1st Timers: 1 Question, 1 Answer

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby Rice » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:47 pm

delle wrote:
AntiM wrote: However, I have a roomy mansion with extra guest cottages, a coach house, and a bowling alley.

Thread drift.

Sounds like my vagina after my last kid! Damn shame!!! :cry:

Cannot resist ... Must share:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agfhgn1_yKE[/youtube]

Love Rice
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Reminds me of my long lost love.

Her name was Harriet, But she let me call her Harry.(sigh)

She had beutiful plaid hair and paisly eyes.(sigh)

Her tiny mustache tickled my belly.(sigh)

When she shook her bootie, I could hear distinct slapping noises.(sigh)

Her name was like poetry.(sigh)

HARRY FLAPSADDLE WHERE ARE YOU MY BELOVED!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby BBadger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:21 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Okay I have a question about coffee. How the heck do you get a french press clean enough to use again without running water? I was sure I'd have to settle for drip but lots of people on here talk like using a french press on the playa is no big deal. Are y'all carting out copious amounts of grey water or what?

I can't even operate a French press at home without making a mess and having some coffee ground slurry to dump in the garbage.

Buy yourself an Aeropress. It's like a French press, only more like a syringe in that it uses a sealing plunger, and pushes the coffee out the bottom (through a filter). The grounds come out as a dense "puck" and after dumping the puck, there's just a small rinse of the remaining bits on the end of the plunger. Good coffee if I do say so myself, though more an espresso-type than French press.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:41 pm

We use an old fashioned campfire percolator with the little glass bubble on top. Once the coffee has perked, we take out the filter on its stem. We just set the filter aside on a paper towel, covered by one in case of excessive dust, then wipe it out with a paper towel when the grounds are dry. You can burn dry grounds.
Just get coarse grind coffee, the fine stuff for drip machines goes right through the filter holes. Mmm, texture.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby dr.placebo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:28 pm

BeanTown wrote:I will be packing food for myself and my girlfriend, both of us have low blood sugar issues and food allergies, mostly nuts and dairy. Any food suggestion and how big of a cooler do you usually take?

You know best when it comes to your food allergies. My suggestion is to have water and dried fruit whenever you leave camp.

Whatever you would do for a week of car camping should be a good starting plan, although your appetite may decrease in the high desert (ours does). We keep a good size wheeled cooler to indulge ourselves, but often have more food than we need. Ice is available for purchase every day (per BLM stipulation).
dr.placebo

Postby BeanTown » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks folks! I was planning on making my own nutrition bars, pickled veggies, and dried fruits.
BeanTown

Postby BeanTown » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:39 am

Has anyone had any luck with the Shelter-Systems playa dome set up?
BeanTown

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:56 pm

BeanTown- #1 rule with your food allergies should be to only eat food you bring or prepare yourself- esp. w/ the nut allergy (depending on its severity).

I've got a mild dairy allergy but still have to be careful out there- one slice of cheese can have me laid up for hours, once I get through the "expected" part of the allergy (nasty nasty in a Blue Room, trust me).

Depending on how long you're planning on being there, I'd say two coolers- one for frozen food, one for cold food (another for beer if you're bringing that) The links for the food threads posted above will have ideas on how to arrange the coolers.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Sham » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Eric wrote:I've got a mild dairy allergy

Admit it, you Eric are a lactard!
Sham

Postby ibdave » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Shambala wrote:
Eric wrote:I've got a mild dairy allergy

Admit it, you Eric are a lactard!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yl3UMO-TkE[/youtube]
8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:57 am

BeanTown wrote:Thanks folks! I was planning on making my own nutrition bars, pickled veggies, and dried fruits.

Good call on bringing your own snacks etc. I have blood sugar issues and am Vegan so being on playa means a little mroe prep, just like normal. Be sure to plan your sugar/protein balance so it lasts longer. (Im sure you knw) Eating protien with Sugars makes it stick longer and keeps blood sugar even. If you have backapacks/Camelbaks be sure you have room for some snacks. My camelpak the first 2 years only holds maybe one granola bar and some spare batteries and thats not enough. Plan your food and you'll be golden :)
LindseyRaeFace

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:35 am

(feeling the lead into yet another backpack thread)
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby graidawg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:16 am

there's a backpack thread? :shock: :shock: :shock:
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:31 am

There's almost any thread you can dream of. The trick is to use the most common word + the most likely forum + the "Search" link at the top center of the page.

I clicked "search", entered "backpack" for the keyword, and selected "Q&A Tips and Tricks" to narrow the search down to this forum only.

The backpack thread was halfway down the very first page of results.

I could have searched the results page even faster if I'd also pressed Cntrl + F on a PC or Command + F (the Apple key or "Splat" key on a Mac) and entered "backpack" to find that piece of text on the page. Because yes--it was a crowded page.

viewtopic.php?t=34977

My favorite backpack is a dust-colored army surplus but after 5 or 6 days of wearing it for a couple of hours per day in a tank top, the canvas straps do start to chafe. I'm bringing a messenger bag too this year.

Eta: there may be more than one backpack thread. There are usually several threads per subject . . .
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Mojojita » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 am

FIGJAM wrote:I have a spare set of keys on a lanyard around my neck when not in camp. (It also has my spare ID and led flashlight on it.)

Sigh - Figjam already had me with the evap cooler in a bucket - now this! *swoon*
Mojojita

Postby dr.placebo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:44 pm

BeanTown wrote:Has anyone had any luck with the Shelter-Systems playa dome set up?

Yep. I've got an 18' dome that has seen the playa twice, as well as a couple of other events. It holds up well to the wind, and provides some shelter from dust, but it is not dust proof. It's a good rain shelter as well (tested last year on the playa). It is easy and cheap to replace the PVC as needed. And it is lightweight.

It is not trivial to set up, but a single person can do so. It is much easier to have at least a pair set it up.

It can heat up a lot, but using a layer of shade cloth on the outside makes it quite tolerable.

The biggest downside is the expense. It is cheaper to DIY, but may cost a lot of your time.
dr.placebo

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:15 pm

Savannah wrote:There's almost any thread you can dream of. The trick is to use the most common word + the most likely forum + the "Search" link at the top center of the page.

I clicked "search", entered "backpack" for the keyword, and selected "Q&A Tips and Tricks" to narrow the search down to this forum only.

The backpack thread was halfway down the very first page of results.

I could have searched the results page even faster if I'd also pressed Cntrl + F on a PC or Command + F (the Apple key or "Splat" key on a Mac) and entered "backpack" to find that piece of text on the page. Because yes--it was a crowded page.

viewtopic.php?t=34977

My favorite backpack is a dust-colored army surplus but after 5 or 6 days of wearing it for a couple of hours per day in a tank top, the canvas straps do start to chafe. I'm bringing a messenger bag too this year.

Eta: there may be more than one backpack thread. There are usually several threads per subject . . .

Sav is, as always, supremely helpful!

I agree, back packs can be reaaaaallly chaffing. Try making soft covers for your back pack or camelback straps. It can be really helpful.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Sixty-seven hits on [shelter systems] via the eplaya search engine.

Try it now, you might get 68.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby lucky.bastard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 am

I am flying into reno and renting a small car on monday afternoon.., my question is about getting a bike out there.

my concerns are:

renting a bike in reno = $100+ bike rack + what if it gets lost/ stolen ?

buying a used one on the way in = what if i can't find one?

wallyworld = unassembled / low quality / goes against my desire to buy used when i can

my own round about way of asking; what is the best way to get a bike out there if you are flying in from the east coast ?

<<< i have searched and read lots of treads >>>
<<< i like the idea of donating it post-burn >>>
<<< i wouldn't mind bribing an eplayian or camp with top shelf liquor/ $ for helping me out >>>
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
lucky.bastard

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 am

lucky.bastard wrote:renting a bike in reno = $100+ bike rack + what if it gets lost/ stolen ?

I don't think anyone in Reno would rent a bike for Burning Man. The playa tends to destroy bikes.

wallyworld = unassembled / low quality / goes against my desire to buy used when i can

May be the best option if you can't bribe someone with your fancy liquor :)
There's no shame in a Wallyworld bike for people flying in- lots of people use them. I agree that used is better (all mine have been beaters picked up in SF), but the likelihood of finding a used bike in Reno on Burn week gets dicey.

There will be more posts on this as summer nears, and some of the places that have used bikes will let you reserve one over the phone & pick it up when you get in.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:12 am

BeanTown wrote:Thanks folks! I was planning on making my own nutrition bars, pickled veggies, and dried fruits.

before you do that, try to find and sample a Larabar. They are made from all natural ingredients, no preservatives, no sweeteners and they are gluten free. The best part, is the texture is perfect and they taste incredibly good. They are made in Denver but sold nationally
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:55 pm

I would like to put a cruise control on my diesel truck, but found out that its drive by wire and cant locate info on "how to" or what I might need.

Anyone got any info? :?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:38 pm

lucky.bastard wrote:

FYI the Wallyworld bikes are around $70, fully assembled, not that bad of quality, and you can always donate it to the Reno Bike Project afterwords.

Last year after checking out all the used bikes for rent for $40-$50 and seeing how trashed they were and not even big enough for me and I'm only 6'1", I just bought a floor model at WM. Someone in the camp offered to take it home in their trailer and bring it back this year. Problem solved.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:34 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I would like to put a cruise control on my diesel truck, but found out that its drive by wire and cant locate info on "how to" or what I might need.

Anyone got any info? :?

Make, Model, Year, Engine and Serial number?!

Well maybe not serial number.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:37 pm

I reposted at Da bar.

1998 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 6.5 liter diesel. 4 speed auto trans.

But it has to be drive by wire.

Thanks.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Trishntek » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:39 am

AntiM wrote:We use an old fashioned campfire percolator with the little glass bubble on top. Once the coffee has perked, we take out the filter on its stem. We just set the filter aside on a paper towel, covered by one in case of excessive dust, then wipe it out with a paper towel when the grounds are dry. You can burn dry grounds.
Just get coarse grind coffee, the fine stuff for drip machines goes right through the filter holes. Mmm, texture.

We use the electric single serve "K-CUP" coffee maker. There's no waste of water and the grounds are contained and disposed of in the garbage with no mess. Fresh cup in 2 minutes. Of course it requires 1500 watts to operate, but since we have a genset for backup to our solar array anyway,,,,,,

I'm a coffee addict,,,, so it is worth it to me,,,, no wasted water and no messy grounds.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks