all that stuff.. But when the building is down on top of it I will need the little thing like a cell phone, a quick shelter and a way to have a fire.. This pocket stuff is as important when all the goody are gone.. I have stuff in the house, shop and van.. Most is in pails easy to grab and run.. Marked ICE..

ahh...that would be the tri-band HT in the Go-Bag...with a 7ah btty and one of the 15w panels...along with a variety of connectors and stuff.

have to admit though I just got it 2 months ago, and still learning what all it can do and what repeaters, etc are where
Major Krash

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks